Why don't they just come out and say filly for sale?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
What's with all this "adopt out" and adoption fee stuff? Why not just come right out and say you're selling the filly and your asking price is $750?
https://beaumont.craigslist.org/grd/5036530338.html

We are looking to adopt this Half BLM bay roan Mustang Baby out when she is of age to be weaned. Sassy is just a month and a couple weeks old. ...(edited for brevity's sake) ... Deposit is $300 to hold till weaning. Her adoption fee is $750 and deposit goes towards adoption fee.

I'm sure they think the word "adopt" will get someone's motherly instincts going, sounds too heartless to SELL the filly apparently. :roll:

Or it breaks their heart to sale the baby so they have some stipulations that go along with it and thinks adoption gives them some sort of control over the buyer.

PR. Those are horses coming off of federal land. Can you imagine the outrage had they been "sold"? Being adopted out, the only concern- just what color of the rainbow do you want yours to toot?

Commercialfarmer":2q29r28u said:
PR. Those are horses coming off of federal land. Can you imagine the outrage had they been "sold"? Being adopted out, the only concern- just what color of the rainbow do you want yours to toot?

Isn't that whole program called the Adopt a Mustang Program? I thought once they "adopted" one they had to keep it for life or at least several years.

They said the mare came off the Mustang herd--the filly was born after the mare was "adopted"--making it an offspring of the "adopted" mare. You would be buying a domesticated colt.

Commercialfarmer":2xm3ugye said:

Same with burros. You can't legally sell them can you? But adoption .... now that's different. About the same as buying a president. That's illegal but you can pay him $5 million to speak at your insurance meeting and that's perfectly legal.

LazyARanch":bnludhix said:
I'm sure they think the word "adopt" will get someone's motherly instincts going, sounds too heartless to SELL the filly apparently. :roll:
Exactly. I have a big problem with most of these "rescue" groups and their tactics. Their pretentious ideals and propaganda would make any Nazi information minister proud. Of course they have a ready market with today's kitten kissers and horse huggers. I like using terms like buy and sell instead of their adopt and rescue jargon. It drives them nuts.

Also, how dare they equate the procurement of a child with that of an animal. Children are adopted, animals are bought, sold or gifted.

My daughter has a BLM mustang. I have the certificate of title and can sell it if I want to.

A wild horse or burro belongs to the Federal Government until the BLM issues a certificate of title to you. After one year, the BLM will send you a Title Eligibility Letter. You must obtain a signed statement from a qualified person (such as a veterinarian, county extension agent, or humane official) verifying that you have provided humane care and treatment for your adopted animal. Once you sign and return the Title Eligibility Letter, the BLM will mail the certificate of title to you. After you receive the Certificate of Title, the animal becomes your private property.

Note: There are no additional federal fees involved in the titling process. Some states do have a minimal fee for transfer of ownership.

Deepsouth":198kegcs said:
Commercialfarmer":198kegcs said:

Isn't that whole program called the Adopt a Mustang Program? I thought once they "adopted" one they had to keep it for life or at least several years.

I thought about one about 10 years back. My wife back then wanted a horse, and I thought they'd be the least likely to have health issues- survival of the fittest and all. What Chippie said is about what I remember. The more I thought about, I figured their temperament hadn't been culled either.

I use to Live in Fallon, Nevada and spent many days at the Gallagher Livestock Auction. Gallagher is no longer in business but there is another Auction Yard on the Fernley Hwy. I sold my Fallon Ranch in 1981 and returned to the homeplace in Douglas County, Nev.
I've been to several Mustang catch pens in Nevada and would always wonder what the Gov. wanted to do with all these inbred horses besides feeding them, they just did not have the Quality of a Quarter Horse.
I am happy to know that a Mustang found a good home and was so successful. My Hat's off to you.

Latest posts