Use of Super Absorbent Polymers - Sodium Polyacrylate

Help Support CattleToday:

For what?
My 'guess', since he's from Central Florida, is to retain moisture instead of it just running right down thru that sugar sand Florida is so famous for. The sodium Polycrylate does suck up water like crazy but also weeps it back out, (due to gravity) very slowly. The tiny roots in forage grasses also have the ability to pull it straight from the polymer, but, from everything I've seen about it, cost would be a big no no for the average rancher/farmer.

In congruence with my current agroforestry project to produce a long-term source of cold-season tree fodder at my microranch, my curiosity re:SAPs is based on a research paper i came across that states,
"It has been shown that amendment
of soils with SAPs not only significantly enhances the survival of the trees, but also leads to a much higher timber yield. With a two-fold increase in height and a two-fold increase in diameter, the hydrogel amended trees grew eight times faster than the surviving control trees."
Source:
"Utilisation of biochar and superabsorbent polymers for soil amendment"
Science Progress (2013), 96(1), 85–94
Doi:10.3184/003685013X13587941096281

My 'guess', since he's from Central Florida, is to retain moisture instead of it just running right down thru that sugar sand Florida is so famous for. The sodium Polycrylate does suck up water like crazy but also weeps it back out, (due to gravity) very slowly. The tiny roots in forage grasses also have the ability to pull it straight from the polymer, but, from everything I've seen about it, cost would be a big no no for the average rancher/farmer.
That makes sense. Thanks!

I'd rather work to increase the organic matter of the soil using grazing management and wasted hay. That's just me.

Doubt anyone's used the stuff you're asking about. Sounds no Bueno to me.
Wasted hay would be a great option if i had the means to produce my own hay. None of the local feed stores can vouch for the source of their hay so i do not use wasted hay for mulching etc. I've seen to many stories on YouTube about people inadvertently ruining their gardens from mulching with hay contaminated with long-lasting Grazon.

You should be able to find a local hay guy that doesn't use Grazon. Though with the "soil" you have where you are, I don't know that it would be much help. From what I know over on the SW coast, soil is just a theory, you have pure sand. No experience with the polymers, they seem more geared toward smaller scale like gardening.

Wasted hay would be a great option if i had the means to produce my own hay. None of the local feed stores can vouch for the source of their hay so i do not use wasted hay for mulching etc. I've seen to many stories on YouTube about people inadvertently ruining their gardens from mulching with hay contaminated with long-lasting Grazon.
It'll sure kill some stuff. My garden is in year 3 of the bs. Hoping it's better this year.

Find someone that makes hay and doesn't use the stuff. If they're just using 24d shouldn't be a problem. Feed store is probably the worst place to buy hay I'd think. You want to deal with a producer, not a trader.

Doesn't have to be wasted hay really. Just feed them in different areas. The manure and urine, as well as hoof effect and more is what does the magic. Good rest periods. The organic matter will increase and so will moisture retention, nutrient cycle, and all the other goodness.

Takes a little work and time, but it's not much money's.

Latest posts