Update on HPAI Detection in Kansas, Texas Dairy Herds

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks farmerjan. I do see my cows a lot and would notice any changes. As for overreacting I'm not, I just want to know from real cow people

Thanks farmerjan. I do see my cows a lot and would notice any changes. As for overreacting I'm not, I just want to know from real cow people around the country what's going on and any information that might be helpful in the future. Around here there's no dairy just beef so nobody is "on the front lines" so to speak to be able to get real information.

Thanks farmerjan. I do see my cows a lot and would notice any changes. As for overreacting I'm not, I just want to know from real cow people around the country what's going on and any information that might be helpful in the future. Around here there's no dairy just beef so nobody is "on the front lines" so to speak to be able to get real information.
Hope you find some information on the usda website... it is pretty decent reading and they have several updates listed so not like reading "stupid propaganda"...as in anything, read and then make your own opinions... but I do go on there and try to get some of the latest info and then keep it in my mind when I hear other stuff...

Yes, all of those things MIGHT occur... but most show very little signs of that, and honestly, how many people see their beef cattle that often to notice those differences. Unless you see a cow that is "off" and then have a vet do a blood test ( I think that it can show up in blood... but whatever they do to test it besides milk) then it is highly unlikely you are going to know if they have it. It is mostly showing up in the milk and in a drop in feed consumption... and they seem to get over it in about 2 weeks from the last reports I have read. I'm not a vet, but the dairy farmers I have talked to here recently are not going into panic mode over it in this area. Our vet did preg checks last week on a group of cows and he said it is not on the top of their list to be worrying about with the dairy herds he does regular herd checks for and no beef cows are on their radar. We have a much bigger problem here with is Longhorn tick disease ...
theileria... which causes unthrifty cattle, abortion and can kill the cattle if severe. These ticks are a major problem...especially along the interstate routes is seems... and then cattle taken home to other areas... found a "normal tick" on the scotum of bull that just went through his BSE the other day....
The theileria is much more of an issue to worry about here also. 5% + of the cattle that are effected die.

Latest posts