Which Breed are These Cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

That's really interesting. I spoke to the previous owner. He said the roan-faced one is longhorn/black angus. The cow/calf pair is 3/4 black angus and 1/4 longhorn. I'm okay with that, but I was thinking I had found a Randall in the mix.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Gotta say I'm skeptical...

Is longhorn dominant over homozygous black?

That's really interesting. I spoke to the previous owner. He said the roan-faced one is longhorn/black angus. The cow/calf pair is 3/4 black angus and 1/4 longhorn. I'm okay with that, but I was thinking I had found a Randall in the mix.

The only randall you'll find around our part of the country,is bellied up to a bar somewhere..

I wouldn't kick her out of the pasture for eating oats, that's for sure. She'll probably make a fair mama cow, what are you going to breed her back to?

I did not. No offense, just had other stuff to do.

Edit: Read them, doesn't change my basic assertion. It's not a 350 year lead but it's a lead. It's not a mark against us Texans, you could fit multiple Floridas into this state. There's also locality to market, their native population taking up ranching, hostile natives being subdued sooner in the upper pine belt, etc.
350 or more is pretty accurate. The first cattle in Ga and Fla were brought in and turned out in the first decade of the 1500's/

NewMoo> Thank you for the report. I was on record as them being Corriente crossed with Red Angus .
While incorrect in my choice any Angus with a recessive gene (Red or Black) could give those color combinations.
For the record I have a spotted 1/2 blood Corriente/ Red Angus cross that has had solid red, solid black, red & white spotted
and black and white spotted calves. Her mother was white with black specs Corriente and her grandmother was a breed
certified black with brown around mouth Corriente. Enjoy your box of chocolates! Thanks Again LVR

I have a longhorn cow that is mostly white. Dark points. Her momma was mostly white with a little reddish around the head. She has real nice set of matched horns... 1st breeding, black bull calf, no horns. 2nd calf white heifer, few speckled spots, black points, no horns. 3rd calf, twin black heifers, one died , the one on her is a little "loose skinned" underneath.. no horns...
SAME ANGUS SIRE of all 3 calves.... GO FIGURE....

Being in this area..you don't see real cracker cattle ..but you will see plenty of longhorn thrown out in the pastures from the roping arenas..course if infact they were cracker, they would be taken for longhorn, from the average guy..don't know if she was a roper cause they got to those horns fairy early..she likely has roping stock in her pedigree..
Crackers don't have long horns and they are basically interchangeable with pineywood. I'm in Central Georgia and there are several registered herds within an hour of me.
There are several herds in georgia, florida, alabama and mississippi that i know of and most likely more that i don't.
Two years ago a herd of close to 300 was dispersed. The bigger groups that were bought have been further dispersed since.
They're smaller than long horns but crosses probably wouldn't be.

I have a longhorn cow that is mostly white. Dark points. Her momma was mostly white with a little reddish around the head. She has real nice set of matched horns... 1st breeding, black bull calf, no horns. 2nd calf white heifer, few speckled spots, black points, no horns. 3rd calf, twin black heifers, one died , the one on her is a little "loose skinned" underneath.. no horns...
SAME ANGUS SIRE of all 3 calves.... GO FIGURE....
I had a longhorn that had a heifer calf marked just like a british white. That's what got me interested in british whites.

Crackers don't have long horns and they are basically interchangeable with pineywood. I'm in Central Georgia and there are several registered herds within an hour of me.
There are several herds in georgia, florida, alabama and mississippi that i know of and most likely more that i don't.
Two years ago a herd of close to 300 was dispersed. The bigger groups that were bought have been further dispersed since.
By DNA crackers and pineywoods would be a duke's mixture and the historic herds had guineas, in their term, which were dwarfs.

Gotta say I'm skeptical...

Is longhorn dominant over homozygous black?

That chrome is pretty strong. I had a calf born last week. I've owned his maternal ancestors since the last century, so I know his breeding. He's marked up like a full blood Longhorn, but is only 1/16. There is Brahman, Brangus or Angus, and probably Hereford in his background.

Yes..but you won't see many here in north Alabama ..if you do they're hiding behind a herd of Angus..

SAME ANGUS SIRE of all 3 calves.... GO FIGURE..

U of T did some extensive research on the LH genome.
You can google it, if I remember correctly like 80% carried the African horn gene.

U of T did some extensive research on the LH genome.
You can google it, if I remember correctly like 80% carried the African horn gene.
I'm not questioning the horn thing... I sorta would have liked a calf with horns just to have another pasture ornament... it was more that it was the diversity of color...from the same bull... and that this particular angus bull knocked the horns off the calves. This year she is (hopefully) bred back but to a different bull. Moved him and the group of 1st calf heifers to another pasture so I am hoping he caught her before he left. Haven't seen a heat since... Too big a problem to move her because she does get a little feisty with the horns in close confinement...so has to be separate in the trailer... just a pain, so she stays there at this one place and gets bred to the easy calving bull that is there at the time. We have 2 and this year rotated the 2nd one there as we were using the other one at another place.

Oh, they can be pretty long, but Fla Cracker, Fla Scrub, and Piney Woods' horns grow straight up and not very wide. A product of natural selection, due to the terrain in the southeast. A Longhorn with an 8 to 10' horn span would have a hard time running from predators in the pine thickets and swamps these cattle flourished in. So these cattle tend to have horns not much wider than their bodies, but with a 3' or more rise.

Latest posts