Brahman bull

Help Support CattleToday:

AldacoCattle

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new here and new to the cattle business. I was planning on buying a few braford heifers and maybe using an angus bull on them, but my dad decided to buy a Brahman bull. What type of heifers would y'all use on a Brahman bull? Should I just buy some commercial Brahman heifers? Or a set of Hereford heifers? Eventually I would want to keep replacement heifers out of them. Thank you.

You had a really good plan. Obviously your dad was not on the same page. Its probably best to get with him on his game plan for that bull. He has painted yall in a tight corner so hopefully he has a plan.

Where are you located? Try to find the birth weight on the bull's epds. Both those factors will effect what kind of cows you can run with him. I would definitely stay away from heifers. Also, post a pic of the new bull. That will also help.

:welcome: I agree with everything Brute said. Hard to beat BrahmanxHereford or BrahmanxAngus for replacements.

Brute 23 said:
You had a really good plan. Obviously your dad was not on the same page. Its probably best to get with him on his game plan for that bull. He has painted yall in a tight corner so hopefully he has a plan.

Where are you located? Try to find the birth weight on the bull's epds. Both those factors will effect what kind of cows you can run with him. I would definitely stay away from heifers. Also, post a pic of the new bull. That will also help.

We are located in Huffman Tx, gulf coast region in Texas. I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures for some reason it won't let me. Why would you stay away from heifers? thanks for all the help.

AldacoCattle said:
Brute 23 said:

We are located in Huffman Tx, gulf coast region in Texas. I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures for some reason it won't let me. Why would you stay away from heifers? thanks for all the help.

Brahman bulls are not recommended on heifers typically, because when crossed, many times the calves, especially bull calves, can be really large, which increases chances of calving problems. It's odd, but this same thing does not typically occur when breeding bos Taurus bulls (non-Brahman) to Brahman cows.

A.J. said:
AldacoCattle said:
Brute 23 said:

Brahman bulls are not recommended on heifers typically, because when crossed, many times the calves, especially bull calves, can be really large, which increases chances of calving problems. It's odd, but this same thing does not typically occur when breeding bos Taurus bulls (non-Brahman) to Brahman cows.

This is spot on info.

A.J. said:
AldacoCattle said:
Brute 23 said:

Wow! I sure did not know that. Thanks for the info! Does this also happen with if the heifers are brahman? or only if the brahman bull is crossed with a different breed?

Good looking bull. His frame will be to your benefit. Find some good Hereford or Angus cows. I would even consider good bred Hereford heifers from a reputable dealer. They will have bred them to a good low birth weight bull. Calve them out and then breed them back to yalls bull.

Latest posts