Anybody interested in space?

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Enter here for a free ride or pay $250k and get in line behind at least 600 people.

162561738443018386_812x.jpg

162586660234319708_1249x.jpg

Last edited:
Both of those are more like the 'edge' of space than what is generally considered 'space'.
The defining line between the Earth with it's atmosphere and 'space' is the Karman Line, which is 54 nautical miles or 62 statute miles, or 100km, or 330,000 feet) above mean sea level.

Branson in Virgin Galactic, a winged airplane, went only 53.5 miles up.
Bezos' Blue Origin is designed to go exactly 62 miles up, TO the Karman Line, stay there just a few (approx 3) minutes and then return to Earth.
'Technically' it's space but neither of the vehicles has or requires a robust heat shield, tho Bezos' New Shepard crew capsule does have minimal heat shielding.

There have been several manned aircraft that have passed the 62 mile Karman Line. X-15 did it in 1962, and twice in 1963 and Burt Rutan's Space Ship1 did in 2004.

Have at it.... just not my thing. And yes, I like to fly, I was taking flying lessons years ago and planned to get my pilots liscense for small aircraft... but had a bad car wreck on the ground and after that didn't have the memory and recall from head trauma.... was afraid to keep after it. But space????? noooooo

That would be like on top of the World looking down on creation. Experience weightlessness and awe-inspiring views of Earth.

Last edited:
I was just a kid when Challenger blew up. I remember it all over the news. Even as a kid I thought that was one of the most terrible things I've ever seen. The fact they aired those people being blown up on television at the time was a bit disturbing.

Never want to see that again and hope all goes well for these brave folks

Just give me some elbow room and I'm satisfied. If space travel has not improved our efforts at national security then the government programs are a total waste. People are looking for a thrill and a way to blow money. It used to be trying to win a teddy bear or a goldfish at the county fair. Now it is just a bit more exclusive and expensive. "Looking for a winner" has not changed.

He made it........four more people have been in space. The oldest and the youngest to ever go into space.

Last edited:
I'm not a 'fan' of Bebos AT ALL, but the flight and return of both booster and capsule this morning was quite impressive.
(NOT impressive, was the all the 'cowboy' attire everyone was wearing for the photo op before and after the flight. I wonder how many of them there knows which end of a cow gets up first)bezoshat.jpg

This was definitely the biggest thing to happen in Van Horn since Confederate forces took the settlement from the yankees in 1861.

I ran across the launch this morning and watched it. I kept wondering what the big deal was and what the purpose was. Didn't realize it was just a rich persons entertainment ride. Note that I think all this space travel is a bunch of crap to start with.

In a news conference after the launch, Bezos made a special dedication. "I want to thank every Amazon employee and every Amazon customer," Bezos said, "because you paid for all of this."

On Tuesday, after his 11-minute launch to the edge of space, Bezos gave $200 million in "courage and civility awards." The sum is split between chef José Andrés and CNN personality and social entrepreneur Van Jones to be given to charities and nonprofits of their choice.

"I met all these young radical people of color -- I mean really radical, communists and anarchists. And it was, like, 'This is what I need to be a part of.' I spent the next ten years of my life working with a lot of those people I met in jail, trying to be a revolutionary. I was a rowdy nationalist on April 28th, and then the verdicts came down on April 29th. By August, I was a communist ~ Van Jones

Latest posts