Ranch Work

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred

Reaction score
I sent this link to CB because this ranch "High Card Ranch" is located where his grandson is probably going to attend college next year. Some good old style cattle working on it. What kind of cattle are these?? Looks like a combination of several.

https://vimeo.com/45840731

The time is coming where the public isnt gonna stand for the traditional ways like that. Pulling the calves, throwing them down and burning em, being displayed as a good time. Cattlemen may see it as ok, having been raised around it - But videos like that don't portray the business the way Sensitive Q Public wishes.

Looks like a highway department crew. Five of them working, Ten of them watching. I am all for tradition but I think I will stick with my squeeze chute.

Looked like a good day to me. I don't care what John q. Thinks.
I guarantee those cattle and men are of equal high quality. If not they wouldn't be there.
Reckon they probably did dress up a bit for the camera

How many businesses do you know of where you can say you don't care what the customer wants or thinks, and can put out videos that rubs them the wrong way?

Just saying, changes will be coming. Its already starting up here, where we're gonna have to administer pain meds to do normal activities like castration. Animal rights has been gaining ground for decades and isn't slowing down, no matter how much you say 'well this is the way its always been'.

Supa Dexta":3nre3jzj said:
How many businesses do you know of where you can say you don't care what the customer wants or thinks, and can put out videos that rubs them the wrong way?

Just saying, changes will be coming. Its already starting up here, where we're gonna have to administer pain meds to do normal activities like castration. Animal rights has been gaining ground for decades and isn't slowing down, no matter how much you say 'well this is the way its always been'.

Kinda like gun control some will give, some will fight the good fight.
It's there property, I think they can do as they please. Respectfully fenceman
How many business should the owner be able to run as he pleases..All of them... and let the customer decide.

Nice video. Even though I am from Ky, I have worked many calves by dragging them to the doctoring spot, as we call it. IMHO, as long as your talking about small calves 3-5 months old. As long as you get 2 feet, I think they are less likely to be injured, than they are in a chute. Many will probably disagree, and that's fine, because they may be right. It's been my experience that many get knocked, bumped , and stepped on in a tradition working pen. It's also 1000 times easier to castrate on the ground for me. If I ever get a calf table, I will probably change my opinion.

I also agree, that the day is probably here now for the industry to quit giving out sticks for the customer to beat us with. I did plenty of things today, that another farmer wouldn't give a second thought to. The average person pushing a shopping cart thru Kroger would have had a fit over. It's just perception, but we need to get mindful of how we are perceived.

Nice video. I hate to have to agree, but Supa Dexta is right. We can refuse to accept it, but times are changing, and sooner or later it is going to affect us all. My local Dept of Ag guys tell me that every year they get more and more complaints of abuse and neglect simply because some idiot drives by a pasture in winter and views a horse or a cow out in the cold, and reports it. They actually think that the animals are supposed to be kept in a heated barn. I've planted visual barriers along my front pasture now because I don't want the hassle, and I don't exactly have the tact or patience to gently try to explain the facts to some finger waving dingbat with an attitude who might dare to come up the drive and tell me how cruel I'm being to my animals.

Instead of cowering to the panseys why not take up the fight and fight for it. That's what is happeing to our society. The good guys think its not nice to disagree or make a scene about what we believe in. But the libs and tree hugger s have more guts to stand up for what they believe in.... How many thousands of people did it take to get prayer taken out of school ,?????? It only took 1 person. Quit bit chin about what's gonna be taken away or viewed wrong and stand up for what you believe in , its pathitic that the people that will be effected are too big of wussys to try and correct it.

There s a saying about give an inch they take a mile. Nuff said.

You see those men working those calves know what their doing. The people complaining about it don't. So common sense tells who need to be educated on the practice.

I like the video. Liked the cattle, the horses and the country

M-5":g512uuv8 said:
Instead of cowering to the panseys why not take up the fight and fight for it. That's what is happeing to our society. The good guys think its not nice to disagree or make a scene about what we believe in. But the libs and tree hugger s have more guts to stand up for what they believe in.... How many thousands of people did it take to get prayer taken out of school ,?????? It only took 1 person. Quit bit chin about what's gonna be taken away or viewed wrong and stand up for what you believe in , its pathitic that the people that will be effected are too big of wussys to try and correct it.

Lotta truth in that.

bird dog":1mq5kmof said:
Looks like a highway department crew. Five of them working, Ten of them watching. I am all for tradition but I think I will stick with my squeeze chute.
i doubt (just call it a hunch) these guys brand very big sets of cattle, but if they did, it takes a big ground crew to keep things rolling. a GOOD crew roping and going to the fire is just as fast as a good outfit running a chute and will absolutely smoke most operations I've seen running a chute if they tried to handle a volume like many of the big outfits do day in day out. we brand a little over 6,000 calves between our fall and spring calving operations (2 separate locations) annually and head and heel every one of them. ropers and ground crew rotate. 5 guys up, 10 guys down. we do around 250 calves each day (brand 2-3x per week to allow for other things to get done and country to get gathered) and outside of very rare breakdowns, have cattle gathered to the pens and rolling by 8 and have them all done in time to have lunch well before 1. some of the guys on the ground at times don't look like they are doing a whole lot as it is well orchestrated, allowing time to fill syringes, mix meds, sharpen knives etc. say 5 younger guys knocking calves down and switching ropes to front feet, a guy branding, a guy giving shots, 2 guys cutting and earmarking and one guy running the eartagger, dehorner if needed and wound spray. the 5 ropers, two sets have a calf each stretched out at the fire and the 5th man has a calf headed and ready for when the first pair is done and lets their calf up. now, the glaring problem in most settings i recognize is labor, we are not the norm in that we have a 6 man cowboy crew full-time and hire the balance to work steady for the "works".if a young guy wants to work a season, they'd better be truly handy when they show up, not "rope at a jackpot one friday night a month and showed a 4H steer" handy or they will work exactly one day. we are blessed to operate in areas with very strong ranching roots and it seems that guys who are pretty capable are always in supply with a few phone calls. i know full well that is not the case in many locales. to be fair though, we brand a few more calves than a lot of places around and when i go to a neighbors branding and they brand 60 calves or whatever it may be, the crew could be much smaller but it often isn't, and it looks a lot like the video. i think in that setting while they are achieving a task that needs to be done, it is not another day grinding it out like it is for us but frankly a big part of why they got some cows to start with. they enjoy getting to host their neighbors and friends and being proud of their program but not having enough cattle to brand multiple times each year invite more than necessary to their one branding so to not leave good neighbors/friends feeling slighted, show their homegrown calves off to all their friends, put on a big bbq, etc., etc. nonetheless, labor or lack thereof is the best argument for the chute when branding calves and i can't disagree with it, if you need to brand 20 calves, getting 1 guy and running through a chute I'm sure is less of a production then running down 4-5 guys and stretching them all out.

js1234":3k2x7tkd said:
bird dog":3k2x7tkd said:
i doubt (just call it a hunch) these guys brand very big sets of cattle, but if they did, it takes a big ground crew to keep things rolling. a GOOD crew roping and going to the fire is just as fast as a good outfit running a chute and will absolutely smoke most operations I've seen running a chute if they tried to handle a volume like many of the big outfits do day in day out. we brand a little over 6,000 calves between our fall and spring calving operations (2 separate locations) annually and head and heel every one of them. ropers and ground crew rotate. 5 guys up, 10 guys down. we do around 250 calves each day (brand 2-3x per week to allow for other things to get done and country to get gathered) and outside of very rare breakdowns, have cattle gathered to the pens and rolling by 8 and have them all done in time to have lunch well before 1. some of the guys on the ground at times don't look like they are doing a whole lot as it is well orchestrated, allowing time to fill syringes, mix meds, sharpen knives etc. say 5 younger guys knocking calves down and switching ropes to front feet, a guy branding, a guy giving shots, 2 guys cutting and earmarking and one guy running the eartagger, dehorner if needed and wound spray. the 5 ropers, two sets have a calf each stretched out at the fire and the 5th man has a calf headed and ready for when the first pair is done and lets their calf up. now, the glaring problem in most settings i recognize is labor, we are not the norm in that we have a 6 man cowboy crew full-time and hire the balance to work steady for the "works".if a young guy wants to work a season, they'd better be truly handy when they show up, not "rope at a jackpot one friday night a month and showed a 4H steer" handy or they will work exactly one day. we are blessed to operate in areas with very strong ranching roots and it seems that guys who are pretty capable are always in supply with a few phone calls. i know full well that is not the case in many locales. to be fair though, we brand a few more calves than a lot of places around and when i go to a neighbors branding and they brand 60 calves or whatever it may be, the crew could be much smaller but it often isn't, and it looks a lot like the video. i think in that setting while they are achieving a task that needs to be done, it is not another day grinding it out like it is for us but frankly a big part of why they got some cows to start with. they enjoy getting to host their neighbors and friends and being proud of their program but not having enough cattle to brand multiple times each year invite more than necessary to their one branding so to not leave good neighbors/friends feeling slighted, show their homegrown calves off to all their friends, put on a big bbq, etc., etc. nonetheless, labor or lack thereof is the best argument for the chute when branding calves and i can't disagree with it, if you need to brand 20 calves, getting 1 guy and running through a chute I'm sure is less of a production then running down 4-5 guys and stretching them all out.
Well said plys it gas been proven if done correctly roping and dragging calves to the fire is LOW STRESS if done properly
But a few idiots that don't know what they are talking about have to run their mouths

I've personally never worked cattle in this manner but love to watch a group of folks do it that know what they're doing. This is not a huge operation. I believe I was told that it was around 1000 acres and in that part of the state that won't run a lot of cattle. Anybody have any ideas about the breed of cattle?? Looked like some of that stuff from south of the border to me. I wouldn't want to get pitched into a cattle trailer with one. :lol: :lol:

TexasBred":g16o3mwp said:
I've personally never worked cattle in this manner but love to watch a group of folks do it that know what they're doing. This is not a huge operation. I believe I was told that it was around 1000 acres and in that part of the state that won't run a lot of cattle. Anybody have any ideas about the breed of cattle?? Looked like some of that stuff from south of the border to me. I wouldn't want to get pitched into a cattle trailer with one. :lol: :lol:

looked reminiscent of old style cracker cattle to me with some longhorn thrown in

Latest posts