Who started from nothing?

Help Support CattleToday:

So 600 and some animals, plus bulls, on 400 acres? No feed being bought in?

Colour me impressed.. Or skeptical. Not sure which yet.

With good rainfall I could run 1 pair to the acre. Key factor is here you gotta buy lime and fertilizer to do it. With no lime or fertilizer you need 2-4 acres per pair. If we get a lot of rain, I could run 1 pair to 1 acre with no lime or fertilizer. But I mean a lot of rain. Rotating pastures is crucial here. I do it at least weekly.

I can grow good grass too, we get consistent rain, and I fert and lime and manure here as well.. But no way I'm getting 600+ animals to survive off 400 acres - Wish I could! I wouldn't be running all over the country side for pasture and hay.

It stuck out as interesting is all.

Dexta I've just about come to the conclusion that I can rent more land cheaper than I can buy fertilizer. The only drawback is that means I have to maintain more fences and have catch pens at each location. I'm always testing new waters though trying to figure out what works best, and it seems that too changes almost every year.

I/We didn't start from totally nothing. My hubby and I were married 10 years ago; his approx. 20 acres had sat for about 10 years with NOTHING done to it as far as irrigation, fence repair, etc. Wasn't important to him as he was batching it, retired, and free to travel/roam/not mess with the ground. A couple of nice 60 X 100+ pole barns w/ siding were in pretty good shape. Sort of a long story, but after driving to OR to my sister's place to pick up butchered beef . . . I thought, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" So we bought a couple steers from the sis; raised/sold them; bought a couple steers, bought a couple bred cows, and kept going -- repairing fences and putting in the cattle handling facilities as $$ came available. I put in my own $$ from selling an Idaho property. Last year, we hugely upgraded our irrigation system. So, we don't make a living with the cattle; right now we probably don't even break even, but we have a pretty good market now for 4-5 custom cut butcher steers every year, adding to the seed stock w/ heifers, and selling a burger cow here and there. 20 head plus baby calves are about the limit. And we like the cattle.

JMJ Farms":2u89dfv2 said:
Dexta I've just about come to the conclusion that I can rent more land cheaper than I can buy fertilizer.

Guys tried that for years around here. It doesn't last. You end up running so much worn out ground you would be better off with less than half the land and it looked after (and have more cows on it)

So now I try and do it right. I've got better things to do then mow hundreds of acres of weedy hay, or have cows spread out all over at less than half of what the stocking density should be.

I'm talking about grazing only. I keep my hayfields in tip top shape. I see what you're saying but I don't take it to that extreme. What I mean is to double the carrying capacity here costs about $75-100 bucks an acre in fertilizer. Or I can rent more pasture and fertilize lightly for a total of $50/ac. It does spread my cows out more but they are still within 5 miles. I do some of both. And one more benefit is believe it or not the annual rainfall varies from farm to farm and year to year.

JMJ Farms":1d2qnih0 said:
I'm talking about grazing only. I keep my hayfields in tip top shape. I see what you're saying but I don't take it to that extreme. What I mean is to double the carrying capacity here costs about $75-100 bucks an acre in fertilizer. Or I can rent more pasture and fertilize lightly for a total of $50/ac. It does spread my cows out more but they are still within 5 miles. I do some of both. And one more benefit is believe it or not the annual rainfall varies from farm to farm and year to year.

I agree. It's that "eggs in one basket" deal

This topic and the one about the seller wanting more money sound like good titles for country music tunes. Already have, "When we were down to nothing" old song. Not quite a farming topic!

Supa Dexta":7z19ei50 said:
Quickdraw Farm":7z19ei50 said:
I now own 200 acres and rent an additional 200 acres. I own 312 mama cows.

How are you making this work feed wise?
The stocking rate here, on Bahia grass, April - October, is 1.5 - 2 units per acre. I rent part of my acreage to a peanut farmer in exchange for $150 per acre. I use this $150 per acre to purchase hay at $30 per roll. Plus I roll 700 or so bales of Coastal Bermuda hay each Summer. I typically get 4 cuttings per year from my hay fields. Every time I cut the hay I send a soil sample to Auburn and fertilize accordingly. I do custom bale some hay on halves. It takes around 1,200 rolls of hay to get me through the winter. During the Summer my cattle graze Bahia and that holds them up really well. I overseed rye grass and clover in the Fall and supplement with hay and protein tubs in the Winter. I do buy feed but only for the feeder stock I wean and feed for 60 or days before going to market.
I fertilize with 2 tons per acre of broiler litter every other year and commercial fertilizer, in accordance with the soil analysis, every other year. I apply lime strictly by the soil sample. I normally spray herbicide 2 times per year. Once in April, 2-4-D, and once in July, GrazonNext HL. I do not tolerate weeds. Cogan Grass and Centipede are typically my greatest challenge. It's a struggle at times to keep it all clean, but I do my best.

I grew up on a farm 3 miles from where I live now. Left when I graduated High school. Worked the oil field for a couple of years and then into the Air Force. I retired from the AF in 2007 and moved back home. Bought land that had nothing on it. Built a home and out buildings. Bought 26 cows of a few different colors. The herd has more than doubled and is now 95% black. We bought tractors and hay equipment. No help or anything given to me. My wife and I have good jobs and my retirement have allowed us to put it together. I don't know how anyone can get started without outside income. My dad and I do put calves together on sale days.

Latest posts