Breaking a Young Horse.

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy":2fetyo3o said:
Keeps em focused on food instead of the job at hand.

Me thinks somebody listened to Parelli a bit too much.

treats work,just keep them at a minimum,be surprised at what you can get done with just a lunge line and a treat at the end of the day................good luck

PS everyone likes to be rewarded for a job well done :D

I have pictures and am going to put them up as soon as I get a camera transfer cable. I am going slow but, I am keeping at a steady pace as long as she is comfortable with what I am doing. So far nothing I have done has bothered her. Today I caught her without feed. Normallly she won't come 'cept with a bucket. I was surprised. The owner is very happy with the way things are going. He's amazed that she's been coming along so quickly.

The first thing is to establish yourself as the leader of the herd. Don't let this mare misbehave in any way, not even a smidge because is you give an inch they'll try to take a mile. This is just what I do, by all means do what you are comfortable with, with these posts and research put together a regimen and go for it.

1. Again establish yourself as the herd leader. Halter the horse and lead the horse where you want to go. If you are going through gates or into or out of a barn you go through the doors first. Halter and tie the horse before you feed it every time. You are showing the horse that you are in control of the feed, but that you are also a good provider.
2. The first year (halter training, leading, tieing, holding feet, tacking up, all ground work) keep the training sessions short, 30 minutes or so, but positive. If you get hitched on something you are trying to train and the mare just isn't getting it, ask her to do something she knows, praise her, then take a step back. Ask yourself why she isn't getting it. Is it you or are you asking her in a way that needs to be changed so she does get it? Use longeing to teach verbal cues such as walk, trot, the canter, and whoah. Anytime when saying whoah, riding or leading, it's not a request it's an order.
3. When first saddling go slow. The first few sessions get the horse used to having someone "up there". Ponying the mare alongside another horse is a great way to help her overcome her fear of having someone above them. Remember a horse is a prey animal and has instincts that say anything on it's back is bad. They are showing a lot of trust in us to allow us to be up there and lead them where we want to go.
4. As the mare accepts to be ridden increase your time in the saddle. Wet backs and blankets will make a good horse. The first thing I teach a horse is to whoah. When things go sour you want to have the confidence that she's going to stop. Then walk, trot, and finally canter. The first summer I ride a horse, that fall they are turned out until the next spring. Remember, at one time or other every horse is going to come up with the idea that they don't like all of this new work and will rebel in one degree or other. You'll just have to work through it.
5. Make a plan. I sit down and lay out what I want to teach this horse this year. It's different for each horse that I train because some will learn faster than others and some are trained for ranch work vs. pleasure competition. However, when working with animals this plan isn't set in stone. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. Also don't move onto something new until you have accomplished what you have set out to do. Example, you want to teach a horse to stand quietly for a farrier but they are acting up, don't move onto something else. Stick it out and you'll end up with a better horse in the end.

This is just what has worked for me and my wife, but feel free to completely ignore this whole post if you desire, no big deal. Good luck!

She pretty much knows I am the leader. Every time I do a new thing, she turns to me to make sure that it's okay. When I was standing on a set of steps above her head she acted nervous but I petted her and she calmed right down. She looks to me for that reassurance that everything will be okay, and thats what I have been trying to get her to do. She is coming along great...:D

Time with them and hands on them are the two best training techniques IMHO.

Here are some pictures of me working with her...

LibertyandKate2.jpg

KatesdidgitalPictures197.jpg

KatesdidgitalPictures190.jpg

KatesdidgitalPictures187.jpg

KatesdidgitalPictures185.jpg

KatesdidgitalPictures184.jpg

KatesdidgitalPictures180.jpg

*They are in backwards order but you get the idea* Sorry about the first picure... I am not sure why it's so small.

Enjoy!

I love her markings. How old did ya say she was? She looks likes with the proper training she would make a really good kids horse. From what ya wrote before it looks like she has already come a long ways. Nothing like hands on.

Yep, that's a good looking horse. Looks like you've done a good job of desensitizing her. Keep up the good work.

Thanks. She is just about to turn three I am pretty sure. She's small, but good looking I agree. I am loving working with her. Yesterday I put weight in her saddle and made her walk with it. I hooked two haybags together and put 15 lbs in each one and she did great. There was also a low spot in the field that had about 4 good inches of water in it and I walked her across it no big deal. I also got her to take a bit and that was no biggie either! It amazed even me how well she took it all. She's never really acted bothered with anything I have done. She coming along well. Her owner has two kids and I think it's to the point that it would be okay to le him see her progress and the kids help me do some things I absolutely trust... like brushing her, leading her, and that stuff that I KNOW she doesnt mind a bit. I am so excited to see what her owner thinks when he sees her!

Looks like she could care less what you're doing. Yes, still small, but she will be looking nice when she grows and gets muscle on her.

Keep up the good work!

Well, I went to the next step with a bit and she took it easier than an old horse and didnt care about it... it went well!!!

Yesterday, I caught her and brushed her, picked her feet, etc. Saddled her wth about a 25lb saddle and put wieght in the saddle. I used two haybags and put 15lbs in each one and tied the over the saddle to the horn. She acted like there was nothing there at all, and I applied more pressure with my body weight into the saddle while standing on the steps and leaning over. She didn't care a bit. She's going to be a great horse when she's finished.

I thought it was going to be horrible! She's a lot better a horse than I thought.... she was every bit as wild, but seemed to calm down really quickly. I have more pictures that I will put up this afternoon. I havent found one thing that is a challenge for her to accept or get used to. She's great!

Onthebit":wifxzoqg said:
I imagine that joining up is what I did....in my own way...i sat with my back to her til she came to me...it was only her and I in the yard. I broke a standardbred filly similarily. She was so wild the owner couldn't clean her stall...I would open her door and turn my back to her and just stand there...she eventually came to me...she trusted me....got her to the races and the owner sold her and she promptly broke the new owners arm...I don't know where she ended up after that though.....the trick is they have to have no other horses around to 'join up' with......just you....

You were Lucky _ you get a horse that STRIKS and You'll Get Killed...

The Idea is Ok But:
I've been Taught
"Always Protect Your Self!"
Get in a Manger or Feeder - Someplace where the horse can't (get you) or (Hurt You)

Easy way _ Feed the Animal _ Cow, Horse, Lamb and get in the Feeder, Manger and go to sleep
Chances are when you wake-up the animal will be there eating...
Move real slow and pet the animal.
Most people tend to move to fast at this point.

UPDATE:

Before it got bad winter weather I had her to where I could sit on her and be led... just to the point where I wanted her. Bad weather hit and I had to stop for about a month... came back to pick up where I left off (or so I thought) and I walked into the pen like normal and she acted hesitant... Got close enough to touch her and she completely lost it... kicking, bucking, running, etc. I ran her up into the corrals and let her calm down... then I poured some feed in her trough.. she came up to eat and the minute I reached for the halter, she snapped. Rearing up and coming back down a lil too close to me for comfort. I took her feed away and we went round and round in the pen till she came to me all was good until she got a second wind... I walked away with a bite mark, two kick bruises, a knot on my head and a nearly broken wrist... I decided that training this horse wasn't worth getting killed over... I told the man that she needed a professional trainer that had the facilities to work with her everyday... he said he completely understood and was glad I wasn't hurt too badly... lol...

I have a little horse, she is a about 2 1/2..her name is also Liberty! I found out just kind of hanging out with her has made a HUGE difference. and little games like the porcupine game so she learns to yield from pressure. it simple and silly...you just poke her til she moves away from the touch.

The only problem I came across was that she doesn't lead well, she'd rather just follow me. I actually have riddden her 3 times this summer, and my brother has also. nothing really intensive because she still is young. She never bucked, kicked, spooked, or took off runnning. I had a saddle and bit on her a year ago (never with a rider) just getting her get used to them. Giving her time with just the saddle on was something I made sure to do. I wanted her completely comfortable with it on and all the straps ropes that dangle and flap around. I've had Liberty since she was six months so I've been able to work with her since she was little bitty thing. first time i got on her she turned when I used reins and I got forward motion. i may've just lucked out with my berty :)

I would get some help from a good trainer in the area so you can learn how to do this correctly. Most of the big name clinicians that travel and present un-ordinary training methods do not give very good advice in this matter.