4X4 Gator, Mule, similar . . . ??

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a 4x4 mule with a diesel motor . It's 7 or 8 years old and still going strong. . :tiphat: :2cents:

Whatever you look at insure you can lift a load (50 lb sack of feed) into the back without straining. Some of them are so darn high I need a ladder to get stuff in and out of them.

The mule is a frugal little work horse. Great machine. I even tipped mine over once.

We have a gator. Ours is a 620i, with a gas engine. These also come in diesel.

Several things sold me on the gator. First of all its a deere so it should be built to last. It is 4wd. The gator has the largest bed of all UTV's. And it has shaped, comfortable, bucket type seats. I could not tolerate the kubota seat, it is just a flat bench and a flat back. My gator has a lusty, deep sound. My parent's mule sounds like an angry mosquito.

There are gators with even more horsepower than mine, depending on what you want. Some will go 50 mph or more. Mine goes about 25 mph. We had some buried bent sucker rod to remove recently. I put it in 4wd and locked the differential and we pulled it right out. It has a lot of power.

One thing about most UTV's is they do not have power steering. Because the Mule seemed lighter, it did steer better--something to consider if the driver is going to be a kid. The gator is a little hard to steer at lower speeds.

My dogs load up in the gator by hopping on the seat and then getting in the bed. I wanted a large bed because we use it to feed, fix fence, and haul stuff.

Overall, the bigger bed, more comfy seats, and power/dependability of deere was what sold me on the gator. Before that we had a gas golf cart--you'd be surprised how much a golf cart can do as well. But we upgraded to a gator because of some rough property we bought and we needed more ground clearance, more power, and 4wd.

A lot of it depends on exactly how you plan to use it. There are numerous UTVs out there, and they're all good machines. But they don't all do everything perfectly. Also, have a good local dealer to help out with parts it worth considering. Eventually, it'll need fixed.

Kathie,

We have had plenty of ATV's and UTV's over the years. I must say that in my opinion, the JD Gator is the one to have. We currently run the 825i models and couldn't be more pleased with the performance. I don't know what we would do without the Gators on the farm... we use them for everything from checking cows, fence repairs, to mucking the horse stalls (the dump bed is a huge plus).

There are multiple options for the Gator... make sure that you get one with a cover (roof) on it! Makes those rainy days a lot more tolerable!

I was justing making a mental note last night as I was checking the cows that we already had over 1500 miles on the Gator in a little over a years time. No major issues other then normal routine service.

Brian

Both my dad and my father in law bought new gators 2-3 years ago. Great machines except the shifter on both of them is junk. Doesn't want to go in gear or stay in gear a lot of times. I thought that it the first one was a lemon when it started doing it after 6 months, but then the other one started about a year later.

We bought a new Mule last year and have been happy. It has power steering. My dad absolutely ruled out a Ranger. He said he wouldn't be able to lift anything heavy that high. If you are looking for something to work, I would pick a Mule. If you are mostly looking for joy riding, the Mule might not be the best. It is not the fastest UTV.

I like the newer rangers. The new 900 ranger is the best one they have made yet. They changed the engine transmission up from the previous 800 models. It shares the same powertrain as the RZR XP 900. The ranger XP's have a detuned version of the 900 engine. I have a RZR XP 900 it's been reliable even with a big lift and 34in tires. Whatever you decide get powersteering if at all possible. It's about a $1000 option on a standard model ranger. It makes it some much nicer in tight situations. On long rides where we ride all day in the woods my arms usually get pretty tired after 3-4 hours on constant turning. I will probably add it this summer.

From what I have seen so far nothing can beat a Kubota 1140 RTV for working around the farm. The price is the only down fall so far.

For the money if your just looking for a workhorse around the farm I would go with a mule. The price and dependability is why I would choose them. Could you get a heavier built one with more luxury?Yes, but it would take a significant increase of cash over a mule. I personally would look for a low time used machine because I'm way to cheap to buy a new one. So cheap I don't have a mule just use my father in laws. Other times I use a $500 state truck for a farm vehicle, it smokes some but it has been going strong for three years now. I know it isn't as handy as a UTV but it sure is cheaper. I don't have a lot of places that a 2wd pickup can't get you though, as long as it is dry. I'll buy one eventually, when the cattle pay for it, until then the pickup will do. ;-) Good luck in your search!!!

OldCrow

All of the good things said about the Mule is the reason I bought mine. My experience has NOT been good. It has a little over 400 hours on it and so far it has cost me about $3500 for carb problems and it's in the shop again. If you can afford it I would consider a diesel over the gas model(s). Or consider a used Jeep because you can buy a good, used Jeep for about the same as a Mule or Gator, etc.

lavacarancher":2nfzcyos said:
All of the good things said about the Mule is the reason I bought mine. My experience has NOT been good. It has a little over 400 hours on it and so far it has cost me about $3500 for carb problems and it's in the shop again. If you can afford it I would consider a diesel over the gas model(s). Or consider a used Jeep because you can buy a good, used Jeep for about the same as a Mule or Gator, etc.

That sucks. Does the shop have a good reputation for quality work? Sounds like you may have a lemon. 400 hours isn't much time to be experiencing $3500 worth of issues. I agree about the jeep if your place is set up for it. A jeep isn't much bigger than some utvs. Around here you can get a good jeep for around $4000.

OldCrow

Latest posts