10 heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
If I put 10 heifers ready to breed in with a bull on April 1 should they all be bred by May1? The bull is 24 months old and proven.

If owned them there would be some open. Your luck might be better than mine.

mwj":a7qp2gfq said:
They will all be bred,BUT they may not all be safe in calf! :cowboy:
When you use the word "bred" do you simply mean "screwed"?? If not please differentiate between "bred" and "safe in calf"??

Some could potentially cycle twice while others only once. If it was absolutely necessary to pull the bull at 1 month, I guess you could sync the heifers so they all got a chance to cycle twice if needed.

You will wind up with open heifers if you do sync them. Bull might get them all covered but he might hang with one or two and miss the others. If you sync just go ahead and try and AI what you can. That way you know they all got a shot of bull juice.

if i was going to run that tight of a window.i would put the bull in for 75 days.then preg check them 60 days after pulling the bull.and sell the opem heifers.

I would sync them ai them all and turn out the bull the next day. After 30 days they shoulld all be bred. The culls will reveal themselves.

I should have clarified, sorry. I was just curious on that time frame ? but the bull will be left with them 24-7 until I sell them as bred heifers in late summer or early fall. I blood test check them and it's 99% accurate. I'll probably test them in July.

tncattle":ft1zag1x said:
I should have clarified, sorry. I was just curious on that time frame ? but the bull will be left with them 24-7 until I sell them as bred heifers in late summer or early fall. I blood test check them and it's 99% accurate. I'll probably test them in July.

Ya think!

hillsdown":2cxtlhqk said:
tncattle":2cxtlhqk said:

Ya think!
Hehe :mrgreen:

72% in calf first cycle, another 65% by second cycle, and another 55% on third cycle, and another 50% on fourth cycle, for example - leeds to 7 calving in the first 21 days, then another 2 in the next period. Assuming everything works. Often the first day(s) result in nothing because of too much commotion in the herd when the bull gets there + chance and luck comes into play, a bull can have a bad day or week, heifers with diahorrea does not settle well,one or two may not be cycling and so on. More time with the bull gives more calves. 30 days gives 1,5 chances for each heifer.

hillsdown":8os8wolt said:
Why not just sync them and throw the bull in .

Strength in numbers....not always a good thing. Aren't you asking a 2yr old bull to breed 10 cows in 24 hours and settle them all. Seems like he's gonna run a little low on swimmers there.

TexasBred":a2zy4m3z said:
mwj":a2zy4m3z said:
They will all be bred,BUT they may not all be safe in calf! :cowboy:
When you use the word "bred" do you simply mean "screwed"?? If not please differentiate between "bred" and "safe in calf"??

Yes, I mean the injection of a swimming sperm. If that was all that was required AI would always be 100%.The part that always gets to me, is the question is always about the bull. Not one word about those 10 fertile heifers that just need a whiff of sperm, to start there productive career. :hide: