What is wrong with my bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

oscar

Reaction score
A week ago we found one of our bulls had taken himself off away from his group of cows and calves. He was lying down depressed and slightly dehydrated. He has not lost his appetite and is now drinking well. He has lost condition though. We dosed him with penicillin and he has improved over the last couple of days but still has not re-joined his group. He has one runny eye and a runny nose today but his appetite is good and he is getting extra rations. What could be wrong with him? We are worried it is IBR. Any help and advice would be gratefully received.

oscar":1f7r5f6f said:
A week ago we found one of our bulls had taken himself off away from his group of cows and calves. He was lying down depressed and slightly dehydrated. He has not lost his appetite and is now drinking well. He has lost condition though. We dosed him with penicillin and he has improved over the last couple of days but still has not re-joined his group. He has one runny eye and a runny nose today but his appetite is good and he is getting extra rations. What could be wrong with him? We are worried it is IBR. Any help and advice would be gratefully received.

What does your vet say?

TennesseeTuxedo":48a4it1s said:
What does your vet say?

That would be my suggestion. If you are concerned about IBR, perhaps involving your vet would get you a more definitive diagnosis.

Runny nose, slightly "off", describes alot of possibilities. Have you taken his temperature? Is/was he running a fever? Was the Pennicillin necessary?

I'm not trying to be "mean" or difficult. We cannot give you an accurate diagnosis with vague symptoms that describe at least 7 different possible ailments.

oscar":2yp7ayx3 said:

What is your location and what weather have you been having as that could help us narrow in on his condition
Did you take his temp ?
Any other bulls in with him, age of him ect.

As well as all that has been previously asked .

With the price of bull replacements your best bet is to contact your LA vet and get him/her out . At the very least if you do not talk to a vet you should hit him with a real med not just an OTC and you will need to get that from a vet anyways .

Thank you all. Difficult to take the temperature of a bull in a field. We have been acting on the advice of a vet so far. Was hoping to get help from experienced large-scale cattle people as well.

Most constructive response. The weather took a sharp, probably 10 degree downturn recently for a 24 hour period. It has now become muggy, warm and wet. We are based in North Cornwall, UK - England. I would be interested to hear any tips on how one would take the temperature of a bull loose in a field - we are not dairy farmers. Regards

could be pneumonia with the temp change then hot & muggy, how'd you give the pen, with gun? would think the pen should help if he has enough of it. did he get stressed fighting another bull or something. have seen a bull get pneumonia with that weather for no reason

oscar":3tzwr7i5 said:
Most constructive response. The weather took a sharp, probably 10 degree downturn recently for a 24 hour period. It has now become muggy, warm and wet. We are based in North Cornwall, UK - England. I would be interested to hear any tips on how one would take the temperature of a bull loose in a field - we are not dairy farmers. Regards

As far as taking the temp of the bull if he is sick I think I would get that bull up in the corral and take his temp then either talk with my vet or have him come and take a look at him. Do u not have any way to get the bull in a corral?

Thank you all for your response. We had a vet to him today who managed to take some blood and an eye swab while he was loose in the field - we tried to load him but he wasn't having it and to get him to our handling system would involve a long stressful walk for him. He wasn't with another bull so no fighting. He was with cows and calves but took himself away from them when he was feeling unwell. Vet is testing for IBR which will take 3 weeks since it involves initial sample and a follow up. I will let you know the result.

Portable panels and a portable squeeze or medina gate. Or wait until he's almost dead to get a temp and samples. If he's well enough to "fight" you he's well enough to get him into some facilities of some sort. Just my opinion

I was gonna say IBR, had a Hereford bull do the same thing. Ran off for 2 days, found him weak and dehydrated. His eyes were raw and nose was red. I gave him draxxin and kept him the barn where the sun light wouldn't hurt his eyes. Took almost 3wks to get him in better shape.

Latest posts