weaning weight for Red Angus?

Help Support CattleToday:

lmp570

Reaction score
if i wean at around 6 months old... what weight can i expect out of the average calf?

i know different factors mean different averages but... what can i expect?

Low 5s to mid 6s. That's just an estimate/SWAG/extrapolation from the few calves we weaned over the years around 160-180 days

lmp570":2dyrwvtf said:
if i wean at around 6 months old... what weight can i expect out of the average calf?

i know different factors mean different averages but... what can i expect?

Figure about 2 to 2.5 lbs a day and a 70 lb BW. So, between 430 lbs and 520 lbs. Could be more or less. Depends on how your cow milked, BW and a host of other factors, but that would be a good ballpark.

I set goals for my Red Angus. 50% of moms weight at 6 months. My cows weigh between 1000-1100 pounds. I do not actually wean until 9-10 months. They're way past the 50% goal by then.

Bluestem":39yf2jgp said:
I set goals for my Red Angus. 50% of moms weight at 6 months. My cows weigh between 1000-1100 pounds. I do not actually wean until 9-10 months. They're way past the 50% goal by then.

None of my business but if you don't wean until 9-10 months, you're gonna wind up with some early bred heifers someday.

Just a thought.

We steer'm when they hit the ground. Use AI for the rest. But a little change in the operation (like keeping a bull calf) could have a large effect on the operation. Something I filed in the back of my head for future consideration. Thanks.

Bluestem":1g0nonh2 said:
We steer'm when they hit the ground. Use AI for the rest. But a little change in the operation (like keeping a bull calf) could have a large effect on the operation. Something I filed in the back of my head for future consideration. Thanks.

I'll gaurantee, having a bull around changes everything. After all the years of doing 100% AI we added a bull, he's gone now and we're back to all AI. I thought I had figured out all of the managment issues of having a bull around but soon learned that I had only seen the tip of the iceburg.

dun":2t1wsvff said:
Bluestem":2t1wsvff said:

I'll gaurantee, having a bull around changes everything. After all the years of doing 100% AI we added a bull, he's gone now and we're back to all AI. I thought I had figured out all of the managment issues of having a bull around but soon learned that I had only seen the tip of the iceburg.

Dun

What did you learn that an old fart like you didnt already know?

MD

dun":2yifwoc3 said:
Bluestem":2yifwoc3 said:

Try keeping 10, 20, even 40-50 bulls around.

They'll make you cuss your Grandma. :mad:

I have looked on numerous occassions for some reasearch on late weaning with little success. But I stll wean pretty close to 207 days since I think momma needs the rest. Anyone have any information on this. For instance, late weaing effect on life span, late cycleing, conception rates, etc..?

This could get beat to death. But here is a good link. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/AN048
I would suggest you do what works for your operation. Remain flexible. Some years you may have to wean early, other years you might wean later. I weigh during the customary weaning weight for reference.

Latest posts