Shipped calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Calves left today headed for greener pastures. Well actually to the sale barn. What kind of pastures they end up in isn't my concern. There is still a dozen little and/or sick calves in the corral which wouldn't sell well but 92 left. We ganged up on then. Two guys horseback, 3 on quads, and 6 cow dogs. They had no choice but go to the corral. No animals or people were injured in this process. Well maybe a couple of people's feelings got hurt. But you have to expect that when cowboys are dealing with cows. Tomorrow will will sort through about 300. One pot load and three gooseneck loads go to town. I know that the late cut bull calves stay and I am not sure what else. Then on Wednesday B's son's calves go. I am not sure what or how many he has. The sale is on Wednesday.
PB142733.JPGPB142734.JPG

Nice pic. Is there hot wire protecting the white vinyl fence? Mine would rub on it and destroy one in a few hours.
Yes there is a hot wire on the inside of that fence. That fence was here when we bought the place. The wife loves it. Me ... not so much. I sure wouldn't pay the cost to have one of those installed.

Yes there is a hot wire on the inside of that fence. That fence was here when we bought the place. The wife loves it. Me ... not so much. I sure wouldn't pay the cost to have one of those installed.

Fence looks nice. We have some jumpers, they may not make it with the hot wire but I'm sure they would try.

Wife took those pictures off the front porch. I usually make a effort to not have that %#@!&* fence in any of the pictures.
I think it looks pretty swanky. I was going to use barky poles for our yard fence, but had to go with peeled poles for twice the price.

Between the semi and three goose neck trailers we hauled 290 to town Monday and Tuesday. The boss called and I got out of hauling any today. They found an available truck. So 2 pots to do the job. I am still going into the sale but I am going in empty today. Trailer pulls so much easier empty than it does with 20 500+ pound calves in it.

Sale went well. I got $1.87 and $1.61 on steers weighing 400 and 500. Heifers the same size got $1.65 and $1.36. These are calves out of the old broken mouth cows I bought last winter. The cows killed for more than they cost putting about $100 against the feed bill. I haven't calculated the exact feed bill yet but it is about $300 a head. So about $200 against each calf. Looking like black ink when I figure the real numbers sometime this next week.
The boss's calves sold real. These various mixed breed calves sold right at the top of the market. I don't know who rang the bell but these calves had to be mighty close. More char cross calves than anything else. I didn't write things down. But his little steers at 400 pounds brought $2.04. Going up by weight class they were above $1.50 until they reached 700+ pounds. I don't remember the price per pound but the reader board shows the $ per calf and they all brought over $1,000. Heifers were 10-15 cents back.

Latest posts