Murrays projects 2021

Help Support CattleToday:

Big fan of Speckles. I have a little hot headed Park that we use as our mascot. We call her the "Ocelot" (long story) and she's currently bred with a bucking bull embryo so she's working out alright.

Big fan of Speckles. I have a little hot headed Park that we use as our mascot. We call her the "Ocelot" (long story) and she's currently bred with a bucking bull embryo so she's working out alright.
Last Saturday at the sale they had another one looked just like her only 3 times the size. I knew she would go cheap. I had to leave... lol. Been buying way too many projects.
Kinda miss lil speckles. The neighbors are sure enjoying the heck out of her and the lil black bottle calf. They have a young daughter that is really taking an interest!
I love that!

So I had to google ocelot...
Now I'm intrigued.
images.jpeg.jpg

Ocelot, my only reference is from "Archer" and that thing was a little devil named Baboo.😂😂 im going to try to go to sale next week, afraid what might happen.lol. but going to look at some bulls Sunday; we'll see how that goes w the checkbook.lol

Last Saturday at the sale they had another one looked just like her only 3 times the size. I knew she would go cheap. I had to leave... lol. Been buying way too many projects.
Kinda miss lil speckles. The neighbors are sure enjoying the heck out of her and the lil black bottle calf. They have a young daughter that is really taking an interest!
I love that!

So I had to google ocelot...
Now I'm intrigued.
View attachment 6822
Had a relative discover the headwaters of the Mississippi (Henry Rowe Schoolcraft) and there is a college named after him. My sister gets me shirts from there that have the last name on them and the ocelot is their mascot. I wore the shirt to work cows enough we had to have an ocelot mascot of our own. Enter this high spirited specimen.

So here's the new babies. Not gonna bottle these. Well, I may or may not try n bottle Speckles.
For now, they got feed, water n hay.
They are penned until the bawl is gone gone, then they'll go on my lil acre w Midnight the weaned bottle baby.
They all came to feed this morning.
View attachment 6284
Speckles is the gentlest. The dark blond is a kicking lil twat! Red runs around like an idiot til the feed is where it's supposed to be.
The new bottle baby did just fine this morning. Shes almost got it figured out.
View attachment 6286
I'll get a couple pics of the 2 new pairs this weekend. They are getting settled in.
Bags are a bit small (knew that when I bought em and took the chance for the money, bid accordingly... lol) Their Babies seem to be doing good tho.
I'm gonna get em some grain for a few weeks and see if that helps.
Here we go. Straight out the trailer and right to mowing the lawn...
View attachment 6290
As I was putting this up, the lil bwf decided to practice testing the hot wire! I tested the fence b4 I put em out there, but u appreciate her willingness to help....
First moo i got outta her. 🤠
Happy moo? I chuckled

@MurraysMutts I feel your pain over a bull. I tried everything I could to avoid buying a bull. I had hoped that the neighbor's BWF would come over. Turns out he is gay, or doesn't like black Angus females. My other neighbor had 3 bulls. Early spring he said that he would make me a deal. Such a deal. This bull is young, and was skinny coming off hay and the female's. Started to flesh out now. And likes the female's. I dunno. Going to be a LONG 9 months tho. And I owe the seller 2 favors. 🤦‍♂️😥Let some of the buyers at the sale barn know that you are looking, but on a budget. Someone may work with you.
Neighbor has nudged me a couple of times when a nice heavy cow would try to by cheap. Keep posting pics.

Attachments

• 20210807_091301.jpg
    20210807_091301.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
Dang I hate that for the baby calf. Just fooled with one baby calf two weeks as did good at first and then something happened and nothing seemed to help as I tried everything ( bag of first milk, scour pills, electrolytes, you name it) . I found it through the fence and no mama cow around and nothing claimed it. I thought I had it saved and then it took a turn for the worse.

Well, Red went out with the herd today. Shes a fat lil fart after feed and nice hay for awhile. Rumen is working! And long weaned now. Going to move Midnight, my weaned bottle heifer, in with Opal the Jersey.
Got a plan for the new bottle bull too.....
Stay tuned.
20210814_144041.jpg
O yeah...
Grass is drying up. Been hot a lil bit now. Rains been going south of us.

IfI have a calf acting like it is getting Pneumonia, breathing hard, panting after a little stress, etc. I hit them with Pennicillin, and Sustain III bolus 2 or 3, this was the old timers treatment I learned in the 60's. Now, I also add a shot of Draxxin. That keeps me from coming back. Draxxin by itself will work, but it takes 24-48 hours sometimes. That is just too much suffering to me. Penn works fast but doesn't last, Draxxin lasts. I have had some turn around in 12 hours..

Latest posts