Shot in the Dark

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

Shot in the Dark

Postby slick4591 » Sat May 12, 2018 1:52 pm

Just been notified that the breeder in Dewey Rose, Georgia will be ready for me to pick out my two bred heifers at the end of July or first of August. I think some of y'all have told me that it's going to be like Texas and hottern' he!!.

So, I'm looking for tips on how to cool a cattle trailer down to make the trip home (14+ hours). I realize I should be making frequent stops and off loading them for water and rest, but I don't have any idea where I would be able to do that. I've thought of a mister system that people use with hogs, but I've read where using that with cows really only creates a sauna for them. I've never hauled anything close to that long in this kind of heat. Kicking around the thought of driving thru the night, which appears to be my best option at the moment.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Shot in the Dark

Postby Son of Butch » Sat May 12, 2018 2:26 pm

You are right, NEVER mist cattle (without fans over them) high risk of heat stroke and death.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat May 12, 2018 3:15 pm

I have a 11 hour run from here to Fire Sweep. I have moved them at least once in August and a couple times in July. My policy is to load them and only stop moving when I have to get gas. They always come off thirsty but are absolutely fine.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat May 12, 2018 3:27 pm

We never worried about watering the cattle until the first horse tied up and died. Kinda like a canary in a mine. lol
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat May 12, 2018 3:40 pm

slick4591 wrote:Just been notified that the breeder in Dewey Rose, Georgia will be ready for me to pick out my two bred heifers at the end of July or first of August. I think some of y'all have told me that it's going to be like Texas and hottern' he!!.

So, I'm looking for tips on how to cool a cattle trailer down to make the trip home (14+ hours). I realize I should be making frequent stops and off loading them for water and rest, but I don't have any idea where I would be able to do that. I've thought of a mister system that people use with hogs, but I've read where using that with cows really only creates a sauna for them. I've never hauled anything close to that long in this kind of heat. Kicking around the thought of driving thru the night, which appears to be my best option at the moment.

Slick you can usually find some sale barns that will let you off load, water your cattle and give them some feed if you ahve it. The really good ones probably won't even charge you for it. Misting is ok as long as your driving but they'll dry out pretty fast. Soak them down good before you take off and it should keep them good for a couple of hours.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sat May 12, 2018 9:37 pm

If only 2 put one in front and one in back. Drive through the night and give them water a coouple times when you stop for gas. Cattle leave here every week heading to western Nebraska and are never unloaded.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

SmokinM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SmokinM » Sun May 13, 2018 4:22 am

I do a fair bit of hauling, IMO best thing you can do is load them up and hammer down. Get another driver if you can/ need to. At night is your best bet, cooler and less traffic= better time. Don’t unload til you get home. Offer water when you get fuel but don’t be surprised if they don’t drink. Make sure your trailer has plenty of room and air flow and they will be fine. The least amount of time on the trailer will help them more than anything. Like Kenny said they ship cattle that far and then some everyday, they don’t offload and they don’t stop. They do haul azzz though.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun May 13, 2018 7:01 am

Do you know someone with an air conditioned horse trailer you can borrow or rent?
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun May 13, 2018 7:55 am

TexasBred wrote:
slick4591 wrote:Just been notified that the breeder in Dewey Rose, Georgia will be ready for me to pick out my two bred heifers at the end of July or first of August. I think some of y'all have told me that it's going to be like Texas and hottern' he!!.

Slick you can usually find some sale barns that will let you off load, water your cattle and give them some feed if you ahve it. The really good ones probably won't even charge you for it. Misting is ok as long as your driving but they'll dry out pretty fast. Soak them down good before you take off and it should keep them good for a couple of hours.

usualy I would say drive and don't stop. but your going a long way during the absolute worste time of the year. hard on man, beast and tires. and you cant really rush 14 hours . TBs plan is what I would shoot for. travel at night, rest the cattle during the day, and get yourself a room. I honestly don't think of a salebarn that would say no.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun May 13, 2018 8:00 am

TCRanch wrote:Do you know someone with an air conditioned horse trailer you can borrow or rent?

The only person that I know is an ex-wife and I can assure you that won't happen!

Thanks for all the suggestions! Like I thought it appears the night haul is the way to go and we'll shoot for straight thru. I'd be too concerned driving in 100F. Fortunately the other driver is my age and we don't get to pass many rest stops.
1 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun May 13, 2018 10:41 am

I'd do night time as well.. I'd hate to run into traffic
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun May 13, 2018 11:08 am

Have them delivered. Out of sight, out of mind. Unless there is some underlying condition, they will be just fine. In the shade with a 75 mph breeze....
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun May 13, 2018 12:26 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Have them delivered. Out of sight, out of mind. Unless there is some underlying condition, they will be just fine. In the shade with a 75 mph breeze....

If I do that I have to settle for the two she decides to send. There's around 20 to go thru and I'm the first on the list.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun May 13, 2018 2:37 pm

fly out there and take a look at them
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun May 13, 2018 3:20 pm

slick4591 wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Have them delivered. Out of sight, out of mind. Unless there is some underlying condition, they will be just fine. In the shade with a 75 mph breeze....

If I do that I have to settle for the two she decides to send. There's around 20 to go thru and I'm the first on the list.

Like Nesi said, turn it into a little bit of fun instead of work. Either way, it's always fun picking out some new stock.
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”