4X4 Gator, Mule, similar . . . ??

Help Support CattleToday:

There is an adjustment on the carb (blocked off so you can;t reach it) that takes care of about 99% of the carbration issues. In ca you would probably end up in the state pen if you fixed it. It has to do with the emisions crap.

High Cotton":1dsbdpyn said:
Have they changed the suspension up on the mules in the last 5 years? The last one I rode in ride like an original gator.
That was my experience too. That and the fact that they're so slow were the reason I went with a Ranger. I didn't test drive the new Mules, but the dealer that I bought from told me they still rode pretty rough, compared to the Ranger. He sold both, so I don't think he had reason to favor one over the other.

Bought a mule 600 2 wheel drive 8 years ago, and it finally gave out on me last week. It was tortured by 7 kids and did all the work on my farm, and did it well....It had a little over 3000 hours on it.

So today just bought a 2012 trans 4010 4x4 loaded even with a warn winch and a custom top. For me, it'll be nothing but mules.

dun":zeqdewo2 said:
There is an adjustment on the carb (blocked off so you can;t reach it) that takes care of about 99% of the carbration issues. In ca you would probably end up in the state pen if you fixed it. It has to do with the emisions crap.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. First two carbs were not blocked but the last one was. The guy looking at it now claims he knows how to fix it permanently and it sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Not going to say how he's going to do it or who he is but I have confidence he can do it. First three places I took it to were dealerships. This guy who is looking at it now is a one man show with more than 25 yrs working on small engines. Keepin' my fingers crossed.

lavacarancher":3uh1f6s7 said:
dun":3uh1f6s7 said:

Yes, you are absolutely correct. First two carbs were not blocked but the last one was. The guy looking at it now claims he knows how to fix it permanently and it sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Not going to say how he's going to do it or who he is but I have confidence he can do it. First three places I took it to were dealerships. This guy who is looking at it now is a one man show with more than 25 yrs working on small engines. Keepin' my fingers crossed.
It's a less then 30 second job to fix it. Back when I fixed mine I PMed the fix to a bunch of people that had the same issues. I'll gaurantee that it will run like a totally different machine afterwards. And it will actaully idle for long periods of time

I saw a tracked amphibious Argos today. I can have it shipped just say the word. What a deal I have for you today

I don't own any atv's but from what I'm told the Kubota or mule in diesel are the ones to have if you will ever use it in dry grass.

WORANCH":3fx0f9h2 said:
I have a 4x4 mule with a diesel motor . It's 7 or 8 years old and still going strong. . :tiphat: :2cents:
I like Mules. Seem to be good value.

If you had it to do over, would you go gas instead of diesel?

HDRider":pe4s2u5z said:
WORANCH":pe4s2u5z said:
I have a 4x4 mule with a diesel motor . It's 7 or 8 years old and still going strong. . :tiphat: :2cents:

Had a diesel mule a few years ago. By the time I got to where I was going I would have such a headache from the noise that I dumped it and got another gasser.

HDRider":23cte81c said:
WORANCH":23cte81c said:

I like the diesel , It has alot of power and I can fill it from my fuel tank . By using off road fuel I don't have to haul gas all the time .

Like dun said its loud , but I'm use to it.

I rode in both the 4 seat Polaris and the 4 seat Mule this weekend. The Polaris is no doubt the smoother more comfortable ride. IF you are going to log long hours like we do hunting hunting, that is where you want to be. We had 5 adults in it right after the rain and it never missed a beat.

With that said, from a work stand point around the farm or ranch the Mule would still be my first choice. Especially in the 4 seaters bed space is very limited. The Mule does not get enough credit for the folding rear seat. It is very handy and makes for a large bed when the seat is not needed.

I have had a Polaris Ranger 500 since 2006. About the most useful tool on the farm.

A major difference between various brands and models is the rear axle. Is it rigid or independent rear suspension? The rigid is much less expensive to manufacture than independent.

The choice depends on how you want to use it. If you are generally on roads, trails or smooth fields then a rigid rear axle is OK. However if you will be off trails, going across fields or in the woods or have back problems independent rear suspension is the way to go.

Another big difference between machines is the top speed. Some have a 25 MPH top speed. The Ranger is about 45 MPH. Makes a big difference when going to visit a neighbor or far pasture.

People suggesting using a pickup evidently dont have mud or ground like mine when they go out to fix a fence in a tough spot.

Good luck with your choice.

Jim

TennesseeTuxedo":26zbh68m said:
They cost as much as a used truck don't they?

Actually trucks are less $$$. I am using a 1500 Silverado that lost 3rd gear pulling gravity boxes full of corn... Since it only had 279,000 on it we kept it as a farm truck. It cruises at 25 to 35 mph in M2 with a box full of tools and a wagon full of hay! Plus my dog gets to sleep in a dry cab when it is not in use. :D

I have thought about getting a Jeep if the wife would just stop buying more cows... Why would you buy a Ranger rather than a used Wrangler?

Got an 80 cj 7 that I use for farm,hunting and playing and riding (my wife`s favorite pastime) and if I want to go to town on it I do. I have a golf cart for chores around the house. I would like a utv but it would only replace the golf cart. The jeep is handy

Kathie in Thorp":26h5xbc8 said:
hooknline":26h5xbc8 said:
I saw a tracked amphibious Argos today. I can have it shipped just say the word. What a deal I have for you today
Oh, lord, Hook is on the hunt again . . . . You found WHAT??
It was an amphibious vehicle with tracks. Looked bad azz. About the size of a utv. The only downside to utvs here is there are places that even they can't go and a atv is a squeeze. I decided to stick with the atv myself.

Latest posts