Murrays projects 2021

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, Red went out with the herd today. Shes a fat lil fart after feed and nice hay for awhile. Rumen is working! And long weaned now. Going to move Midnight, my weaned bottle heifer, in with Opal the Jersey.
Got a plan for the new bottle bull too.....
Stay tuned.
View attachment 7197
O yeah...
Grass is drying up. Been hot a lil bit now. Rains been going south of us.
We've been lucky with enough rain to keep it green enough in these parts.
This is ole Charlotte grazing in 99 degrees heat while everyone else was in the shade.
0810211449a.jpg

Forgot to add, You ever eat your previous bottle babies?lol
The red one is looking good. The one i got is starting to grow but i don't know how big she'll actually get.

I've given thought to making big red our dinner!
She was definitely cheap enough and seems to be growing pretty good.
Gotta plan a bit, and see if I can get one of those pesky butcher dates some time next year....

She wants back in the pen btw. Well, she wants fed anyway...
She always so frantic. Dont want anything to do with a human. But sure like a feed trough!
20210815_070336.jpg

The 2 yearling mamas and 1 baby went out on pasture this morning. Melding right in with the herd.....
I'll keep my eye on Sugar and watch her condition closely. If I need to catch her and get her on feed, she will be easy to get caught.
I'm sure Snow will be fine now that she ain't raising a calf. 😥

Midnight, my last bottle calf, went out with Sugar n Snow on pasture.

So at the moment, Bessie and Dumb Butt are the feeding projects.
Opel the Jersey is still being weaned and fed too. Eats like a puerco!🐷🐽🐖
Only the finest fresh cut square bales and a mix of Honey grain (9% protein) and 14% creep.

Last edited:
Snow and Sugar came to see what I was up to this morning. Gosh they're small lil first calf heifers! Gave em a scoop. They seem to be doing ok on pasture. Sugar's lil steer hangs with the other dozen or so calves, but hes doing well! Near as big as some of the younger calves here.
Thats lil Midnight back there to the right a grazing
20210822_083917.jpg
This lil guy is kind of pathetic. Hes the one I got to put on Snow. Never have got him to take milk. Hes eating feed tho! And hay.
Hope the lil fart comes along
20210822_083632.jpg

Went ahead and put some hay out too.
Weve been pretty dry. Hoping this will make the grass stretch a bit.
Chance of rain Sunday and Monday. I better go wash all the vehicles and cross my fingers. Got 2 pair to haul Monday too. Maybe itll be good and muddy and I'll have to fight it!
A friend has grass, but hes feeding cubes already to supplement.
I dont like it!
The other place has plenty of grass still. Natural springs help a little. That, and being slightly under stocked helped too. We are now at max capacity!
20210828_184216.jpg

Went ahead and put some hay out too.
Weve been pretty dry. Hoping this will make the grass stretch a bit.
Chance of rain Sunday and Monday. I better go wash all the vehicles and cross my fingers. Got 2 pair to haul Monday too. Maybe itll be good and muddy and I'll have to fight it!
A friend has grass, but hes feeding cubes already to supplement.
I dont like it!
The other place has plenty of grass still. Natural springs help a little. That, and being slightly under stocked helped too. We are now at max capacity!
View attachment 7744
More fun projects!
I figured your part of the state got more rain than we do but this year has been odd. Last bout a rain over a week ago, delayed delivery of the new bull, we got a couple inches. Where got the bull bout hour south, they got 4 inches in one afternoon!😮 we still hav 2 bales out from spring. They havnt touched either since april i think.lol

More fun projects!
I figured your part of the state got more rain than we do but this year has been odd. Last bout a rain over a week ago, delayed delivery of the new bull, we got a couple inches. Where got the bull bout hour south, they got 4 inches in one afternoon!😮 we still hav 2 bales out from spring. They havnt touched either since april i think.lol
We have been pretty fortunate most of the year. The last few rains have just missed us tho!
Last one we got about 1/4 inch. Need it badly. That was gone the next morning.

Turned the 2 pair out today. They got the whole 9 yards at the vet.
I'll post some more pics after they eat all the grass and fatten up. Ol blue cow took off the other way. Big Sexy was right on top of that. I was laughing so hard I dropped my phone trying to get a picture!! Hes been a very un busy boy here lately. Calving starts in 2 weeks.
20210830_161213.jpg

I think they've gained 50 lbs aready.
Ol Big Sexy is staying right with those 2.
Dang 'ol Hereford breeding machine man aye tail u watt.....
20210831_192134.jpg
This lil guy is still eating feed well..
Looks like crap tho!
He had a lil respiratory, so we got a drop of antibiotics in him. Seems to be feeling better but he sure 'nuff looks like poop
20210831_185045.jpg

So Dumbo (the one the light bulb never came on, no milk) is still kicking along. We got his respiratory taken care of, but his dang eyes wont stop watering!!!
I was thinking pinkeye. Dr. Gave me resflor if i remember right for the respiratory. I was hoping that would kick the pinkeye too. Guess I'll give some la200 and see if that helps. Theres no lesions or spots in his eyes. Just constant watering, clear thicker watering.
I'll post some pics when I get his eyes cleared up.

Hes eating great!
Put him on a 16% calf starter and honey grain which is 9% but has lots of grain in it. Corn too.
Skinny lil fart. But eating well and has normal urination and poops. So I guess we will just keep on and hope for the best!

These 2 pair are rather unsociable so far. Aint melded with the herd yet.
Had to go on a walk about...
They are all doing well. Ain't seen the calves in quite a while. All is well in my little world now. Was getting a touch worried.
View attachment 8253
Cows look in great shape. Have one cow thats relatively a loner, raising a great calf, but will tear into another cow if they get near her cubes.😂 Ellie and Ellie Mae
0907211926_HDR.jpg

So Dumbo (the one the light bulb never came on, no milk) is still kicking along. We got his respiratory taken care of, but his dang eyes wont stop watering!!!
I was thinking pinkeye. Dr. Gave me resflor if i remember right for the respiratory. I was hoping that would kick the pinkeye too. Guess I'll give some la200 and see if that helps. Theres no lesions or spots in his eyes. Just constant watering, clear thicker watering.

Hes eating great!
Put him on a 16% calf starter and honey grain which is 9% but has lots of grain in it. Corn too.
Skinny lil fart. But eating well and has normal urination and poops. So I guess we will just keep on and hope for the best!
He may have allergies. I'm guessing you've already flushed his eyes, made sure there isn't cheat grass or something stuck? Glad he's finally eating well.

Great picture. Looks like a tv movie set. Like the white cows. But, doesn't look like she will take any sh*t from nobody.
Ellie ranks probably #3, only below Claudia and Mama Cow. This how i found her in back in march😂
Snapchat-1252510885.jpg
She is gentle as can be around people. This is my niece. My sister told her "you need to be careful." Niece's response, "she likes it."😂😂
Screenshots_2021-05-30-21-24-10.png

Hes eating great!
If he doesn't grow all that well, you can start a Miniature MurraysMutts😁😁

If he doesn't grow all that well, you can start a Miniature MurraysMutts😁😁
Sliders.....

I was gonna give him a shot today. But when I went to feed him this evening, his eyes appear to have cleared up finally!!

He eats great! Feed and hay.
Once hes straightened out good, I'll implant him and steer him!

Latest posts