Bird identification

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I've never seen them but there are some kind of bird around here that I only hear at night. The sound it makes is "eeep". Does it about every minute or 2. Just the single eeep. Any ideas what it may be?

dun":1p11ks7b said:
I've never seen them but there are some kind of bird around here that I only hear at night. The sound it makes is "eeep". Does it about every minute or 2. Just the single eeep. Any ideas what it may be?
We have a young screech Owl in a maple that sounds like that.

Crowderfarms":3ty15qbz said:
dun":3ty15qbz said:

Do you have a partridge in a pear tree also?

cfpinz

cfpinz":18w6q8b9 said:
Crowderfarms":18w6q8b9 said:
dun":18w6q8b9 said:

Do you have a partridge in a pear tree also?

cfpinz

Not Lately. Just a constipated Buzzard. :lol:

john250":25c7qw4n said:
Time to change the battery in the smoke detector?

:lol: :lol: I had forgotten that one. Had the eeeep in the house one time and went nuts trying to find the source. You only get that eeep about once or twice a day. Took a week to figure it out. Then felt stupid.

backhoeboogie":3t44be1l said:
john250":3t44be1l said:
Time to change the battery in the smoke detector?

:lol: :lol: I had forgotten that one. Had the eeeep in the house one time and went nuts trying to find the source. You only get that eeep about once or twice a day. Took a week to figure it out. Then felt stupid.

I'll have to check the battery on the smoke detectors in the pasture, around the chute and up a big oak tree in the front yard

Got a Great Blue Heron that sometimes roosts in some tall trees close to my house and pond that "Eeeeps" once every 5-15 minutes during the night.

I like to have never found out what he was till I got the spotlight one night and went walking towards the sound.

He finally flew out and I spotted him.

dun":263u2l8i said:
Is it flying overhead when it does it or is it perched ?

Perhaps the Least Crested Brown Nuthatch, juveneil stage of course. Where is Miss Jane Hathaway when you need her?

denoginnizer":2w8etaxe said:
dun":2w8etaxe said:

It comes from different areas at different times. 10-15 inuts in one location then another spot for a while. I've tried spotlighting it, no luck. You would think you could see that little blinking eye on the smoke detector at night.

dun":1hmpjoem said:
denoginnizer":1hmpjoem said:
dun":1hmpjoem said:

It comes from different areas at different times. 10-15 inuts in one location then another spot for a while. I've tried spotlighting it, no luck. You would think you could see that little blinking eye on the smoke detector at night.

The bright side is you know how to play tricks on the neighbors now. Hide off on the hill in the middle of the night and let go wtih strange bird calls.

milesvb":3t7466s6 said:
Dun, do you have hearing aids?

Whenever one of my old man's hearing aids catches feed back it goes "EEEEp!".

Nope, and it's only at night until just before sunrise. Then it stops for the day.
I did some searches on birds that go eeep. Turns out there are dozens of them including meadowlarks. And we have a ton of meadowlarks.

Latest posts