What to do with feed "Fines"?

Help Support CattleToday:

RustyTub

Reaction score
Have been finishing a couple of steers each year for the past couple of years. Regardless of where I source a finisher mix there's always the fine particles that cattle just won't eat. If I leave it for the day and don't top off they'll hit it a little. Ultimately I there's still quite a bit that they won't eat.

Is this standard practice and just get over it? Or are there some ways to get them to eat it all?

I take it you are purchasing bagged feed? If that's the case, you could purchase feed with molasses in it - or you could buy molasses and mix it into their ration. But, once they get fed SWEET feed, it is difficult to ever convert them to non-sweet feed.

My husband was a feed nutritionist. I finish out a few steers every year. We also show cattle. I use WHOLE SHELL CORN as the basis of anything that gets feed.
To finish a steer, he needs CARBS with enough protein for his age/weight. A weaned calf should need about 14% protein ration - no higher. I use a protein pellet (32%) and add it to the 9% protein corn. As the steer grows, he needs less protein, so you just keep increasing the #'s of corn and keep the protein pellets the same amount.
WSC is 8% less efficient than processed corn, but in most cases, you can get it cheaper than the 8%. Yes, you will SEE corn in their manure - don't worry, it's also in the manure of cattle eating cracked corn, you just need a microscope to see it.

I take it you are purchasing bagged feed? If that's the case, you could purchase feed with molasses in it - or you could buy molasses and mix it into their ration. But, once they get fed SWEET feed, it is difficult to ever convert them to non-sweet feed.

My husband was a feed nutritionist. I finish out a few steers every year. We also show cattle. I use WHOLE SHELL CORN as the basis of anything that gets feed.
To finish a steer, he needs CARBS with enough protein for his age/weight. A weaned calf should need about 14% protein ration - no higher. I use a protein pellet (32%) and add it to the 9% protein corn. As the steer grows, he needs less protein, so you just keep increasing the #'s of corn and keep the protein pellets the same amount.
WSC is 8% less efficient than processed corn, but in most cases, you can get it cheaper than the 8%. Yes, you will SEE corn in their manure - don't worry, it's also in the manure of cattle eating cracked corn, you just need a microscope to see it.
I'm buying a 14% ration in bulk. A few years ago the percentage molasses was much higher and fines were not as bad. The dealer closest to me has a 3 ton minimum for custom blend. I'm buying a ton at a time simply for storage reasons or I'd have them increase the molasses content.

I don't let the fines go to waste. What the steers don't eat I supplement to the other cows and chickens.

Thanks for your info.