Three weights

Help Support CattleToday:

rnh2

Reaction score
Anyone have any$ucce$$ grazing light calves in spring and selling in late summer? Like a five to six month graze and a 250 pound gain? I know it would have to be on excellent grass

Others here will differ but I don't like 3 weights. Too young and light to get good growth. And here they are often dinks that won't grow well. And buying in the spring when everyone wants calves can be expensive. A lot of the profit in this type operation is in the original purchase price. And you need good purchase price but you can't skimp on quality. That can be difficult. Last year I bought 450 pound heifers in the fall. We contracted them for an early August delivery weighing 850. They made weight so they gained 400 pounds and the contract was only 4 cents less than the original price per pound. When the market is right for that I would do it every year.

Anyone have any$ucce$$ grazing light calves in spring and selling in late summer? Like a five to six month graze and a 250 pound gain? I know it would have to be on excellent grass
Its all in the buying. A 3wt with some age and frame to grow could do ok. A fat 3wt may look great but not do well on just grass.
I do some each year but I buy the tough calves before grass gets started.

Latest posts