Spot Spraying with Round up ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Have had some Round up drift issues occasionally. Now have some windbreak seedling I am trying to assist.

Wonder if you could cover a small seedling with a over turned pail, and then spray around it safely? Or is there a better way?

That seems like it would work fine since there's no soil activity or anything. My understanding is that if you can keep it from landing on the leaves you should be good to go.

jschoolcraft86 said:
That seems like it would work fine since there's no soil activity or anything. My understanding is that if you can keep it from landing on the leaves you should be good to go.

That is my understanding as well. I have been under the impression that it becomes basically inert once it hits the ground?

I spoke to a Horticulturist about this very issue. I had also been told that it became"inert" once it hit the soil. He told me that it did not become inert, but that it a systemic chemical that must be absorbed through the leaves. It has no impact on roots because it basically blocks the photosynthesis in the leaves. That is the simplistic answer he gave me. Putting a pail over them should be fine.

I spray roundup strips throughout my pecan orchard without fear. If there are leaves or other low growth, especially on new trees, I cover it with some foil or something else along those lines. The trees are always fine unless I catch some of those low leaves (and even that doesn't kill the tree generally unless it is a seedling, but it will burn up those leaves pretty badly).

Stocker Steve said:
Have had some Round up drift issues occasionally. Now have some windbreak seedling I am trying to assist.

Wonder if you could cover a small seedling with a over turned pail, and then spray around it safely? Or is there a better way?

That's exactly how I hoe my garden.

It can enter the tree through the roots but unlikely in your situation. A mix i use now that i have found my best concoction yet is basta, pulse and chateau mixed together. You would have to look up active ingredients for similar chemicals in you area but this mix pretty much kills everything except trees and if you have 30ml of water a day to two weeks after wont have weeds for six months. We used roundup in our orchard for 40 years but we did notice after a number of years it stunted the trees and reduced fruit size. Especially in stone fruit.

Basta=active ingredient glufosinate. Sold in North America as Rely, Finale, Challenge and Liberty.
Pulse=a non-ionic surfactant/wetter and penetrate.
Chateau=active ingredient flumioxazin. Sold in North America under names Sureguard, Broadstar, Tuscany, Clipper, Panther etc.

I'm currently working for Michigan state university in a research center (mostly orchard) and all the rows are sprayed with roundup the trees have a mouse guard to prevent them from getting sprayed (the small ones anyways)

ez14. said:
I'm currently working for Michigan state university in a research center (mostly orchard) and all the rows are sprayed with roundup the trees have a mouse guard to prevent them from getting sprayed (the small ones anyways)

When i was a kid dad used to use a tractor with boom to spray a weed strip on the young fruit trees and my brother and i would walk along (in shorts and bare feet) with a piece of plastic each we would hold against each tree as he past it. Later we would buy unassembled cardboard milk cartons and slip them on each tree when planting. A whole box would cost next to nothing, just a few cents each.

One year I sprayed I swear it started out all good...next thing i know I'm bring rushed. I can't stand being rushed. I just spray it ALL!! I'm talking good shrubs, flowers, I said f it all spray everything. 🤣😂😡🤬🤷🏽‍♀️ Don't rush a women is all I can say about that. 👍🏽🤡

Can it really drift to the point of killing a tree ? The farm I lease I always spray the fence rows once a year with round. I use a spot sprayer on my atv. This year after I done it about two weeks later a tree about 30 feet away from the fence was dead. Tree I think was a plume tree around 12 ft tall. The owners think the round up killed it but I don't think so there where other trees on both sides of that one that is fine.

pricefarm said:
Can it really drift to the point of killing a tree ? The farm I lease I always spray the fence rows once a year with round. I use a spot sprayer on my atv. This year after I done it about two weeks later a tree about 30 feet away from the fence was dead. Tree I think was a plume tree around 12 ft tall. The owners think the round up killed it but I don't think so there where other trees on both sides of that one that is fine.
Most trees have a high tolerance to glyphosate, but plum trees do not have a high tolerance to glyphosate.

DSC02265.jpg

This is what you can do spot spraying with glyphosate by using a back pack sprayer and keeping the spray nozzle inches from the ground. You cannot get that kind of precision from the seat of a 4 wheeler.

ga.prime said:
pricefarm said:
Most trees have a high tolerance to glyphosate, but plum trees do not have a high tolerance to glyphosate.

They don't tolerate deer well either.
I planted 50 Chickasaw plums, they ate 49 to the ground.

Caustic Burno said:
ga.prime said:
pricefarm said:

They don't tolerate deer well either.
I planted 50 Chickasaw plums, they ate 49 to the ground.
True that..it seems like they eat anything you plant. Chickasaw can also be easily killed with glyphosate.

Back when I gardened I'd use roundup to control grass around trellises built for tomatoes with no ill effect... roundup didn't kill the trees unless you soaked every leaf on the tree. :2cents:

For what it's worth...I also use it at the base of all the tree in the yard i mow around....elm, oak, pecan, pear, peach, and yes... plum. No problem.

Vette, it's a problem if you haul off with a atv broadcast spraying or spot spraying roundup into the air and there's a plum tree nearby.

ga.prime said:
Vette, it's a problem if you haul off with a atv broadcast spraying or spot spraying roundup into the air and there's a plum tree nearby.

Forgot to mention Hackberry and Sweetgum. Maybe I don't use enough....I've never put more than an ounce or so to a gallon of water....

Now I gave left some spots in the yard by walking through some sprayed areas to soon after spraying adjacent areas. :secret:

1982vett said:
ga.prime said:

Forgot to mention Hackberry and Sweetgum. Maybe I don't use enough....I've never put more than an ounce or so to a gallon of water....

Now I gave left some spots in the yard by walking through some sprayed areas to soon after spraying adjacent areas. :secret:
You're really going away from home here.. the question was whether you can kill a plum tree 30 ft away by spot spraying roundup on a fence row from an atv and the answer is yes and it's because of drift and the fact that plum trees have little tolerance to roundup. The question wasn't if you could spray a minuscule amount at the base of a sweetgum or hackberry with no Ill effects - you could do the same to a plum tree with no ill effects- you cannot however with no ill effects in regards to plums in close proximity spray it up into the air as you would while spot spraying a fence row from an atv because you will get drift and there is high likelihood the drift will get on the plums and kill or severely damage them.

Latest posts