Would you rather be a ......

Help Support CattleToday:

I get to meet a lot of those wealthy folks. They all put their socks on, one at a time, just like the rest of us.

There are outliers, but most of the difference is about our desire and the coupled energy that desire requires.

Happy is the man who wants what he has.
Shoot, I'm just trying to get old before I die, brother.

Tho being a multimillionaire brings it's own problems and I've known a few over the years, I'm just going to say that I am absolutely fed up and tired of being the one that knows stuff, that can look at something and knows 'how it works', knows how to fix it because he knows why it works that way. I been 'that guy' my whole life (soon to be 73) and I'm really tired of it.
A lot has to do more with the generation that raised us IMO.
Those depression era survivors had to be able to fix almost anything and you didn't waste money. Being affluent and the abilities to repair and maintain your equipment and place aren't exclusive from each other.
My neighbor is a multimillionaire and one of the hardest working people I know.

A lot has to do more with the generation that raised us IMO.
Those depression era survivors had to be able to fix almost anything and you didn't waste money. Being affluent and the abilities to repair and maintain your equipment and place aren't exclusive from each other.
My neighbor is a multimillionaire and one of the hardest working people I know.
I'm so young your junior that it's unreal but I was raised that way. We did everything for ourselves and I still do so now. We never paid anyone to fix a tractor, a pipe, a roof, a fence, a truck, a nothing. And if we did, they were help and we were in there too. But, the man that raised me would be about your age if he were here so I guess that nails it down. The only person who helps me work on vehicles and equipment is my wife because she has tiny hands and I have freaking big ones, she's handy as a shirt pocket.

I've been in construction since I was 5 when my Dad started a painting and drywall business. You were expected to fix the paint pump, replace the filters on the drywall spray rig. You never left without exhausting all your resources. Last month we had a 45 yd concrete slab, Honda dealership shop floor had to be nice and flat. Both my power trowels start first pull (Honda), gave the first one a pull and the rope broke . The guys freaked thinking we were going to have to hand trowel it and we were behind for that. I pulled the rope assembly off and rewound it with my boot lace and it started first pull. The fellas were so thrilled I was sent home and it's my company. 🤣🤣
What would MacGyver do??

I've been in construction since I was 5 when my Dad started a painting and drywall business. You were expected to fix the paint pump, replace the filters on the drywall spray rig. You never left without exhausting all your resources. Last month we had a 45 yd concrete slab, Honda dealership shop floor had to be nice and flat. Both my power trowels start first pull (Honda), gave the first one a pull and the rope broke . The guys freaked thinking we were going to have to hand trowel it and we were behind for that. I pulled the rope assembly off and rewound it with my boot lace and it started first pull. The fellas were so thrilled I was sent home and it's my company. 🤣🤣
What would MacGyver do??
You remind me of a lot of the men in my upbringing and the man that raised me, and dare I be cocky, me. Always fun to be the one to pull an innovation out of your azz. People always call me lucky, the truth is that I have zero luck if not less, I just refuse to be whooped until I'm soundly whooped. If I had the luck people say I have, I wouldn't have to figure so much sh** out.

I get to meet a lot of those wealthy folks. They all put their socks on, one at a time, just like the rest of us.

There are outliers, but most of the difference is about our desire and the coupled energy that desire requires.

Happy is the man who wants what he has.
Very true, that describes how I feel with my lot.

Ken

………….The only person who helps me work on vehicles and equipment is my wife because she has tiny hands and I have freaking big ones, she's handy as a shirt pocket.
I had started dating this gal in the mid-'90s. I drove up to her house and seen two legs sticking out from underneath a pickup truck, bare feet on one end and cut-off shorts on the other. She was changing her header gaskets. I married her.

Last edited:
I don't know how to fix "everything" but I know a lot more than some folks I know.
I'll take the knowledge over the money any day.
If the money shows up someday that'd be nice but I can survive without it.

It seems to that people who move up in the business world aren't really good at doing things, instead they are good at managing things. The ones who are really successful learn to trust those who know how fix things or how the trades really work. For this reason most rich people aren't good at fixing things.

It woukd be nice to have enough money to hire out the things you don't want to do but still have the skills to fix things you don't mind doing. It would be terrible to be totally dependent on others to fix every problem.

It seems to that people who move up in the business world aren't really good at doing things, instead they are good at managing things. The ones who are really successful learn to trust those who know how fix things or how the trades really work. For this reason most rich people aren't good at fixing things.

It woukd be nice to have enough money to hire out the things you don't want to do but still have the skills to fix things you don't mind doing. It would be terrible to be totally dependent on others to fix every problem.
Pay doesn't follow skill unfortunately. Pay follows scale

Be nice if everything didn't need fixing….
I'm doing my best to solve that. Less things you own... less things that need fixing. 😄

I'm pretty good at getting invited places, renting, etc. I have some one wanting to rent me a place to live because they just want to generate a little revenue for upkeep but have no intentions of selling it. I'm seriously considering it.

Latest posts