How much would you work for?

Help Support CattleToday:

At 46 I'm not as seasoned as some of you, but my first job off the home farm was $3.35 for hooking weeds in bean fields. Detasseled corn for 4, baled hay for 5. A couple guys in the area would only pay 4 in the hay field, and I decided that I was worth 5 at least, never bucked a bale for them. Wasn't to good to work, but I wasn't going to let them tight aXXes skin me.

I guess it depends on your life style. There are a lot of days I walk away from $19/hr to work for $0. My cows are my priority. The neighbor that I'm herdsman for understands that. When chores get done and I need to haul manure or mow hay, his piece of equipment in the shop gets to wait to be fixed.
We were discussing custom feeding in his cattle confinement one day. I figured that you could clear $85/day. On the days that you just chored and walk pens that sounds like a lot of $ to me. His son chimed in that he wouldn't get out of bed for $85. He likes prettier toys than I do.

Texas shows $7.25 and I would be for $8, 9 maybe $10 an hour minimum wage.
I own a small business and I agree I could understand a raise to $10 but $15 is more than double. Not sure how I could juggle that. Guess I would have to cut their hours. Nobody wins doing that. I hope they come to their senses and stop at $10. A lot of businesses will go out at $15 considering they are hanging on a thread with this pandemic

KT around here 30k ($15/hr) is a pretty good job, especially starting out. IMO the benefits, working conditions and the people you work with are as important.
Exactly. There's half a dozen factories within a half hour radius of where I work constantly advertising for workers. It's not hard for unskilled laborers to make $50k/year if you don't mind shift work and are able to show up each day.

My skillset is considerably better than it was when I was in my 20's, so I consider my time to be worth quite a bit more than it used to be. That being said, if it means putting food on the table or taking care of my family, there's very little I wouldn't do in order to be able to do so. I'd rather work for less than I'd like while I'm looking for something better, as opposed to sitting on my ass with my hand out in the meantime.

Worked for a farmer in the North Alabama cotton fields for 2.25/h and my Mom maid me quit because I got so sunburned. Then got a job digging graves for 3.35 which was actual minimum wage.

I'll work for cheap beer truth be known

I will admit I was spoiled. When I left home I worked a large ranch for $1,500/ month with a house and utilities provided to me. The lure of the oil patch money drew me away and my first year (1990) I made $60k with a chainsaw in my hand. As much as I hated the patch, I have to admit it was good to me and was the path that allowed me to do what I'm doing now.

I own my own small business, and if anyone thinks the trickle down process isn't going to be impacted by the $15 per hour minimum wage, they are completely crazy. I pay my team significantly more than $15 per hour, but I employ skilled professionals in my business. When McDonalds pays $15 per hour for their employees, the price of a Big Mac is going to double, and the lines waiting to place their order are going to double as well. Basically, any time we use anything other than pure competition to control anything relating to business, the consumer is going to pay the price in the end. Not sure why the government thinks they can control business....when history proves they can't even control their own business.

I will admit I was spoiled. When I left home I worked a large ranch for $1,500/ month with a house and utilities provided to me. The lure of the oil patch money drew me away and my first year (1990) I made $60k with a chainsaw in my hand. As much as I hated the patch, I have to admit it was good to me and was the path that allowed me to do what I'm doing now.
That is pretty good.

Agree with @Gators Rule. Combine the higher minimum wage with the trillions in deficit spending being done. I wonder how high will inflation go over the next four years?
Inflation won't be a factor. WHY?
Because I moved most of my bond holdings to inflation protected securities
and with my luck it will be wrong. :) lol

Exactly. There's half a dozen factories within a half hour radius of where I work constantly advertising for workers. It's not hard for unskilled laborers to make $50k/year if you don't mind shift work and are able to show up each day.

My skillset is considerably better than it was when I was in my 20's, so I consider my time to be worth quite a bit more than it used to be. That being said, if it means putting food on the table or taking care of my family, there's very little I wouldn't do in order to be able to do so. I'd rather work for less than I'd like while I'm looking for something better, as opposed to sitting on my ass with my hand out in the meantime.
Apparently shift work and showing up is too much for the younger crowd. The factory in town is hiring constantly, can't keep help. After 90 days third shift makes over $19/hour with super benefits and OT if you want it. I've worked a lot harder for a lot less.

The real problem with minimum wage is that it's being set at the federal level. 15/hour is too good for my area but doesn't work in New York. The Fed should set it at 10.00 and let localities adjust to suit their specific region.

Tomorrow I deliver a horse trailer to MIssissippi. I will make a little over $20 an hour going there. Make nothing coming back, their truck and their gas. But if I want to stop and look at cattle, go to a gun store, go fishing, whatever on the way back its all paid for up front. Will be money I wouldn't have had otherwise. They are paying for me to tour the country, 800-1100 miles a trip.

Latest posts