hay supply and prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Bcompton53

Reaction score
I understand that supply and demand is in play here, but we just paid $166/ton for brome hay, and that's before the $4/loaded mile to deliver 40 miles. It's too bad to see hay farmers racking cattle ranches over the coals. Our farm is run by myself and my dad, our grain bin is an old gravity wagon with junk tires which holds the whole corn for winter. Our tractor is an open cab 4020. I buy whole corn at market price from a neighbor and have been feeding 6 pounds/day/head mixed with soybean meal just go try to keep our cattle alive and well. This hay mess will be the death of farms like ours. If it wasn't for the work we put into culling cows, we might as well sell the whole herd over winter, and buy bred cows each spring. I mean what's the point when the farmer down the road is willing to take advantage of a bad situation? We only have 80 acres, no extra for hay, and we're using a cattle chute built at least 40 years ago. I actually live 3 hours away, and both myself and my dad work full time. You'll have to forgive me for using this platform to vent, but the call the my cost on hay will come out to $171/ton delivered just really makes my gut hurt. Next time anyone doesn't finish a burger or steak at a restaurant, I hope they remember that sometime, somewhere, is a farmer that lost money to get that meat to them.

callmefence said:
Would you take 3.00 a pound for your calves if that's what someone would pay?

See my first sentence. I stated that I understand supply and demand. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

M-5 said:
and next year with a bumper crop hay will be 50$ a ton with the same input cost .

Honestly whether you meant to or not, that makes me feel a lot better. Haha.

Absolute reason I quit growing hay to sell and have 6 year old hat in the barn. That and having to load weekenders on their schedule.

callmefence said:
Bcompton53 said:
callmefence said:
Would you take 3.00 a pound for your calves if that's what someone would pay?

See my first sentence. I stated that I understand supply and demand. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Ok so would you consider it racking the buyers.... your words, not mine

Well, I meant raking, not racking. It is similar, in a way to a person asking to buy your car, and since you know they need it badly, you double the price. Let me give you an example, one of my hay suppliers told me that he isn't in the business to screw over fellow farmers, so we bought all the hay he had for $100/ton. I am grateful for folks like that.

I sell hay but i'm not in the hay business per-say. I sell around 100 a ton whether its boom or bust . I could charge more some years and I have went up some but Its because of input cost not riding the market. the folks that shop for the cheapest hay I don't want anyway . I prefer my select few customers

I didn't overcharge my hay customers either. Still wouldn't. But I'm not selling it for what it cost me to produce or less. I deserve to be compensated for my time and risks also.

M-5 said:
I sell hay but i'm not in the hay business per-say. I sell around 100 a ton whether its boom or bust . I could charge more some years and I have went up some but Its because of input cost not riding the market. the folks that shop for the cheapest hay I don't want anyway . I prefer my select few customers

Yeah I'd rather have a seller that I can trust, and could just call up each year, but all those folks were dry this year.

Hay inventory is down in many parts of the country. Some areas are at a 50 year low. I would not plan on cheap hay in 2019-2020. I think we all need to revisit our stocking rate. "Better to make money on 10 head than lose money on 100 head."

I understand your frustration being on the receiving end of high hay prices and sympathize with your situation. Sounds like a tough one. We had a terrible year for hay here too. I make a fair amount of hay and I'm not one for going too crazy on the price so I mostly chose to buy animals to eat my excess hay this year instead of selling it.
One thing I'll point out is when there's no hay the guy making it's expenses are much higher too. For instance I have a field I pulled 250 bales off the year before last. Last spring I fertilized it and with the drought conditions we had I only got 95 bales. Fertilizer cost alone was about $35/bale. Same amount of ground to cover for 40% of the hay. I estimate it costs me $18 to make a bale on a regular year for equipment, fuel and twine. The only one I saved on was twine which is negligible. Same land taxes and my field`s a year older and closer to needing re-seeding too. A bale might have cost $80-$90 before profit to make this year.

Rydero said:
I understand your frustration being on the receiving end of high hay prices and sympathize with your situation. Sounds like a tough one. We had a terrible year for hay here too. I make a fair amount of hay and I'm not one for going too crazy on the price so I mostly chose to buy animals to eat my excess hay this year instead of selling it.
One thing I'll point out is when there's no hay the guy making it's expenses are much higher too. For instance I have a field I pulled 250 bales off the year before last. Last spring I fertilized it and with the drought conditions we had I only got 95 bales. Fertilizer cost alone was about $35/bale. Same amount of ground to cover for 40% of the hay. I estimate it costs me $18 to make a bale on a regular year for equipment, fuel and twine. The only one I saved on was twine which is negligible. Same land taxes and my field`s a year older and closer to needing re-seeding too. A bale might have cost $80-$90 before profit to make this year.

Yeah I hear you. And I'm obviously not the only one hurting here. Unfortunately it's a problem across the board, nobody wins in these situations, if they're being honest anyway. It's a messed up industry.

What it comes down to is that farmers are price takers. Just cause expenses went up doesn't mean we get any more for calves, etc. It's always perplexed me that the one job that makes it possible for there to be any other job besides gathering food would pay so bad that in most cases you have to have another job to do it.

It's bad here too for some folks looking for hay. Don't really understand why we had no droughts. We sold 65 rolls out of the barn this week. I have never understood the round roll cow hay market here. Going price on a normal year for a good round roll of grass hay is normaly 35-40 dollars blows my mind. You can't make it for that. Guys are wearing their stuff out to lose money, me included. So everyone is paying money to make hay and lose money on it. Now that hay is going 50-65 dollars a roll. Great guys are making a little coin on their investment. This is spoken from Knob Lick Ky. Mileage may vary in other parts. However one might try the hay guys boots on to see what his profit really is.

In 1997 I sold my equipment and bought my hay ever since. At least 4 out of 5 years I bought hay cheaper than I can make it. But I never bought hay in February. Buying hay this late in the year is almost guaranteed to cost too much. I always bought the hay in the summer and bought more than I figured I would use. I would feed the left over hay first the next year. Droughts are rare in Western Washington but we had one which forced me to start feeding hay 2 1/2 months early. By November I was counting bales and could see well in advance that I would run short. I got in a semi load of hay the first of December. Come February people were begging for hay and there simply was't any available at any price. How does the saying go, bad planning on your part does not constitute a panic on my part.

Dave said:
In 1997 I sold my equipment and bought my hay ever since. At least 4 out of 5 years I bought hay cheaper than I can make it. But I never bought hay in February. Buying hay this late in the year is almost guaranteed to cost too much. I always bought the hay in the summer and bought more than I figured I would use. I would feed the left over hay first the next year. Droughts are rare in Western Washington but we had one which forced me to start feeding hay 2 1/2 months early. By November I was counting bales and could see well in advance that I would run short. I got in a semi load of hay the first of December. Come February people were begging for hay and there simply was't any available at any price. How does the saying go, bad planning on your part does not constitute a panic on my part.

Yeah, I'm to blame. Excuse the 30 year old trying to build a herd, who doesn't have any family in the business, who lives 3 hours from his herd. Farm changed from dairy to beef 3 years ago, and been building the herd since then. My only two "normal" sources for hay had none. Zero, zilch. So I'm piecing together the orders I can find. I've bought two people out so far. But yeah, It's my God aweful planning. Thanks for the encouragement.

From a little different perspective. We make hay and sell some. Run a cow/calf operation. We are tired of everyone that moans and groans about the cost of the hay when we charge $40 or more a roll for mixed grass hay and $50 or more for decent first cutting orchard grass. We start our small square bales at $5.00 now. We have customers that we have had for over 20 years. We know about how much they use, we make sure we have enough for them. We don't gouge them. But we HAVE to make a little "profit" so that we can make a little for our time. We have to hire some help to put up the sq bales. That's not cheap.
Most of the time there is a minimum of $30-35 in a roll. Fertilizer doesn't get any cheaper. Fuel and all too. Land rents keep going up. Bought any equipment lately? The years we get a real good crop, so does everyone else. Then it is cheap. We lose money or feed it to our animals.
Rydero and littletom are right. Rolls have been bringing $30-35 a roll for the last 20 years. It costs more to get it made. We are tired of barely paying for the costs, and our labor is free. When there is a shortage, people come out of the woodwork and then cry about how expensive it is. When there is plenty, you don't see those people cuz they found it for $5 bale less than what you are getting.
We do alot of delivery of the small squares to a couple of these regular customers. We have weeded out the deadbeats. These guys are there to help if they aren't working, and they have a check or cash waiting. For the ones that we have been delivering to regularly, they will call a couple of weeks ahead, say we have xx number of bales left. We will make a delivery, and if they aren't home, they will be on the phone the next day, "how many did you bring and what do I owe you?" There are no complaints, because they know they will get taken care of.

The ones that start calling around, and say wow, that's alot, I got some from so and so, for xx dollars... can you meet that? NOPE go back and get more from them. We have a lady that was referred to us. She came, looked at the hay, PREPAID for 10 rolls up front with the stipulation that she gets one a week. $45 roll. She calls a day or two ahead, asks when we are going to be at the barn. Makes it suit OUR schedule. Loads one in the truck. She just asked if we would have 20 more... we promised her 10 more at this time. We are getting down because last year was a tough year to get it made. Our cows are eating hay like there is no tomorrow this winter. All the cold and wet weather is hard on them.
NOT going to keep giving it away. We only want a fair price. We cover alot of ground and this discbine is already 3 years old. The round balers are more than 10, maybe 15 years old. The square baler is over 20 years old. Just had it worked over. Diesel is 2.60/gal for off road now. We cut, tedd, rake, and bale. If it dries good, sometimes don't have to tedd. At least 3,usually 4 trips over the field. The rakes are all used, a large wheel rake, and small side delivery rake for the cut up fields. I still use the Farmall H to rake the small fields with. Sometimes more trips across, if the weather isn't the best. Last year everything was wet, way over mature, and we struggled to make it decent. Many fields got tedded twice to get it dry.
If you are getting decent hay, be glad. It isn't our fault that it costs to get it made. There isn't alot of good hay around. Many "hay farmers" are trying to get it sold right out of the field so that there is less handling. Round or sq bales, handling makes them more expensive.
We no longer take "cold calls" for hay. You have to be referred by someone because we trust those that do the referring to not send someone to us that is going to hem and haw over it. Or give us a bad check, or get all loaded and say they only have xx dollars with them.
These are some of the reasons that people quit making hay to sell. On top of that, it is hard hot work. We have 1 tractor with air conditioning. 20 years old. You HAVE to use it to cut with the discbine for the protection of the cab. You have to round bale with it or you get so choked up from the dust that you get sick. And a non-airconditioned cab will cook you in the hot summertime. I use open cab and no cab tractors to tedd and rake with. Have an umbrella for a little shade protection.

Add to that, the calf prices are lower here. We can barely get 1.50 lb for feeder steers @ 500 lbs. 1.15 for heifers. If I am going to give away my hay for less than I can make it, I am going to put it in my calves. At least some of the fertilizer that I used on the field, will come back out of the calves and go back on my field.
I get that it is "expensive" to you because the calf prices are low. But it is not expensive when you take a look at the inputs.
Any business that I have ever seen, takes the costs of what it takes to make their product, then adds a percentage to be able to make a profit. Farmers are the only ones who don't . There is something wrong with this picture.

Latest posts