California Fires

Help Support CattleToday:

76 Bar

Reaction score
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...res-how-many-burning-what-we-know/3406246001/
"If you are in denial about climate change, come to California," Gov. Gavin Newsom said, as he addressed the wildfires in a last-minute video recorded for the Democratic National Convention on Thursday night.
Absolute crock to blame the disaster on climate change. CA is paying the price of decades of ignoring fire suppression policies that could have significantly reduced the fuel load that contribute to the catastrophic fires they're currently facing.

We have similar problems here, tree clearing laws and vegetation management restrictions, livestock locked out of state forests all lead to much greater fuel load. Also the hoops you have to jump through to get a permit for hazard reduction burns in the safe time of year to burn creates a problem.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
We have similar problems here, tree clearing laws and vegetation management restrictions, livestock locked out of state forests all lead to much greater fuel load. Also the hoops you have to jump through to get a permit for hazard reduction burns in the safe time of year to burn creates a problem.
Ken
I hear ya. The current mentality and protocols regarding fire suppression in the USA are antiquated & patently asinine. :frowns:

This is where the range land fire protection associations that are springing up all over the west come in. They are made up of local ranchers. It is all volunteer. While the BLM is deciding how to act the rancher who know the local terrain jump out there and get control of the fire. Because of the way they are set up they get access to government surplus equipment like cats and fire trucks at little to no cost.

76 Bar said:
This is a long & sad but must read article :
https://www.redbluffdailynews.com/2...RwAQmTRrbQ7s4-j8M6IgfF6xeX0YWDmuwxKJTR5AMR6Jc
Dave's credentials:
https://www.csuchico.edu/ag/about/faculty/daley-david.shtml
He's been dedicated to personally, educationally & politically enlightening the govt & public about the positives of raising & consuming beef. My heart grieves for him & his family.

This explains the situation, the causes, and the issues so well. Need to put Dave in charge of the management of the land instead of the bureaucrats and "experts".

Good possibility that one person and one match is responsible for the fires instead of climate change. Could be a lot of pyromaniacs out there that are trying to destroy California and the western states. Or it could also be a terrorist or organized group of them that are doing it to destroy and cost a lot to the economy.

hurleyjd said:
Good possibility that one person and one match is responsible for the fires instead of climate change. Could be a lot of pyromaniacs out there that are trying to destroy California and the western states. Or it could also be a terrorist or organized group of them that are doing it to destroy and cost a lot to the economy.

I think the issue is not who or what started a fire. Hard to control that. I think the issue is land management that minimizes the spread of a fire and the amount of damage. Lightning, arsonists, careless people - what actions could be taken to eliminate/minimize the number of fires that result? In terms of management of the land, there appears that lots can be done to minimize the spread and size. The information in Dave Daley's article just seems like common sense to me. My firm belief - local people are much more likely to have the knowledge and experience to best deal with their local issues than those from far away (state capitals and federal government).

Common sense tells us that extensive or even exclusive use of electric vehicles would eliminate all these forest fires.

Is it that obvious, I was trying for subtle.

In all honesty it is not something to joke about and my heart goes out to him and all the families affected. It is a fantastic article that I hope finds the eyes and ears of somebody that can affect some change on policies in the future. Or people get smart enough to start electing leaders that actually will help them not just empty promises of free rides and sunshine.

Will do Smokin. The vast destruction of the west coast fires has made me testy. Adding insult to injury this old dog is now gonna hafta learn some new tricks to navigate this board. Double whammy!

A rain ending drought would alleviate a lot of problems 2011 Texas had a lot of range fires where no trees were involved.

Latest posts