Winter pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
Hi all,
A few others (on a recent thread I now can't find) mentioned dealing with pinkeye this winter. We have a few cases just popped up and the vet had us culture it and send it away yesterday. I guess they will try to make a vaccine based on the strain that it is (?). Vet says they're seeing it more and more in winter and that it's a different strain that LA won't touch.

While we wait for the culture I'm worried about it spreading. Is this winter version extremely contagious? Goes without saying that we have no flies now (wind chills below zero lately). Very weird!
Anybody have success treating winter pinkeye with antibiotics? Would love to know with what. It's unusual here so we're flying blind (hopefully cows won't be!)
Thanks!

first I've heard of it in our area or any other up north. I'll look a little closer , thanks for the heads up. ;-)

boondocks":1256ubge said:
Hi all,
A few others (on a recent thread I now can't find) mentioned dealing with pinkeye this winter. We have a few cases just popped up and the vet had us culture it and send it away yesterday. I guess they will try to make a vaccine based on the strain that it is (?). Vet says they're seeing it more and more in winter and that it's a different strain that LA won't touch.

While we wait for the culture I'm worried about it spreading. Is this winter version extremely contagious? Goes without saying that we have no flies now (wind chills below zero lately). Very weird!
Anybody have success treating winter pinkeye with antibiotics? Would love to know with what. It's unusual here so we're flying blind (hopefully cows won't be!)
Thanks!

boondocks,

This might be the thread you did not find:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=96290

I have treated about 5 cases of winter pinkeye with LA 300. In the course of the summer, I treated about 5 cases. All estimated 10 cases were treated successfully and I have no permanent eye damage. The first case I had, I called my vet. I had given LA 300 and he did not administer any additional antibiotic. He did use penicillin to make a reservoir under the top eyelid. But he advised me to do my own treatment with LA 300. He swabbed the eye and it came back as Moraxella bovis and M. bovoculi. However, their are different strains of those two pathogens so you need a vaccine that addresses your specific strain. In our area, Dr Stansfield maintains an up-dated vaccine that I am now using.

You might consider Draxxin. Also, I have not had a case return to a cow previously treated.

The custom vaccine I have is as follows:

Autogenous Bacterin
Isolates: Moraxella bovis and Moraxella bovoculi
Newport Laboratories
Washington, MN
Manufactured for Tri County Vet Service
Tollesboro, KY
Dr Darin Stansfield

I have not had any yet this year but VA Tech recommends 1cc of Dexamethazone and 2cc Pennicillin(yes my spelling is terrible) injected into the white part of the eyeball. Put it in at an angle. I need to look but there might be a you-tube showing how to do it. `

kenny thomas":11lzhzsw said:
I have not had any yet this year but VA Tech recommends 1cc of Dexamethazone and 2cc Pennicillin(yes my spelling is terrible) injected into the white part of the eyeball. Put it in at an angle. I need to look but there might be a you-tube showing how to do it. `

I have always put the penn in the upper eye lid. And LA200/300 Don't use LA for much of anything other than pink eye.

Latest posts