Vegan/Animal Rights Propaganda

Help Support CattleToday:

What I don't completely understand is why animal rights activists like predators? It seems, they are more anti farmer than pro animal welfare.
Funny you mention that...

I've actually met some (internet conversations) animal rights people that would like to catch and contain all predators and "convert" them, feeding them vegan. I think they must live in a basement somewhere and have never seen anything outside.

Like @TCRanch does with the farm to table tours, we offer farm tours to our Airbnb and VRBO guests.
We enjoy being able to share with others about the REALITY of agriculture. So many people are now several generations removed from any knowledge and unfortunately much of what they "know" about farming and ranching is what people and organizations with an anti ag agenda has promoted.
We enjoy when the opportunity comes to show folks around, talk about what we do and don't do, and answer questions.
It's really telling of how much influence the anti ag crowd has had when you can noticeably tell when folks realize that what they had been lead to believe wasn't the real story.
Sometimes some people are just set in what they believe.
Sister-in-law from California, saw sone internet video of a dairy calf being mistreated. Never could convince her that that was a rare thing and that most anybody that has livestock knows that handing animals in an abusive or neglectful way is not sensible or productive from any standpoint.
She's close to vegetarian, but will eat some chicken or seafood. She only eats eggs from "happy chickens".

I really despise the wanna be intellectuals. You know, those people that are convinced they know how I should live my life better than I do. If you don't believe me, just ask them.

I'm convince that there is a special class of people that need some real hardship in their life so they have something to do other than think about how other people should live their lives...I really do wish that kind of hardship on them

Well I'm here too... and you aren't. Would a state be too much to ask for?
There is a small handful of contributors on here with whom I would share that information, you among them.
Were I to do that I have a feeling that any topic of discussion I entered into would immediately have political implications.
I am not certain if you realize how many thousands of eyes have access to the forum who may or may not have an interest
in acquiring information with nothing in common with topic of discussion. When I sign in I am bombarded with a continual
stream of advertising, much of it lurid, most of it of no interest to any one engaged in an agricultural venue. It is not my
financial responsibility to police the content of the advertising on CT if I do not in the process there of have complete contol
of the content of my topic.

I appreciate your straight forward no nonsense approach to almost any topic. I did at one time give a general geographical
location of where I am when home. I will say I have a Denver area phone number but I am seldom within 600 miles of that
address. At the moment my thrust is to ensure the application of the Country of Origin Label into our retail markets.
I appreciate your color blind loyalty to our industry and you have my best wishes for your continue success. Lee

In this case, the Gov of CO doesn't have that capability and his husband is a Vegan. Seriously. Yikes!

What, are they all sheep shaggers TC?

Ken

I'm . . . . speechless at the moment. But not surprised. How can we, as an industry, dispel the myths? Unfortunately, I don't know if we can anymore.

There is a small handful of contributors on here with whom I would share that information, you among them.
Were I to do that I have a feeling that any topic of discussion I entered into would immediately have political implications.
I am not certain if you realize how many thousands of eyes have access to the forum who may or may not have an interest
in acquiring information with nothing in common with topic of discussion. When I sign in I am bombarded with a continual
stream of advertising, much of it lurid, most of it of no interest to any one engaged in an agricultural venue. It is not my
financial responsibility to police the content of the advertising on CT if I do not in the process there of have complete contol
of the content of my topic.

I appreciate your straight forward no nonsense approach to almost any topic. I did at one time give a general geographical
location of where I am when home. I will say I have a Denver area phone number but I am seldom within 600 miles of that
address. At the moment my thrust is to ensure the application of the Country of Origin Label into our retail markets.
I appreciate your color blind loyalty to our industry and you have my best wishes for your continue success. Lee
Wow, Lee... That's very nice of you. And I understand the reticence and really don't mean to pry. Just interested in what kind of area so I can visualize where your thoughts are coming from as you offer insight. I suppose all states vary enough that it's pretty much meaningless anyhow now that I'm thinking about it. Certainly eastern SD is much different than west.

I turned off the advertising when I signed up so you might try to figure that out.

Be well...

Those are some great articles. I especially appreciated the counter to water use hyperbole in the first article... and the call to critical thinking in the second.

It really is disturbing when a teacher makes an "assignment instructed her 6th-grade students to write an argumentative essay "but did not permit students to disagree". She explained, "There's only one right answer to this essay."

I'm . . . . speechless at the moment. But not surprised. How can we, as an industry, dispel the myths? Unfortunately, I don't know if we can anymore.
I'll urge you to do whatever you can do comfortably. I spend a lot of time voicing real information on the internet, and I've written magazine editors to inform them of the differences between popular opinion and what's really going on. IMO it's getting dangerous as the popular opinion becomes believed by more and more people that vote.

What I don't understand is how all the agricultural schools are so silent. They are the bastions of accurate agricultural knowledge and teaching our future agriculturalists... and yet they aren't mentioned in articles, or posting anything to inform.

I'll urge you to do whatever you can do comfortably. I spend a lot of time voicing real information on the internet, and I've written magazine editors to inform them of the differences between popular opinion and what's really going on. IMO it's getting dangerous as the popular opinion becomes believed by more and more people that vote.

What I don't understand is how all the agricultural schools are so silent. They are the bastions of accurate agricultural knowledge and teaching our future agriculturalists... and yet they aren't mentioned in articles, or posting anything to inform.
In addition to the schools, how about our checkoff dollars?

I think AG has become a target because it can give the appearance of a wealthy man's game. When I meet people out of the city it's always shocking to me their views of us, the land, animals equipment, etc.

I recently met a young, black woman that had grown up in the city her whole life. She is working in a field that is outdoors and predominantly male. She is very smart in a logical, mechanical, sense. She has a background in process plants. She told me she had considered trying to stop eating meat because of the animal treatment. It was not the butcher part but she had seen propaganda on the handling.

It was really nice to get some one's view on it who wasn't a radical. Basically to see it from their side.

Honestly, I didn't try to defend the whole industry because frankly there ate some bad sides. Instead I pointed her to avenues like farm to table. Places where they will open their doors to show you their animals and the process. I showed her videos of us feeding and working cattle. I tried to encourage her to find an operation she could and support them.

It seemed to actually work. We also discussed some stuff with hunting. What is sad is there is tons of bad info easily accessible to her. She was having a hard time finding good, realistic, info. I do think putting a real person, she knows, to the info helped, also.

Latest posts