Why wean calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

There are a ton of factors that will influence whether it is a good idea or not. Price of feed, labor, weather, your market, cost of pasture, infrastructure, scale... are just a few. Every operation has to run their own numbers to know if it will generate a profit for them. Even then, not every one will agree the juice is worth the squeeze because every one will have a different number for "worth it".

I know it's cool to talk these gross numbers on the enet or down at the coffee shop but it doesn't cut the mustard if you ever have to be accountable to any one other than yourself.

I'm not very good at math so I need some help with this. Going by the sales sheet above break down how selling a 550# steer calf straight off the tit pays more than selling a 825# steer calf that has been weaned and fed. I know it won't change anyone's mind but it would help me understand this cow/calf deal better....maybe idk
I don;t see it, Lucky. I see a 557 lb steer at $1.80, but it was weaned. There is a 827 lb steer @ $1.50. The smaller one brought $1002, and the heavier one brought $1240.

There are a ton of factors that will influence whether it is a good idea or not. Price of feed, labor, weather, your market, cost of pasture, infrastructure, scale... are just a few. Every operation has to run their own numbers to know if it will generate a profit for them. Even then, not every one will agree the juice is worth the squeeze because every one will have a different number for "worth it".

I know it's cool to talk these gross numbers on the enet or down at the coffee shop but it doesn't cut the mustard if you ever have to be accountable to any one other than yourself.
To get back to the original topic, and referencing the above sale report. Assuming the 811lb steers and the 557 lb steers are comparable in quality, they represent a Value of Gain of $1.27/lb. Can you put 250 pounds on a calf for $1.27/lb? To compare, the 320 lb calves would take $1.26/lb to get to 557lb. Which would be easier?

I ask for math Brute not a definition. Here's a little cowboy math for you though.

550# x $1.60= $880 Unweaned
825# x $1.50= $1,237.50 Weaned
$1,237.50 - $880 = $357.50
Inputs = $150 in feed and Vaccinations (bulk feed is .151 a pound this year) much higher than normal. We'll feed an avg of 900#'s a HD over 120 days.
$357.50 - $150= $207.50
$207.50 x 60 HD = $12,450

I rounded the numbers from the sheet to make it easier and picked 60 hd because that's how many 825# steers fit on a truck, they'll go 70 if you ask though. We can talk about labor ... It takes me maybe 15 minutes a day to feed the yearlings and I have to be there to feed Cows anyway. I'll take the extra $12k per truck load all day long. I actually enjoy the yearlings more than the Cows, and they're way less trouble. If you don't want to mess with weaning calves that's one thing but saying it won't make money just isn't true. I'd love to see yalls actual numbers.

Last edited:
I don;t see it, Lucky. I see a 557 lb steer at $1.80, but it was weaned. There is a 827 lb steer @ $1.50. The smaller one brought $1002, and the heavier one brought $1240.
Yes the 557# steer was Weaned and was the highest selling 5 weight. I didn't add the sheet up and avg them out but the $1.60 mark is what stood out to me looking at unweaned calves. The biggest problem I had selling unweaned or short Weaned calves was the $ per hd difference they brought. 1 would bring $1.80 and the other $1.35. Long time weaning ads consistency in the calves and the price they bring. At least this has been my observation.

Last edited:
I never said it won't make money.... I said it won't make money for every one... or won't be worth it for every one.

Where is your risk? Loss? Labor? Infrastructure? Your pulling numbers from a sale report on the same day. Pull it from time you weaned to time you sold post weaned. Do you operate on some one else's money so you have interest against that money?

Neighbor had like 8 cows die under a tree from lightning. What if that was in your weaning pen?

You are right... that is cowboy math... it leaves A LOT out. I'm not trying to talk any one out of it but it needs to be looked at realistically. If it was as easy as your math we would all be doing it.

Yall can talk numbers all day long but if you don't include all of them it's a waste. Know what numbers you need before before you start running them.

Last edited:
To get back to the original topic, and referencing the above sale report. Assuming the 811lb steers and the 557 lb steers are comparable in quality, they represent a Value of Gain of $1.27/lb. Can you put 250 pounds on a calf for $1.27/lb? To compare, the 320 lb calves would take $1.26/lb to get to 557lb. Which would be easier?
In my area the avg gain is 1.3# a day over a 210 day period. We feed for 120 days then turn them in on pastures to graze that we have just moved the Cows off of. I'm guessing I gain around 275# at $150, so .54 cents a pound. I haven't had any luck going from 320 to 550 so can't speak to that. I just didn't have any luck with early Weaned calves.

I never said it won't make money.... I said it won't make money for every one... or won't be worth it for every one.

Where is your risk? Loss? Labor? Infrastructure? Your pulling numbers from a sale report on the same day. Pull it from time you weaned to time you sold post weaned. Do you operate on some one else's money so you have interest against that money?

Neighbor had like 8 cows die under a tree from lightning. What if that was in your weaning pen?

You are right... that is cowboy math... it leaves A LOT out. I'm not trying to talk any one out of it but it needs to be looked at realistically. If it was as easy as your math we would all be doing it.

Yall can talk numbers all day long but if you don't include all of them it's a waste. Know what numbers you need before before you start running them.
By that logic we shouldn't even own Cattle. There is infrastructure cost involved but the cost of it goes down every year you make the extra money from weaning. In fact most everything you buy holds it's value or goes up in value every year. 3 years ago I paid $10k for a 30 ton feed bin. It has saved me around $12k in feed cost alone not to mention the fuel and labor involved in using sacks. I'd guess I could sell it for $12,000 today. You are right though not everyone should wean calves. We can at least agree on that. My figures are cowboy math and things definitely don't pan out every year but 8 out of 10 will be better.

I can't figure how people have sickness issues keeping their own calves. I haven't had issues yet buying other people's calves. I'm sure I will have a wreck one of these years, but it seems the normal is to not have sickness issues when buying local calves. Loss is just an expense that should be budgeted for.

Risk? What kind of risk? I take a risk when I walk down the stairs in the morning. Loss? Over the last 20 years I have weaned well over 2,000 calves. I can count the death loss on the fingers on one hand and have couple fingers left. Labor? Lucky answered that it took him 15 minutes a day. Mine doesn't average much more. Maybe 20 minutes. Infrastructure? A corral that I need to process and load cattle in an out from which sits empty the vast majority of the year. Fence around a field which was probably built by Noah or one of his sons. I went back and looked up prices on the day I weaned compared to the price I sold for. I gained 3 cents comparing top price the day I weaned to what I got. Unweaned calves wouldn't have received that top price. No interest due on these calves.

Here if nothing is announced the buyers will flat out ask if they are weaned and for how long. Also vaccinations. If the auctioneer has no information the price drops. I know that vaccinated calves will most likely get vaccinated again with their program. But they know that those who have previously given shots are less likely to get sick. So they pay more for them. I know when I buy I do both. Pay more for weaned vaccinated calves and give then my own vaccinations.

Dave, good post. Did you pay enough extra to make it profitable for those producers to wean and vaccinate and feed and absorb the weight loss at weaning?

Dave, good post. Did you pay enough extra to make it profitable for those producers to wean and vaccinate and feed and absorb the weight loss at weaning?
I have in the past. Not so much this year but I haven't exactly been buying #1's. Here they will run in 10, 20, 30 calves at a time. Often the buyer will ask to cut one or two out. I have bought cut outs. A lot of them have been weaned and vaccinated but I have been buying the cut outs for 30 cents under the market. So far only had to doctor one and that was for an eye.

I have never noticed the degree weight loss that people talk about here. There are a lot of variables that contribute how much weight loss they will experience.

This is why our industry has so many problems. It's time to stop doing math like a cowboy and start doing real math like the businesses getting rich off our product.
I wrote a pretty big reply but deleted it. Have a good evening cowboy....

I have in the past. Not so much this year but I haven't exactly been buying #1's. Here they will run in 10, 20, 30 calves at a time. Often the buyer will ask to cut one or two out. I have bought cut outs. A lot of them have been weaned and vaccinated but I have been buying the cut outs for 30 cents under the market. So far only had to doctor one and that was for an eye.

I have never noticed the degree weight loss that people talk about here. There are a lot of variables that contribute how much weight loss they will experience.
Couple of good post Dave. Buying cutouts is a good strategy.

I also agree on Dave's comment about weaning weight loss. I know it is "expected", but I don't see it with my calves. Low stress weaning (fenceline weaning) - healthy, already completely vaccinated BEFORE weaning = minimum weight loss. Part of "low stress" is not running them thru the chute at weaning - so, no, I don't have a start wt - but, I can see when my calves are stressed/losing wt. I have weights from 60 days before weaning and calculate ADG.

Latest posts