Will Y'all Help Me Find A Truck To Buy?

Help Support CattleToday:

Quickdraw Farm

Reaction score
I am looking for a Chevrolet 2500 or 3500 regular cab or extended cab, diesel, automatic, 4WD, power windows, with a bale bed. Preferably a Deweze or like bale bed that I can put two rolls of hay on. Under 200,000 miles under $25,000. I've searched autotrader, craigslist, cargurus, and ranchworld, there's only one truck (it's in Arkansas) that comes close to meeting what I want, but it has manual windows. I was thinking there may be one in your area for sale by owner or a dealer. I am in South Alabama but geographics doesn't really matter because I can go get it or pay for it to be delivered if I find one. I had one but, like an idiot, I sold it a few months ago. I wish to goodness I had kept it. In reference to feeding hay, it was like having a cab tractor that would go 60 miles per hour. I have to have another one now. Thank you in advance for your help. Come on Kentucky, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas guys, you know there's lots of them in your areas. My email address is [email protected]. Thanks again for your help!

What's wrong with windup windows? I'd have them any day over electric, you always have to turn the key on to let them down or up, drives me up the wall.
Ken

I do like power windows for the fact I can open and close the passenger side easily,... for the drivers side I really wouldn't care too much.

Good luck with the hunt.. If that truck met all your other requirements I think I'd deal with manual windows.

I have bought two trucks from Midwest Diesel Trucks in Decatur, Illinois. You can google them, their prices are always cheaper than where I live so its worth the drive.

Would it be easier to buy a chassis, then find a new/used bale bed? You said you're willing to spend for travel etc.. may be a bit higher than one already assembled but at least you're getting what you want!

If power windows is the only hold up, you can buy an aftermarket power window kit for about $300 that is pretty easy to install, exact bolt pattern as factory, and every bit as good as factory.

Thank all of you for your help. To be honest I never thought about an after market power window kit. I have two Chevrolet trucks that I've had for several years, one has manual, the other power windows. I prefer the power, that's all. It seems to me like GM put the crank too dang low on the door. Anyway, at this point I'm probably going to buy the one with the manual windows and just get used to it or install the after market power kit. Again, thanks to all of you for your help. I really appreciate it. One thing is for sure - trucks like this ARE hard to find.
Thanks again!!

Oh, and by the way, for you to search the craigslist in your area for me is awesome. Thank you for doing that!

Thank all of you for your replies and your help.

I was able to find and purchase a bale bed truck and now I don't know how I ever made it without one. I have cattle in three different places and when I leave my house, go to each pasture, and back home it's a 40 mile trip. While it is not within the manufacturer's operating specs of the bale bed, I carry three, that's right THREE, 5X5 bales on my truck. I unroll the hay, all of the cows can eat at once, very little waste. What a most handy piece of equipment! Before the bale bed I was pushing rolls off of a trailer by hand. About half of the rolls I could not push off of the trailer, I had to put a cable around the bale and secure the other end of the cable to a tree and pull the truck forward to force the bale off of the trailer. Plus, I had to put out more bales in order for all of the cows to be able to get to the bale to eat. Also, I have an ATV mounted calf catcher. I have lots of cows calving right now. I had 9 calves born last night. So this afternoon I used the bale arms to first load the calf catcher onto the truck, then to load the ATV right behind it, then squeezed the bale arms inward, then forward, pushing the arms up against the ATV to secure it (and the calf catcher) on the truck, and off I went to the pasture to catch, vaccinate, ear tag, and band the new calves.
I am very thankful for the high feeder calf prices of 2014 and early '15. Those prices enabled me to now have two things I've never had before; a cab tractor and a bale bed truck. While neither is necessary, and both would be considered much above the bare minimum, gosh they sure have made my life easier. BTW, the bale bed I have is actually considered an economy model. It's the J&I with hydraulic arms mounted on a Chevrolet 2500HD 4X4 Duramax extended cab with overload springs. It's definitely loaded with three bales on but it doesn't seem to be straining anything at all.
Thanks for reading and thanks again for the replies.

Have most of you had good luck with the older chevy duramax diesels and allison Transmissions? I know where a 2001 is with 170,000 miles on it. Drives as runs good and it has 4x4. Under $15,000.

quartermeter":3hk1g0n2 said:
Have most of you had good luck with the older chevy duramax diesels and allison Transmissions? I know where a 2001 is with 170,000 miles on it. Drives as runs good and it has 4x4. Under $15,000.

We have gone through a couple of early to mid 2000s Duramax trucks. The allison was a dream, especially pulling a full trailer across the country. We did however, learn that the injectors on those years are pretty much shyt. One truck went thru 3 sets in just 2 years, often while we we on our way to a show, far from home (like Denver!!). These trucks were used to haul full trailers back and forth all across the US, but were well cared for and never beaten on. It seemed like by the time you got the truck broke in, the injectors were done for. We have since switched over to 3/4 ton GMCs with the 6.0 Vortec, heavy duty suspension. We have some with high-speeed rear-ends, and some that don't (towing package). They are proving to be awesome trucks for us, with no worries so far. The one is a 2014 with close to 60k miles on it, so they get used daily. We run them to work, to get groceries, pulling the hay tailer, pulling 20 and 28 foot stock trailers, you name it!

I have heard that certain years are just bad on the injectors for the Duramax and some not so much, so it is worth the time to do your research. :2cents:

Latest posts