Would you rather be a ......

Help Support CattleToday:

They obviously don't know what engineers really do. They only fix things on paper. šŸ¤£
Do they? Certain engineering fields I'm convinced are just fronts. I've got two buddies that are "engineers" that make pretty insane money considering that they can't give me a one sentence description of what they do without it sounding like they don't do much and they spend as much time at the range or travelling as they do working.

Do they? Certain engineering fields I'm convinced are just fronts. I've got two buddies that are "engineers" that make pretty insane money considering that they can't give me a one sentence description of what they do without it sounding like they don't do much and they spend as much time at the range or travelling as they do working.
So, they make a lot of money without doing a lot of work. Why would anyone want that when they could be working more for less money?;)

My buddy will talk and talk and talk about how to do it. Finally, I have to cut him off and say I have to actually go get this done.

I tell him I can mess up twice and get it done on the third before he has thought about how to start.šŸ˜„

I was in a big class on production equipment a few years back for work. One of our vendors put it on as a training type deal. There were a bunch of engineers for major companies like Conoco there. I and one other guy were the only two non-engineers.

It was brutal. We couldn't get through 5 min with out tons of questions that had nothing to do with nothing. Even the people putting it on were getting wore out.

The guy leading the deal, was who I dealt with and ordered through. At one point he said, you know when you are look at a... then he said some piece of equipment I can't remember. The engineer guy responded... well I've never actually seen one of these in real life.

I literally said... F me... out loud and walked out. I went and hung out with some other guys I knew until lunch. The guy leading the deal came out and in to the office where I was and was laughing. Then we were trying to eat lunch and they wanted to talk about it more. šŸ˜„ We still joke about that now. He ended up having to take the whole class out to the shop to look at the equipment because quite a few had never seen it in real life.

... and these guys were involved in designing prod facilities having never seen the equipment in real life.

I actually had this conversation with a customer once as I was repairing something for her. She says " I wish my husband was handy like you". I looked at her and said " Mary, I wish I had as much money as your husaband so I could pay people to fix stuff." She laughed and said " I really never thought about it like that". We were good friends then and still are so I knew she wouldn't get offended and would appreciate the perspective.
And then there's my wife, married a broke loser who can't fix anything!šŸ˜†

Have you notice the Hooptie is still sitting on the corner of 6 for sale? That thing is calling our names...

I was in a big class on production equipment a few years back for work. One of our vendors put it on as a training type deal. There were a bunch of engineers for major companies like Conoco there. I and one other guy were the only two non-engineers.

It was brutal. We couldn't get through 5 min with out tons of questions that had nothing to do with nothing. Even the people putting it on were getting wore out.

The guy leading the deal, was who I dealt with and ordered through. At one point he said, you know when you are look at a... then he said some piece of equipment I can't remember. The engineer guy responded... well I've never actually seen one of these in real life.

I literally said... F me... out loud and walked out. I went and hung out with some other guys I knew until lunch. The guy leading the deal came out and in to the office where I was and was laughing. Then we were trying to eat lunch and they wanted to talk about it more. šŸ˜„ We still joke about that now. He ended up having to take the whole class out to the shop to look at the equipment because quite a few had never seen it in real life.

... and these guys were involved in designing prod facilities having never seen the equipment in real life.
One of my jobs was to mentor new engineers. We only hired the top 10% out of TAMU and Georgia Tech primarily.
These were great kids but it made you wonder sometimes who in their life taught them to breathe. I was supposed to give them real life experience to go with the book knowledge.

And then there's my wife, married a broke loser who can't fix anything!šŸ˜†

Have you notice the Hooptie is still sitting on the corner of 6 for sale? That thing is calling our names...

Imagine how my wife feels!šŸ˜‚

I haven't been thru there in awhile but we do have the man buns to pull it off now!

They only fix things on paper.
Do they?
Remember; they're the guys that designed it in the first place.
We had an engineer at the oil patch mud/chemical place I worked for. A nice guy but we all wondered why the lab was always empty and he never once went out on location.

You're actually right. Quality engineering is a butt picking, hand sniffing joke. Turn everything into paperwork. Never see them after hours or weekends. They exist to talk to their counterparts.

Why didn't I just go into a BS line of work? All the stuff I normally do requires me to pretty constantly produce a visible endstate.

I've been thinking, since I'm still fairly young, about using the rest of my GI Bill. I should figure out which field best enables me to be a pain in the azz.

Why didn't I just go into a BS line of work? All the stuff I normally do requires me to pretty constantly produce a visible endstate.

I've been thinking, since I'm still fairly young, about using the rest of my GI Bill. I should figure out which field best enables me to be a pain in the azz.
Military? Claim you have post traumatic stress disorder and draw a check. Works for my stepson and he never heard a shot fired in anger

Military? Claim you have post traumatic stress disorder and draw a check. Works for my stepson and he never heard a shot fired in anger
I am working on the VA side of things for purely medical purposes, but even with 100% VA disability (which I'm not seeking) you can work, so I'd still have to find a better way to be a pain in the azz :ROFLMAO:

My current lines of work are good to me, I can't complain, just have to do stuff. There's some job openings on the federal side north of me that relate to my military job field, maybe I should take up siphoning taxpayer dollars again.

Taught public high school and jr high for 30 + years . I have students that are now doctors, nurses , engineers, teachers , college professors, firemen, police officers and lots of good mommas and daddies . Got a few not so good and a few in jail and prison. I have often wondered what it would be like to have unlimited money šŸ’°? But I look back at my teaching and coaching career and realize just how rich I am for having a little part in their lives . I know I wasn't liked by all but I can sleep at night knowing I tried to be a positive in all their lives . God has blessed me with a wonderful wife , 3 great kids and 3 great spouses for them . 6 awesome grandchildren and one more on the way in June . Hey , I am rich beyond measure !! šŸ¤ 

Latest posts