Scours treatment for dairy calves

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjan":1rarvpm2 said:
You might be getting a milk replacer that has a coccidiostat in it which is "medicated" but does not fall under the VFD because it is not considered to be an antibiotic that is related to human use. If it contains Neomycin, Teramycin, or anything like that then they are not following the law.

Yes, I've never seen any other medicated replacer that I can recall so that was what I assumed was being discussed. :dunce:

Used to be most milk replacers had Neomycin and or Teramycin in them. The VFD took care of that and now they will often have some sort of coccidiostat in them. It is "technically medicated" but does not fall under those VFD rules.
The VFD rules that went into effect Jan 2017 greatly affected many who often had kept things like the medicated crumbles on hand to use to add to feed for weaning calves that often would go off feed or get a "little cold" type snotty nose or cough. It pertains to anything that could be added to feed. Many calf feeds, and things like chicken feed were often medicated as matter of course.

Latest posts