Scours treatment for dairy calves

Cattle problems.
Harris2346
Cowhand
Cowhand

Scours treatment for dairy calves

Postby Harris2346 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:21 pm

How do I treat scours in dairy calves. What kinds of medicines can I give them. Any advice is greatly appreciated thanks.
0 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Scours treatment for dairy calves

Postby Till-Hill » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:44 pm

Where you from? Mild scours when calves are drinking milk yet I give probiotics and Bluelight (electrolyte) with their milk.

If they won't drink milk I give them with a tuber 1.5-2 bottles 3 times a day of probiotics and Bluelight. Very rarely do I use an antibiotic. Usually probiotics and bluelight work wonders.

Make sure you are using a good all milk milk replacer and using the correct amount of powder to water. We weigh all our powder. Correct temperature and clean bottles/pails will prevent 99% of it.
0 x

Harris2346
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Harris2346 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:23 pm

Thank you Till-Hill for your comment Iam from Idaho Iam going to start raising Holstein heifers on nurse cows. What I am really trying to understand is what kinds of antibiotics can I use if the electrolytes are not working. You are absolutely right about giving them electrolytes cause it keeps them hydrated,and that’s the most important thing because dehydration is the primary cause of death with calves with scours. But just in case the electrolytes aren’t enough what kind of antibiotic could I use.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:24 pm

Till-Hill wrote:
Mild scours when calves are drinking milk... I give...Bluelight (electrolyte) with their milk.
Bluelight work wonders.
Correct temperature and clean bottles/pails will prevent 99% of it.

+++ on Bluelight-C
Clean, clean, clean when dealing with babies clean can't be over emphasized.... but 94% :)
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:20 pm

Since Sustain III Calf Boluses are on indefinite back order I've been using Terramycin Scour Tablets but in a pinch I've cut up a Sustain III Cattle Bolus. I also recommend the Trusti Tuber Oral Calf Feeder - makes tubing (electrolytes, colostrum replacer, etc) virtually foul proof.
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/ter ... ur-tablets
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/tru ... feeder-kit
0 x

Harris2346
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Harris2346 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:27 pm

Thank you TC Ranch that’s exactly what I was going to get was sustain III calf boluses. Or teramycin scour tablets. I will check out the trusti tuber oral calf feeder. Thank you for your comment.
0 x

Harris2346
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Harris2346 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:29 pm

Thank you TC Ranch that’s exactly what I was going to get was sustain III calf boluses. Or teramycin scour tablets. I will check out the trusti tuber oral calf feeder. Thank you for your comment.
0 x

Harris2346
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Harris2346 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:42 pm

For vaccinations for the calves can you guys tell me what you use to vaccinate them, and when they need vaccinated. Iam going to start raising dairy heifers on nurse cows. I used to raise dairy heifers on nurse cows back when I was in high school, what I remember is when they are one day old I need to give them inforce 3 Intranasal and a shot of Mu-se for white muscle disease. Then at 2 weeks old I need to give them cattle master gold FP5L5, and then a clostridium 7 way which I think is Ultrabac 7/ somubac. Then at 6 weeks old I need to give them the same vaccines that I gave them at 2 weeks old. Then a week before weaning give them Inforce 3. Then at 5 months old give them cattle master gold FP5L5 and Ultrabac 7/ somubac and take them to the vet to get there bangs vaccination. Then at 6 months old give them Lepto shield 5 and Ultrabac 7/ somubac. I don’t know if that’s the right vaccinations to give and any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:44 pm

Harris2346 wrote:For vaccinations for the calves can you guys tell me what you use to vaccinate them, and when they need vaccinated. Iam going to start raising dairy heifers on nurse cows. I used to raise dairy heifers on nurse cows back when I was in high school, what I remember is when they are one day old I need to give them inforce 3 Intranasal and a shot of Mu-se for white muscle disease. Then at 2 weeks old I need to give them cattle master gold FP5L5, and then a clostridium 7 way which I think is Ultrabac 7/ somubac. Then at 6 weeks old I need to give them the same vaccines that I gave them at 2 weeks old. Then a week before weaning give them Inforce 3. Then at 5 months old give them cattle master gold FP5L5 and Ultrabac 7/ somubac and take them to the vet to get there bangs vaccination. Then at 6 months old give them Lepto shield 5 and Ultrabac 7/ somubac. I don’t know if that’s the right vaccinations to give and any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

I just replied to your other post.
0 x

Harris2346
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Harris2346 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:50 pm

Thanks
0 x

darcelina4
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby darcelina4 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:38 pm

If calves have scours- what kind of scours. If just too much milk- no fever, feeling perky, no bad smell- I just wait and see. This can happen easily if nursing from a cow. If lethargic or fever or both plus scours- banamine, baytril, tablespoon baking soda put in some milk, a bottle of electrolytes, either sustain 3 crushed into milk or albon tablet, probias gel. If they won't drink, I tube them. Get a supply of medicine before you get the calves. If getting dairy culls as nurse cows, test them for Mycoplasma and staph and Hobbes and blv before bringing them home.
0 x

Harris2346
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Harris2346 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:42 pm

Ok thank you for your comment that is a really good idea about testing the nurse cows.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:52 pm

I have replied to you other posts, but here I will put in my 2 cents. You need to know what is causing the scours. The biggest problem I have with my calves on the nurse cows is coccidiosis. That is easily treated with corid. But brought in calves can easily have a multitude of stuff from their home farm, or could be "clean" and something on your farm doesn't "click". I have a couple of dairies that I get calves from that do amazing. Got 2 farms I wouldn't take another calf if they gave it to me because what "bugs" I have just do not work with what their environment had. Anything brought in needs to have at LEAST 2 feedings of colostrum. Staph and strep are a problem, e-coli, and rota and corona viruses are a big problem on some farms. Plus the ones like Darcelina4 listed.
0 x

Harris2346
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Harris2346 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:31 pm

Thank you farmer Jan I have never heard of corid I just looked it up that looks like good stuff. Iam glad you brought up the topic about coccidoisis I have a question about that say for instance instead of using nurse cows to raise the calves and I was going going to feed milk replacer to the calves that was medicated. When I started them on calf starter, I wouldn’t need to buy calf starter that had a coccidiosis in it because the medicated milk replacer would have coccidiosis in it and think it would either be to much for the calf if both the milk replacer and calf starter had the cocccidiosis in it or if it doesn’t hurt the calf I think it would be a waste of money to buy both with coccidiosis in it, I don’t know what do you think.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:00 am

You will need a VFD to feed medicated milk replacer. Another reason you need to work closely with your vet.
https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/De ... 071807.htm
1 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”