What should I charge?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Local guy wants me to haul 100 rolls of hay to his farm, each haul would be 70 mile round trip? I know I need to factor in fuel, my time/labor, wear/tear on my equipment. What am I leaving out? I want to be fair but also make a profit where it's worth it and he knows this.

The biggest, most significant thing left out of the cost of hay when figuring out what to charge is the quantity of nutrients within the hay itself. Quite often around here (Ohio) the value of the nutrients alone within the bale itself when figured based on the cost of fertilizer exceeds the cost of what the bale itself is being sold for in feed value. In other words, and these aren't accurate values but used for illustration purposes, say it costs $45.00 in fertilizer to produce a bale of hay (this is the value that hardly anyone takes time to calculate), and then the hay producer sells that bale to the cattle producer for $35.00, the bale producer didn't make a dime. Instead, it literally cost the bale producer $10.00 for that bale of hay, and that doesn't even factor in time for harvest, harvest fueling costs, wear and tear on haying equipment and delivery/travel distance costs. I'm glad you asked the question. Too many hay producers sell hay around here and don't realize that they are literally giving away the farm.

To get at a 'fertilizer value' for your hay, go to your extension agent and ask him to help you calculate it. It's not hard to do, but there are several figures you will need, and rough estimates are NOT what you want to use. Weigh several bales and get an average weight. Don't guess. Hay producers are typically lousy at guessing the weight of their bales, and don't measure the weight by the dimensions of the bale either. Density of hay bales can vary by as much as 2.5x from one producer to the next, equipment type, and separate cuttings. Ideally, get a hay analysis to find out the nutrient content of the hay. This is the ONE factor that if you don't have an exact measurement, you can use the values the agent has, although values having a difference of 15% or possibly a bit more would not surprise me. (15% is close compared to how far your other values could be off if you choose to use estimates.) You will also need the current value of fertilizer by component. From these values, you can calculate the value of the fertilizer that has gone into producing the hay being sold.

Be careful and just make sure you aren't inadvertently giving away the farm in the process of trying to make a profit off the hay sales.

Forgot to mention each round trip is around 3 hrs. Counting loading, driving and unloading. So I'm thinking fuel would be about $40. If I charged $200 a trip that'd leave me $160 for my time/labor and wear/tear on equipment. So about $53 an hr. I'm think I should be making more but I'm new at this so I'm just jot sure.

Let me clarify, this is not my hay I'm selling I'm just going and getting it and delivering it to him. I'm just the Hauler.

Are you legal to haul for other people?

Hauling your own hay for yourself you can fly under the farmer exemption.

Hauling purchased hay for someone else is freight as far as thr DOT is concerned around here. So make sure your ducks are in a road.

Forgot to mention each round trip is around 3 hrs. Counting loading, driving and unloading. So I'm thinking fuel would be about $40. If I charged $200 a trip that'd leave me $160 for my time/labor and wear/tear on equipment. So about $53 an hr. I'm think I should be making more but I'm new at this so I'm just jot sure.
that's gonna be some expensive hay....

Are you legal to haul for other people?

Hauling your own hay for yourself you can fly under the farmer exemption.

Hauling purchased hay for someone else is freight as far as thr DOT is concerned around here. So make sure your ducks are in a road.
Row.

Not trying to be an azz.

Do you like them and do you have better things to do?

Latest posts