Bumper Crop of Turkeys

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.

Reaction score
Looks like every egg laid in the spring hatched and every poult survived. I'm seeing hens with poults on my place and all up and down the road. Anybody else seeing turkeys in y'alls neck of the woods?

Very poor production here. Way too much rain during the nesting season. Saw some the other day that were only the size of my fist, had to be a really late hatch. On average we're only seeing 1 poult for every 6-7 hens. The usual is 6-7 poults per hen.

I think we are looking at a good year. I'm seeing groups every day. Even saw a hen the other day with a bunch of biddies. She must have lost her nest and rebred. They were something.

It's looking like an average year in my area. I am seeing a lot of hens with no poults, and the hens that I am seeing that managed to raise a clutch, seem like they are averaging around 3 that are still alive. It seems like the deer are having a great year, I have seen more fawns this year than I can remember seeing in a long time. I am also seeing lots of sets of twins.

TREY-L":1xqmgzs9 said:
It seems like the deer are having a great year, I have seen more fawns this year than I can remember seeing in a long time. I am also seeing lots of sets of twins.

I've seen exactly one fawn. And it was with a half dozen does. Very few tracks. At least this year the white oaks have a bumper crop of acrons, none on the red oaks though. Usually the sunflowers have their heads all nipped off before they get any bigger then a silver dollar. So far I haven;t seen any that have been eaten. Bumper crop of coons, possums and dillers though. Coyotes are skinny and in really poor condition even with field rats out the wazoo.

dun":snmjgp9n said:
Bumper crop of coons, possums and dillers though. Coyotes are skinny and in really poor condition even with field rats out the wazoo.
You'd think those yotes would be fat and happy with such a buffet to choose from. Our coyotes always look nasty during the summer, with the mange and all. I've been seeing a few foxes lately on my way in to work, they look tiny compared to what they look like with their winter clothes on.

Saw four hens in my wheat stubble Yesterday, must have been 40 half grown chicks with them. We have gone from no turkeys to flocks all in about five years. I'm not sure about feeding all these critters, we have Looooong COLD Winters.

Just came out of the woods and spooked about 20 turkeys (hens and poults) as they were getting a drink from the creek. The poults I'm seeing are almost indistinguishable from their mommas so they are early hatch birds. The deer seem to be in usual numbers this year. We've had a much better year this year than last as far as rain is concerned. There's more native grass in the woods this year. Muscadines and hickory nuts are looking good, too.

Just out of curiosity, do ya'll have a fall season? Reason I ask is the DNR called me the other day wanting my opinion on whether or not they should allow a fall season here. We have worked very hard to build our numbers up over the last 20 years and I am beginning to become well pleased with the numbers. I'm no turkey expert, but it just seems to me that whatever it is we are doing now is working so why tamper with it? Also, why ask JoePublic what their opinion is when I the only opinion that should matter is the wildlife biologists opinion as to what is good for the population. I essentially told the guy to leave it alone. I hope this is right.

Yes we have a fall season, 2 birds either sex. But there is very little fall turkey hunting done. More as an aside to archery deer season.

Jogeephus":qojmbtfc said:
Just out of curiosity, do ya'll have a fall season? Reason I ask is the DNR called me the other day wanting my opinion on whether or not they should allow a fall season here. We have worked very hard to build our numbers up over the last 20 years and I am beginning to become well pleased with the numbers. I'm no turkey expert, but it just seems to me that whatever it is we are doing now is working so why tamper with it? Also, why ask JoePublic what their opinion is when I the only opinion that should matter is the wildlife biologists opinion as to what is good for the population. I essentially told the guy to leave it alone. I hope this is right.

Jo, I agree, It seems like someone is always wanting to fix something, even when it's not broken. I see this all the time, mostly at work. Change for the sake of change is not a good thing.

The counties on South Alabama have a fall season, the rest have a spring season only. Only Morgan county in north Alabama has no season at all due to insufficient numbers.

We have no season at all for turkeys here. Soon a Spring hunt I think as numbers are increasing fast. Deep snows and a hard Winter will no doubt be a factor. I think a Fall hunt would be OK when the number of birds gets to capacity. Maybe cut the numbers down to help with Winter survival.

Hunting for turkeys in the fall is boring. I would much rather have a big ol' tom come in strutting to me in the spring.

J. T.":2f7utsa5 said:
The counties on South Alabama have a fall season, the rest have a spring season only. Only Morgan county in north Alabama has no season at all due to insufficient numbers.

A friend of mine told me that South Carolina had real good numbers but their population declined after they opened a fall season. I don't know if this is accurate but it concerns me cause I can remember never seeing a turkey but our population has really increased and I'd like to see it as healthy as possible.

Turkey population is on the decrease here. Not going to have a fall season in my county this year. Bobcat and deer population is increasing faster than Tyson employees from Mexico. The grasshoppers are getting to be a nuisance also since the turkeys are fewer. We only have seen one hen with young this year.

Red Bull Breeder":1rph2ien said:
Turkey populations will always go up and down fall season don't effect the population much.

Thats right, Eastern MT has a two turkey per hunter Fall hunt, has had for years. Most turkeys killed are Jakes. Like pheasant hunting it has no effect on the population. Besides keeps the turkeys wilder and more spread out.

Have seen a normal amount of turkeys with young. Saw a group of 4 hens while moving hay, and they probably had 20 young with them. We should have had a good hatch, the weather was decent. We had rain, but none of those 3" gully washers during the nesting time. Mostly light, gentle rains.