What to do with giant zucchinis

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasJerseyMilker

Reaction score
It happens to everyone, those zucchinis that get away from us. The ones that hide in the grass or under thick foliage. The ones you think I'll leave that one and pick it tomorrow. Overnight it grows to the size of a baseball bat or a caveman's club. What to do? Its food and you dont want to waste it. Even the cows won't eat it.
You can put them on a table out by the road with a sign that says Help Yourself or just HELP.

I found a great recipe. It disguises a giant zucchini as a delicious apple crisp. After husband has had some for desert and asks for more drop this bomb.
"You know that giant zucchini that was on the counter? That's it."

Recipe
Combine in a large pot
8 Cups zucchini peeled, deseeded, sliced in 1/4th" thick slices.

(Eight cups equals about 1 giant zucchini.
It is very important to scoop out all the seeds.
Chop the 1/4" thick zucchini slices into apple sized slices)

1 C brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
3/4 C water
1/4th C lemon juice
Bring to a boil, reduce heat a bit and boil for 15 minutes
Preheat oven to 375F. While it boils make the topping

For the topping mix and blend
1 C butter, softened
1 C oatmeal
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 C brown sugar
1 and 1/2 C flour

When the zucchini mix is done boiling put the whole thing into a greased 11'x13" baking pan. Don't worry about the extra fluid, it will resorb.
Put on the topping mixture and distribute with fingers. Bake uncovered for 55 to 60 minutes. The edges will brown when ready. Top servings with vanilla ice cream .

Last edited:
It happens to everyone, those zucchinis that get away from us. The ones that hide in the grass or under thick leaves. The ones you think I'll leave that one and pick it tomorrow. Overnight it grows to the size of a baseball bat or a caveman's club. What to do? Its food and you dont want to waste it. Even the cows won't eat it.
You can put them on a table out by the road with a sign that says Help Yourself or just HELP.

I found a great recipe. It disguises a giant zucchini as a delicious apple crisp. After husband has had some for desert and asks for more drop this bomb.

Recipe
Combine in a large pot
This amount equals about 1 giant zucchini.
Cut the 1/4" thick zucchini slices into apple sized slices
1 C brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
3/4 C water
1/4th C lemon juice

1 C butter, softened
1 C oatmeal
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 C brown sugar
1 and 1/2 C flour

When the zucchini mix is done boiling put the whole thing into a greased 11'x13" baking pan. Don't worry about the extra fluid, it will resorb.
Put on the topping mixture and distribute with fingers. Bake uncovered for 55 to 60 minutes. The edges will brown when ready. Top servings with vanilla ice cream .
Thanks for the recipe. I'll try it!

Thanks for sharing that recipe! We have always hollowed out the seeds and then cooked up some sausage and mixed it with pasta sauce and bread crumbs. Fill the zucchini "boat" with that mixture and top with Parmesan cheese and bake! Very good. Also you can chop them up and add to your dogs food! And of course chickens - ours get a lot.

Zucchini Bread.....

food processor in 2cup batches (what recipe calls for), put in qt. ziplocks and freeze. They lay nice and flat in the freezer when stacked.

Thanks Ken, I was about to look it up. :giggle:
I just found out that in Australia, a bight is the bend or concave curvature of a coastline.
I had always thought it meant only a loop of line or rope.
So, from now on, instead of calling the coastal area down south near Corpus Christi the Texas Coastal Bend, I'll refer to it as the Great Texas Bight and confuse the crap out of people.

It happens to everyone, those zucchinis that get away from us. The ones that hide in the grass or under thick foliage. The ones you think I'll leave that one and pick it tomorrow. Overnight it grows to the size of a baseball bat or a caveman's club. What to do? Its food and you dont want to waste it. Even the cows won't eat it.

Recipe
Combine in a large pot

(Eight cups equals about 1 giant zucchini.
Chop the 1/4" thick zucchini slices into apple sized slices)

1 C brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
3/4 C water
1/4th C lemon juice

1 C butter, softened
1 C oatmeal
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 C brown sugar
1 and 1/2 C flour

Sounds good...

Now, tell me your secret for getting rid of the squash bugs before they kill the zucchini plants.

I go out every morning and kinkily fertilize the squash flowers because the bees are not interested. I pinch off a male flower, peel the petals back and rub the pollen on a female flower. Any squash bugs in the flowers are squashed. Also, any gigantic Oregon banana slugs are thrown over the top of the well house roof.
031.JPG
Giant slugs do not show much interest in giant zucchinis, they go after the lettuce.

I go out every morning and kinkily fertilize the squash flowers because the bees are not interested. I pinch off a male flower, peel the petals back and rub the pollen on a female flower. Any squash bugs in the flowers are squashed.
Are these the bugs you're talking about? I've never seen them inside a blossom.

squash bug adult

Fig. 1. Squash bug adult
squash bug nymphs
Fig. 2. Squash bug nymphs
squash bug eggs

I just found out that in Australia, a bight is the bend or concave curvature of a coastline.
I had always thought it meant only a loop of line or rope.
So, from now on, instead of calling the coastal area down south near Corpus Christi the Texas Coastal Bend, I'll refer to it as the Great Texas Bight and confuse the crap out of people.
Yeh, way back someone took a big bite out of southern Australia hence The Great Australian Bight.

Ken

I use a carrot stick peeler and make pasta noodles. You dont even have to cook it. Just peel with stick maker and pour hot pasta sauce on it. You cant even tell they arent real noodles..

I use a carrot stick peeler and make pasta noodles. You dont even have to cook it. Just peel with stick maker and pour hot pasta sauce on it. You cant even tell they arent real noodles..
Ahh….yeah you can…. Not necessarily a bad meal, but let's get real…it's not pasta or noodles.

Latest posts