CB/Bryant/Dogs&Cows Hounds

Help Support CattleToday:

Most people don't realize how much ground a dog can cover. We run Curr and Catahoula dogs and its not hard to run off of 10,000 acres. We have had dogs go off 80,000 acres. The new tracking systems are amazing when used correctly to see what is going on. They also ruin a lot of good dogs when used incorrectly.

I won't hunt where the neighbors aren't ok with me at least calling them to ask if I can retrieve my dogs.

Brute 23":4j7nr1l9 said:
Most people don't realize how much ground a dog can cover. We run Curr and Catahoula dogs and its not hard to run off of 10,000 acres. We have had dogs go off 80,000 acres. The new tracking systems are amazing when used correctly to see what is going on. They also ruin a lot of good dogs when used incorrectly.

I won't hunt where the neighbors aren't ok with me at least calling them to ask if I can retrieve my dogs.

Yea I have GPS and tracking collar's on my dogs.

Brute 23":3tyhn7hv said:

What are you running, hogs?

Brute 23":1z4s7mkd said:

That is the very reason the dog hunter is viewed so badly, rude behavior.
You should always run the absolute minimum amount of dogs IMO.
Hog hunters have gotten such a bad name because of the hillbilly I can go anywhere attitude.
Had one stop by last week to talk about running on the lease across the road.
He was surprised when I told him most everyone with cows up here considers them a target.

kenny thomas":33g60581 said:
Brute 23":33g60581 said:

What are you running, hogs?

Yes sir.

Caustic Burno":21s099ej said:
Brute 23":21s099ej said:

That is the very reason the dog hunter is viewed so badly, rude behavior.
You should always run the absolute minimum amount of dogs IMO.
Hog hunters have gotten such a bad name because of the hillbilly I can go anywhere attitude.
Had one stop by last week to talk about running on the lease across the road.
He was surprised when I told him most everyone with cows up here considers them a target.

I agree that a lot of dog hunters do not respect property lines.

At least that guy came and talked to you CB... most wouldn't.

Dogs and Cows":xvrg22sf said:
skyhightree1":xvrg22sf said:
I wish y'all could be sitting with me right now listening to this chase we turned out 71 dogs on a few deer and there packing together some kinda good . Everyone smiling and having fun making side bets who's dogs will be first behind the deer. Last time to run them till hunting season.

Dang Jules! 71 dogs...I think I can hear them here in NC! Good deal...love the sounds of the dogs on trail!!!!

Tim

Yea.. Last day of hunting season the whole club on the last drive whatever dogs we have left dump them in a big block of woods. The whole club has close to 400 deer dogs. From beagles,walkers,plotts, to half beagle half walkers blueticks, redticks.

There you go Sky making me wish I was there. I have never heard 71 run a race at the same time,bet that sounds better than a church choir. I always like to hear a good race but I also sure do like to hear them set down and blow the top out of a tree . As you know I am working with a young Mountain Cur dog now for Squirrel and one thing I am missing is they don't have the hound mouth and they don't bark on the trail, but its better no dogs at all
kb

BRYANT":2xai2a4r said:
There you go Sky making me wish I was there. I have never heard 71 run a race at the same time,bet that sounds better than a church choir. I always like to hear a good race but I also sure do like to hear them set down and blow the top out of a tree . As you know I am working with a young Mountain Cur dog now for Squirrel and one thing I am missing is they don't have the hound mouth and they don't bark on the trail, but its better no dogs at all
kb

Yea its an awesome sound like a train coming through the woods... Yea hows the training going?

Dogs and Cows":110ohvak said:
kenny thomas":110ohvak said:
71 dogs? I turned 3 loose on a bear last night and thought that might be too many.

Kenny...what do you run on bear? I was using English, and Walker dogs...but my favorite of all time are the Plotts!!!

Tim
We run Curs, Plotts, walkers, black and tan, crosses, mixed up mutts. Probably only a couple registered dogs in the bunch and those are there because they were suppose to be coon dogs.

Dogs and Cows":29w8we27 said:
SmokinM":29w8we27 said:
kenny thomas":29w8we27 said:
71 dogs? I turned 3 loose on a bear last night and thought that might be too many.

Didn't know you were a bear hunter KT. Did you get him treed? 12,000ac sounds like a lot of land to somebody who hasn't ever bear hunted, but when they don't feel like treeing they will cross that in a hurry. Bear hunting on a couple hundred acres if you can't get on the land around it is a waste of time. We generally hunt 3-7 dogs at a time. More than that dogs are running dogs and not the game and the few good dogs are getting screwed up by the run and barkers. Nothing like seeing/hearing good dogs work.

If you ever want to hunt some different scenery look me up KT would be glad to have you along.

SmokinM, where do you bear hunt? I've been in Telico, TN and we had huge leases down east NC. Sure was a ton of fun...I don't do it any more, just got too expensive and so much travel...but boy, good times!!!

Tim

I hunt in Nelson VA primarily. Big Plott fan myself still have one old one left, blind and deaf now but my daughter sure loves to snuggle him. Blue ticks, walkers and crosses of the two are pretty popular here also. A few Black and Tans and redbones scattered around. Nothing like a good pack treed!

skyhightree1":337nool5 said:
BRYANT":337nool5 said:
kb

Yea its an awesome sound like a train coming through the woods... Yea hows the training going?
he seems to be doing pretty good, really is a smart dog but this is the first time I have ever trained one with out and older dog to help guide him along. I think if I had and older dog with him he would be doing even better. It will be much better hunting when the leaves fall so I can see the squirrels in the tree better.

BRYANT":2cdiyygz said:
skyhightree1":2cdiyygz said:
BRYANT":2cdiyygz said:
kb

he seems to be doing pretty good, really is a smart dog but this is the first time I have ever trained one with out and older dog to help guide him along. I think if I had and older dog with him he would be doing even better. It will be much better hunting when the leaves fall so I can see the squirrels in the tree better.

Keep working with him don't give him a break gotta keep pounding into him what you want him to do. The worst you can do for a dog is let him sit idle and not work.

Latest posts