Buying bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Ya know... I hear a lot of people say you can't use a young bull on a lot of cows, but I have. The last bull I bought was a black Angus out of a red Angus cow, from a high powered breeder that only had the red cow because he had a kid that liked it and he gave it to the kid. One of the best looking Angus I've ever seen and I got him cheap because, of course, he was heterozygous. He was 18 months old and I put him on forty cows, and he settled them all. I don't know your situation but I'd look at the (long) yearlings with the idea that they will be older when I would be using them.
when I got my bull I thought he might need to get him a step stool to get the job done, nope he took care of all 6.

I was to the Diamond Peak Cattle Company sale here in Riverton Saturday. They sold some bull ranging from 1500 to 6000. I did bid on a couple but didn't get anything bought. They had some fairly nice bulls. I was kind of surprised to see them here, as they are from Craig Colorado, didn't know they brought bulls up here. I don't really know the Raftopoulos all that well, but did know who they were. In fact my dad probably knows them better than I do. They used to be a pretty big sheep outfit, but like a lot I think they have switched to cattle.

Tuesday I am going to the Hancock bull sale here in Riverton. Dad and I have a few bulls we are maybe going to bid on, depending on where they start the bidding.

Well I think my bull is down for the count. Probably going to have to shoot him.
Did he go paralyzed in the back end? We had a big 5 year old bull start walking slow last fall and then started dragging his back feet as he walked. Got him to the barn so he didn't have to walks far for feed or water and he couldn't get up about 3 days later. Either a tumor or spinal injury.

Did he go paralyzed in the back end? We had a big 5 year old bull start walking slow last fall and then started dragging his back feet as he walked. Got him to the barn so he didn't have to walks far for feed or water and he couldn't get up about 3 days later. Either a tumor or spinal injury.
I think so.

I done did the dirty deed, put that old bull down today. Dang I hated to do that. I then went out and picked up a calf that had died, ended up spearing it with the spear. Was going to drop it into the pickup and was not watching the other spear and got the corner of the cab with the spear. Put about a three inch hole in the cab. Dang it, I guess bad luck sometimes comes in three's.

Sorry to hear that. That's a rough day. When it rains it pours sometimes. Hopefully the bad is out of the way now, and better days ahead.

I done did the dirty deed, put that old bull down today. Dang I hated to do that. I then went out and picked up a calf that had died, ended up spearing it with the spear. Was going to drop it into the pickup and was not watching the other spear and got the corner of the cab with the spear. Put about a three inch hole in the cab. Dang it, I guess bad luck sometimes comes in three's.
I'd say you had things on your mind with the hole in the truck, unfortunate, things will improve when you get your new bull.

Ken

I have heard of people cutting the fence so the neighbor's bull comes over to 'improve the herd'. I do not promote this. My husband was told by a Texas Aggie Beef professor about avoiding "auction yard ho's", that is, cows that have been through the auction so many times you don't know what kind of venereal diseases they've got. Neighbor might have auction yard hos.

I have heard of people cutting the fence so the neighbor's bull comes over to 'improve the herd'. I do not promote this. My husband was told by a Texas Aggie Beef professor about avoiding "auction yard ho's", that is, cows that have been through the auction so many times you don't know what kind of venereal diseases they've got. Neighbor might have auction yard hos.
In SD you had to brand... so you'd know if a cow had been owned by several people. When we brought cattle home the first thing we'd do is brand.

Bale spears are hard on sheet metal. I have a hole in the pole barn and another in the shop door from getting too close. They just seem to stick out about 6 inches further than you think from your view on the seat.

I bet a lot of those cows are all marked up like the fat women in Walmart :)
I know that I have cows out in the pasture with 4 brands on them counting mine. Some might have more once they shed out in the spring. The most I have had on a cow was 8 brands. Doesn't bother me. I am making money off them, not taking them to the county fair.

Our herd Bull, Corriente / Charolais cross..
We always sell them after a few years.. Once we see how their calves look.
So yeah we hang onto them for a few year if we think they will make a nice bull for someone.
His sire was the Bull that started breeding at 6 months old!
The one's that we don't think will be fit as bulls , we sell right away.
Or cut them or butcher...

Last summer
DSCN0536.JPG

This pass fall
DSCN0699.JPG

This mid- winter... standing knee and hock deep in the "spring runoff bog "
DSCN0980.JPG

That would be $3500 I'd be putting in my pocket
This little hole is going to cost $3500 to get fixed. I guess we will turn this one into the insurance.

View attachment 27667
That would be $3500 I'd be putting in my pocket. That kind of thing is easily repaired at home.

Latest posts