Bird Repellent?

Help Support CattleToday:

fnfarms1

Reaction score
So my shop was built by my dad 23yrs ago. Other than sound deadening I have no idea why there's insulation on the inside of the roof. It's foam board insulation. Recently birds have decided they like to tear it up. Azzholes! I've tried a decoy owl, can't shoot enough to help with BB gun, use something big enough to really shoot them and the roof will leak. Their crapping all over my truck and tractor. Any tips or ideas? I've heard chicken wire of the insulation but pretty sure they will just pick thru it. They've even tunneled into the enclosed portion of my shop and sit there and crap on my welder. I'm at a loss what to do, this is going on about a 2yr+ battle. Pretty sure their just sparrows.

Attachments

• 62134DDC-8FBE-4FA3-995A-E29623058872.jpeg
    62134DDC-8FBE-4FA3-995A-E29623058872.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
I would be careful about bb's or rat shot. If any of it even dents the outside protective coating of the metal roofing, it could eventually rust in that spot and eventually leak.

I don't know how practical it would be to use these or how accessible the spots are, but have you considered "Bird Spikes"?
81BKyfU+N5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

They have to take flight, when they do introduce them to some 7 1/2's. Run them out of the building and light them up.
I would think firecrackers would make them want to evacuate.
You put enough pressure on them coming and going they will move or you will eradicate the problem.
You can get poison for them as well. Exterminator at the refinery used a bait of basically amdro and grain killed them black flag dead. It was labeled for pigeon control.
They also make a bait that renders the eggs infertile breaking your never ending supply of replacements.

Wait a bit and this current bird flu will probably take care of the problem for you.
As high as that roof looks, I just don't see .22 rat shot denting it.
Got katz?
Git moore

So my shop was built by my dad 23yrs ago. Other than sound deadening I have no idea why there's insulation on the inside of the roof. It's foam board insulation. Recently birds have decided they like to tear it up. Azzholes! I've tried a decoy owl, can't shoot enough to help with BB gun, use something big enough to really shoot them and the roof will leak. Their crapping all over my truck and tractor. Any tips or ideas? I've heard chicken wire of the insulation but pretty sure they will just pick thru it. They've even tunneled into the enclosed portion of my shop and sit there and crap on my welder. I'm at a loss what to do, this is going on about a 2yr+ battle. Pretty sure their just sparrows.
Hang rubber snakes

@M.Magis has the right idea. You can buy cheap nylon netting that is sold to protect fruit trees from birds. A staple gun and a tall ladder and you won't have birds in your building because they won't have anywhere to roost. Badda-bing, badda-boom...

@M.Magis has the right idea. You can buy cheap nylon netting that is sold to protect fruit trees from birds. A staple gun and a tall ladder and you won't have birds in your building because they won't have anywhere to roost. Badda-bing, badda-boom...
Good luck with that. His picture shows steel trusses.

The underside was probably originally insulated to lessen the risk of condensation dripping down cold nights that turn into warm mornings..

Owl decoys never worked for us. We had a problem with birds, especially woodpeckers, when we lived in TX. Someone told us to hang small mirrors (that you can get at a craft store) but I hung a bunch of blank CD disks I had laying around (back in the day) and it worked. Something about the reflection deterred the birds. Have no idea if it would work in your situation, but a relatively inexpensive and simple thing to try.

Owl decoys never worked for us. We had a problem with birds, especially woodpeckers, when we lived in TX. Someone told us to hang small mirrors (that you can get at a craft store) but I hung a bunch of blank CD disks I had laying around (back in the day) and it worked. Something about the reflection deterred the birds. Have no idea if it would work in your situation, but a relatively inexpensive and simple thing to try.
Maybe add a strobe and party ball too -- multiply the reflections.

Latest posts