Worlds best beef.

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks MOM! I'm gonna try some Wagyu semen from you folks this year about Jan. on some Chars. I am hoping the char blood will put a little more growth and less backfat.

Thanks for the info.

Mom at the Ranch":17s61xf4 said:
Well - - -this should incite some comment! I wonder what the Ultrasound EPD's would be for %IMF, REA, and %RP??

Doc Harris,
I know this is not exactly what you were refering to, but interesting information anyway.

This is information that came from MARC in Clay Center.

Semen from 19 Wagyu bulls, which included 4 fullbloods imported in 1970's, born in 1973-1974, 11 fullbloods imported in the 1990's born in 1989-1990 and 4 purebreds > 15/16, born in 1985 to 1990, were used. Hereford x Angus crosses was used as the control group.

Results
Hereford X Angus Wagyu
Gestation Length 283.2 286.9
Calf Delivery 1.19 1.04
Unaided 96.7 99.3
Birth Weight 89.4 80.3
Calf Survival 91.4 95
200d Wt. 507.3 458.6
Note the ease of calf delivery and low birth weight with increased survivability.

Performance
Hereford X Angus Wagyu
Average Daily Gain 3.12 2.69
Live Weight 1349 1196
Hot Carcass Weight 828 736
Dressing Percentage 61.4 61.5
Marbling 542 562
Choice 73 85
Yield Grade 3.3 2.7
Fat Thickness 0.49 0.36
Rib Eye Area 12.69 12.55
Note the increase in marbling and the large increase in choice carcasses.

Product
Hereford X Angus Wagyu
Lbs. Meat 504 460
Lbs. Fat 214 174
Lbs. Bone 117.9 106.1

Meat Quality
Hereford X Angus Wagyu
Lbs. Shear 8.13 7.82
Tenderness Score 6.36 6.60
Flavor Score 4.71 4.76
Juiciness Score 5.29 5.39
Note the increase in tenderness and decrease in shear force.
Strikingly consistant differences. (SEE CORRECTION BELOW) Very interesting! I think that it just goes to show that there is not just "One Way" and that is the ONLY WAY! The old saying that "The only thing that is CONSTANT is CHANGE" is proof that in order to be successful in ANYTHING one must think, and plan, and work, and be open to new ideas and different possibilities. But ALL aspects of planning and management must be taken into consideration. When my sons were growing up they got so sick of my repeating "Plan Your Work and Work Your Plan" they could have throttled me, but it worked it's way into their brain in a pattern and they are all very successful in their chosen fields, so I feel justified in the repetition of it. "Mom at the ranch" just pointed out to me that I must have my head where it didn't belong - instead of 'strikingly consistant differences' I should have said "Strikingly different comparisons". Must be something I ate!

Hmmmnnn. Just looked up my CSU data again. Straight Hereford steers in their test had shear force of 6.05 lbs. This was rib steaks. Guess you can choose your source to come up with figures that suit your breed of choice.

Given the chance, I'd like to select about 20-40 Hereford bulls of what I believe to be the cutting edge of Hereford carcass genetics and see how their progeny would perform in such a test.

greenwillowherefords" Given the chance said:
I would think the results would be very good. I would hope that in most every breed you could find selected genetics that would produce exceptional carcasses.

Some interesting research has been done in New Zealand, where they've looked into the cancer-fighting properties associated with fat in beef. According to one fellow who's marketing his own beef, it's the Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, and he attributes it all to the soil fertility on his farm. His theory is that with the proper balance and ratio of micronutrients in the soil, the forage is healthier, therefore the stock is healthier which carries through to the consumer. They also noticed an increase in natural Vitamin A and D in the livers and other cuts, which our bodies need to properly absorb nutrients.

It's pretty fascinating that it's all based on high-school chemistry, too. By the way, the kiwi fellas methods were based on the research of Dr. William Albrecht, compiled by Charles Walters, the founder of 'AcresUSA'.

purecountry":1gaiswie said:
Some interesting research has been done in New Zealand, where they've looked into the cancer-fighting properties associated with fat in beef. According to one fellow who's marketing his own beef, it's the Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, and he attributes it all to the soil fertility on his farm. His theory is that with the proper balance and ratio of micronutrients in the soil, the forage is healthier, therefore the stock is healthier which carries through to the consumer. They also noticed an increase in natural Vitamin A and D in the livers and other cuts, which our bodies need to properly absorb nutrients.

It's pretty fascinating that it's all based on high-school chemistry, too. By the way, the kiwi fellas methods were based on the research of Dr. William Albrecht, compiled by Charles Walters, the founder of 'AcresUSA'.
High School Chemistry is the same Chemistry as University Chem - just not as extensive - but the same stuff! The Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids is a viable fact in the battle against Cancer. That is also a fact. AND - talking about the man whom I think was the SPEARHEAD of the move to improve Soil Fertility - DR. WILLIAM ALBRECHT- MY "Soils" Professor at MU some 59 years ago - I agree with him totally! What started with Dr. Albrecht years ago has become a giant avalanche of nutritional information which influences every living thing on this earth! It was a little difficult to understand everything he said because of his accent, but I learned a LOT from that man!

Mom at the Ranch":3hx3o101 said:
I would think the results would be very good. I would hope that in most every breed you could find selected genetics that would produce exceptional carcasses.

My unstated point being that it is more than likely that most Wagyu genetics available in this country are probably the breed elite, as it seems a waste of time to go to the trouble of importing second rate genetics.

It would also be interesting to observe the results of mating Wagyu with elite Hereford or Angus carcass genetics.

greenwillowherefords,

I don't know about the elite part, but most of the Wagyu in America is crossed with another breed. Namely Angus. If you see Kobe style beef, that is usually the case. (crossed that is , not necessarily Angus). Too expensive to slaughter full blood or purebred Wagyu.

We occassionally buy beef from Washington State University's meat lab. The last one we bought was a Angus/Wagyu cross and was probably the best beef I have eaten. Carcass yield on a full blood Wagyu is lowerer than other breeds due to the amount of external fat on them.

Bobg

Just now looked at this post. Wagyu may be the way to go if profit is your goal. :idea: I just pulled this from Wagyu.org

BEEF
Custom orders
Kobe type (Purebred Wagyu), and American Kobe type (Angus/Wagyu cross) Locker beef.
USDA graded naturally raised, no Hormones or antibiotics. From our closed ranch herd to your freezer, 1/4, 1/2 or whole carcass.
Price per hanging weight, Wagyu $6.00 lb. :shock:
Wagyu/Angus $4.00 lb.
Cut and wrapped to your specifications. We deliver.
Each order of Wagyu includes health history, and copy of the American Wagyu Association registration on the particular animal.

Bobg":3ksaa6r2 said:
We occassionally buy beef from Washington State University's meat lab. The last one we bought was a Angus/Wagyu cross and was probably the best beef I have eaten. Carcass yield on a full blood Wagyu is lowerer than other breeds due to the amount of external fat on them.

Bobg

Bobg, would you please explain the following statement "" Carcass yield on a full blood Wagyu is lowerer than other breeds due to the amount of external fat on them "" I just am not sure what you mean? Thanks!!
We have a daughter going to school in Vancouver, Washington she loves it up there!! She thinks that 80 is a heat wave!

Latest posts