What are you eating today?

Help Support CattleToday:

So far I have only done one review online about a restaurant, and it was not nice. About a month ago we took some family to a local place that used to have the best chicken fried steak in town. Well we all decided to have the shrimp, two had the senior meal, and the rest of us hand the full blown meal. Usually when you get the meal you get a salad, and some sort of side like corn or something, or you got the salad bar. We all said no to the salad bar when we were told it was $9 extra. We get our meal and it only came with french fries, all this for $18. In my review I said McDonalds would have been a step up. I will not be going back there anytime soon. We later found out that it had changed hands and the new owner was an arrogant sob.

Bertram's physical claim to fame appears to be their old water tower but it looks to have a larger than 56 sq ft footprint.
The Oatmeal fest is actually 'borrowed' from the little community of oatmeal just a few miles away. On a Friday night, the Oatmeal beauty pageant is held IN Oatmeal (pop=20) but the following Saturday, Bertram takes over with it's own version, supposedly with the approval of Oatmeal. (What young girl wouldn't aspire to be known as the 2023 Queen of Oatmeal?)
The Bertram travel guide I got says the Oatmeal water tower is painted to look like a big carton of Oatmeal. I would be inclined to call it a relatively medium sized water tank.

https://www.thebethlists.com/diverse-dining-list/category/0-texas

What young girl wouldn't aspire to be known as the 2023 Queen of Oatmeal?
I'm sure they don't get as many contestants as Iowa Pork Queen. Minnesota has Princess Kay of the Milky Way, county dairy princesses competing to be good-will ambassador for Minnesota dairy industry since 1953. I think it comes with $5000 scholarship.

Last edited:
I love black olives and mushrooms……and onions and garlic, chunks of mators and spicy sausage.
Oh, and a very thin crispy crust. None of that doughy "pan" stuff that takes up valuable space in my belly. The pie crust is just a helpful vehicle to get the good stuff past my lips.

Are you originally from Tennessee?

No, Originally from South Chicago. When I got out of the Army I lived in central Florida through 7 hurricanes. Played it safe and made the move about 10 years ago to the country...... Then experienced my first tornado.... can't win!

Everything was from scratch except the crust. Other than cheese there was peperoni, black olives, and mushrooms.

Being from Chicago, I worked a pizza place for a few years, it had my interest. Never smoked a pie. Would like to try some pulled pork with a light mustard sauce and provalone with red onion and thin sliced tomato. Hmmmm.
Made a pie years ago with beef, onion and mush and shrimp and gr pep with a bbq sauce. Was ok needed a better sauce.

For BEKFAST I had chicken fried steak, for lunch I had baked chicken, and for dinner I had more of last night's concoction. We been eatin' good here as of late. I'm gonna buy another pig and another lamb here soon for slaughter. So I'm already daydreaming about those meals to come.

Latest posts