What cow horse stud to breed to 7 AQHA rope mares.

Help Support CattleToday:

AR Lopez

Reaction score
The mares compete in the major rope horse futurities and I am going to embryo flush the mares and I was looking for something that would make top notch heel horses.

i breed preformance and ranch horses and i have a lot of running bred head horses and I needed something a bit more catty and shorter

i breed preformance and ranch horses and i have a lot of running bred head horses and I needed something a bit more catty and shorter
Around here 20 years ago or so there were some guys bringing in cutting bred horses that didn't make it in the cutting pen to make heel horses. I haven't paid much attention to horse breeding for a long time, but to stay sound in the roping pen they need to have a decent foot size and bone structure and be able to push their hip into the stop.

Around here 20 years ago or so there were some guys bringing in cutting bred horses that didn't make it in the cutting pen to make heel horses. I haven't paid much attention to horse breeding for a long time, but to stay sound in the roping pen they need to have a decent foot size and bone structure and be able to push their hip into the stop.
they still do that however with roping futurities being big now people are breeding horses just to rope on because the stallions are in these big name incentives.

These folks live near Cheyenne and are heavily into the performance horse business. They would have some ideas. https://www.rodeoranchwyo.com/
I have bred to 2 of their stallions last year with one already on the ground and one still in utero for 2 more months. Heza Fiery Fling has already sent semen to us and we have frozen some and impregnated 2 mares and after we flushed for embryos we have 3 embryos to put in recip mares. I have roped on the other side of this stud as well when he was taken to a jackpot. He is just a bit to tall for most of my mares to be a heel horse.

:unsure: a bit more catty and shorter. So you're needing something that can get the person doing the heeling,
in closer to those heels ? Have you given any thought to crossing those mares with a racing pony ?

Bet Hesa Cat something like him.
Stallions are just like high dollar bulls or worse. What's hot right now won't be in a couple years.
I haven't followed stallion lines for a several years. I don't know what's hot right now.

Bet Hesa Cat something like him.
Stallions are just like high dollar bulls or worse. What's hot right now won't be in a couple years.
I haven't followed stallion lines for a several years. I don't know what's hot right now.
I have a 6666 ranch mares and a couple others, so bet hesa cat would work for some mares but I need some fresh blood.

Woody B Tuff will give you a very athletic fast strong foal, some may be a bit big for a heel horse but they are trainable enough to do what you want, Call me Mitch is another stallion that has won a ton of money and is proving himself a great ire right now and is sure athletic and sound enough. Both of these should have more than enough run and be good-minded enough for you to win on and also give you a foal that is saleable to a multitude of trades. Cat's Merada would also work

Woody B Tuff will give you a very athletic fast strong foal, some may be a bit big for a heel horse but they are trainable enough to do what you want, Call me Mitch is another stallion that has won a ton of money and is proving himself a great ire right now and is sure athletic and sound enough. Both of these should have more than enough run and be good-minded enough for you to win on and also give you a foal that is saleable to a multitude of trades. Cat's Merada would also work
My head and tripping horse is sired by woody be tuff out of a metallic cat daughter. I like him a lot so I am breeding WBT to 18 mares and I get a discounted fee as well. cmm won the worlds greatest horseman 2 years ago and right after that I bred to him, at the moment I have 3 colts and 1 fily left I sold the others before they were even born.

The mares compete in the major rope horse futurities and I am going to embryo flush the mares and I was looking for something that would make top notch heel horses
Rope horses are made, not bred. They don't need the "cow" instincts that a cutting horse does. Anything but maybe a stilt-legged halter horse or 16.2 hd pleasure horse, can be made into a heel horse. Just needs athletic ability and above all, the right mind. The old school cutting horses were noted for their brains as much as their "cow sense"...the Peppy's, Doc Bars, Poco Buenos, Gunsmokes, Jessie James's, etc.

But, if you are planning on competing in ARHFA , Then best thing to do would be use a stallion enrolled in their Incentive Fund. Lil Joe Cash seems to have sired the most winners across the board in each category in 2023.

Rope horses are made, not bred. They don't need the "cow" instincts that a cutting horse does. Anything but maybe a stilt-legged halter horse or 16.2 hd pleasure horse, can be made into a heel horse. Just needs athletic ability and above all, the right mind. The old school cutting horses were noted for their brains as much as their "cow sense"...the Peppy's, Doc Bars, Poco Buenos, Gunsmokes, Jessie James's, etc.

But, if you are planning on competing in ARHFA , Then best thing to do would be use a stallion enrolled in their Incentive Fund. Lil Joe Cash seems to have sired the most winners across the board in each category in 2023.
I am also looking at The darkk side and pride and joy from the relentless remuda. I have calf roped on a lil joe cash and sold another one to Joseph harrison.

My head and tripping horse is sired by woody be tuff out of a metallic cat daughter. I like him a lot so I am breeding WBT to 18 mares and I get a discounted fee as well. cmm won the worlds greatest horseman 2 years ago and right after that I bred to him, at the moment I have 3 colts and 1 fily left I sold the others before they were even born.
I have a Woody mare out of a daughter of Cat that has won quite a bit in cowhorse, she had a Stevie rey baby last year that is outstanding and she's carrying a call me mitch that's due any day

A lot of Little Joe babies that didn't make reiners were turned into rope horses

I have a nice stout 10 mo old colt out of Smokin Custom Crome and my (Mr Peppys Freckles x Mecom Blue) mare.
Also have a coming 2 yr old gelding out of Gunners Special Nite. Both are dbl registered AQHA and APHA.
Hoping for a filly with In Like Flinn this go around. 🤞🏻
What about a Driftwood line? I sold my 2 yr old Driftwood filly to a heeler in Illinois. Last I heard he was extremely happy with her.

I think all horses that excel are made, regardless of breeding but I also believe breeding makes one easier to make and marketability means a lot that's why most of the rope horse futurity horses are bred like the cutter, cow horse and reiner futurity horses. It's ability that separates them and directs which way they go but its breeding that got the horse to the point where someone would buy that horse, spend that much on training and fees to give you the hope he can win

I think all horses that excel are made, regardless of breeding but I also believe breeding makes one easier to make and marketability means a lot that's why most of the rope horse futurity horses are bred like the cutter, cow horse and reiner futurity horses. It's ability that separates them and directs which way they go but its breeding that got the horse to the point where someone would buy that horse, spend that much on training and fees to give you the hope he can win
Well, yeah, you have to train a horse to compete in any discipline, but I meant there is no such thing as a horse being born with "roping sense", like there are with cow sense that cutting horses have. Those cutting type horses that don't have it, are why Reining and Working cow horse was created. Those are two things the horses are taught, and the rider controls, where as cutting is the horse itself. Does that make sense?: Basically we have racing bred or type QHs, pleasure type QHs, halter types, and performance types...the ones that make good cow horses. Cutting-bred horses do tend to make the best reiners, working cow horses, ropers, penners, sorters, etc. It is because of their build, and their minds. I was just saying there isn't a stallion that sires horses with a built-in roping sense. There are stallions, however, that sire horses that have the build that gives it the agility and speed, and that tend to have the disposition to make good ropers.

Latest posts