Chevy's 3.0-liter diesel Silverado 1500.............

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23 said:
There have been noticable improvements to the diesels since 2013. You may have not needed the improvements but others are taking advantage of them.

Ford is still the fastest, Ram still pulls the most, and GM is stuck in the middle. I'm a half azz gear head and do all my own wrench pulling. The only improvements to diesels since 2013 that I'm aware of is timing, fuel pressure or air delivery. But I'm all ears and willing to learn something new.

True Grit Farms said:
Brute 23 said:
There have been noticable improvements to the diesels since 2013. You may have not needed the improvements but others are taking advantage of them.

Ford is still the fastest, Ram still pulls the most, and GM is stuck in the middle. I'm a half azz gear head and do all my own wrench pulling. The only improvements to diesels since 2013 that I'm aware of is timing, fuel pressure or air delivery. But I'm all ears and willing to learn something new.
If you do your own wrenching it's no wonder you drive something with an inline 6.. the V8's are such a @%$# to work on... Buddy with a ford had to do his water pump (not sure what year), took all day.
Cummins water pump takes about a half an hour if you stop for a beer.

Nesikep said:
True Grit Farms said:
Brute 23 said:

If you do your own wrenching it's no wonder you drive something with an inline 6.. the V8's are such a @%$# to work on... Buddy with a ford had to do his water pump (not sure what year), took all day.
Cummins water pump takes about a half an hour if you stop for a beer.

The Duramax water pump job is 5.5 hours shop time. I put a water pump on my 92 Ford 7.3 on the side of the road in a couple of hours. New trucks are really nice unless you have to work on them...and having to pay someone to is even worse.
If I didn't feel like I was getting screwed 24-7-365 by the automobile industry I'd buy another new truck.

I had 5 switches put in my old D-max all 5 I blow 5 different smoke clouds. 💨💭💥☁️🌫 Once I rolled black smoke on a 🚔. 🙈🙉🙊 I didn't mean to I got carried away on the rolling black smoke on take off. 😂🤣😝

It's not just the pulling power. Grit needs to go drive a new '17 or up F350 four door dually Lariat on a 5-6 hour trip pulling 15-20k before he says someone needs their head examined or a gasser pulls just as well as a diesel. The new trucks ride and drive so nice it's hard to believe you're in a truck. No engine or road noise and a super nice interior.

I still drive my old '07 90% of the time and it pulls just fine but, It's nowhere near as nice as the new Ford. Nothing wrong with driving an older rig but there's also nothing wrong with driving a new one.

As nice as the power is in the new trucks, it's the hold back and braking power that is truly impressive. When you live in the hills like I do it's a real game changer.

Silver said:
As nice as the power is in the new trucks, it's the hold back and braking power that is truly impressive. When you live in the hills like I do it's a real game changer.

The brakes on my new Ford are awesome, that along with the power has me thinking about selling my road tractor.

I'm a bit disappointed in the exhaust brake of the Ford, though. My 2007.5 Dodge 6.7 had a lot more hold-back power, when it actually worked.

Silver said:

exhaust brakes are essential around here.. I have 50,000 miles on my front brake pads and I might be at half their life?.. there is no flat ground around here..

This hill isn't far from me

Nesikep said:
Silver said:

exhaust brakes are essential around here.. I have 50,000 miles on my front brake pads and I might be at half their life?.. there is no flat ground around here..

This hill isn't far from me

That is a big change just from my 15 to 17 Duramax. The exhaust brake on my 17 is VERY aggressive and comes in handy. I will have to relearn how to stop if I go back to a gas motor.

I can think of a lot of things a lot better investment than an 80k truck that in a couple years maybe worth 1/2 that. My old diesel truck is 17 years old and for the price of the new ones will patch around on it for a while yet. I don't care how good it pulls or how good it stops they are not worth that.

xHKpwQ8.png

Brute 23 said:
Yall are wrong. TGF already said not much has changed. Quit spreading yalls lies. :kid:

I'm still waiting for you to point out the changes since the late 2013 model trucks. About the biggest difference is Ford changed turbo chargers in the 2014 - 15 and up trucks. All three truck manufacturer's have good engines now, and all three manufacturer's struggle with the emissions.

jltrent said:
I can think of a lot of things a lot better investment than an 80k truck that in a couple years maybe worth 1/2 that. My old diesel truck is 17 years old and for the price of the new ones will patch around on it for a while yet. I don't care how good it pulls or how good it stops they are not worth that.

xHKpwQ8.png

You can buy the 80k pick up with the money made from the other investments. Lol. I'm with you on the cost. I really need a new feed truck but am struggling with what they cost...even for a gas rig.

True Grit Farms said:
Brute 23 said:
Yall are wrong. TGF already said not much has changed. Quit spreading yalls lies. :kid:

I'm still waiting for you to point out the changes since the late 2013 model trucks. About the biggest difference is Ford changed turbo chargers in the 2014 - 15 and up trucks. All three truck manufacturer's have good engines now, and all three manufacturer's struggle with the emissions.
Steel piston technology is going in the 2020 PS trucks. New steel pistons provide higher firing pressure capability and less friction – meaning improved performance and more horsepower and torque than ever." The 2020 Super Duty could very well have the first 500HP diesel on the market, and torque is easily going to be over 1,000lbft.

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/2020-6-7l-powerstroke-diesel-gets-steel-pistons-from-the-factory.1170863/

Lucky said:
jltrent said:

xHKpwQ8.png

You can buy the 80k pick up with the money made from the other investments. Lol. I'm with you on the cost. I really need a new feed truck but am struggling with what they cost...even for a gas rig.

You have to be nuts, or have more money than brains to spend $80k on a pickup truck. My wife has been telling me "tax wise" we need to buy a new truck for years. Problem is I don't think I could afford a new truck and cattle. I'll buy some land or a rental and just pay the stupid tax bill. Driving vehicles without payments makes those purchases possible.

jltrent said:
True Grit Farms said:
Brute 23 said:

Very little has changed in that short of time, but it is fixen to change...Wifes brother has worked for Mahle for 37 years and the new steel piston technology is fixen to go in the 2020 PS trucks. He works in QA and he said these will take the PS diesel engines to a new level as they will last longer and handle more HP. New steel pistons provide higher firing pressure capability and less friction – meaning improved performance and more horsepower and torque than ever." The 6.7L Powerstroke will leap frog the Cummins by a decent margin. The 2020 Super Duty could very well have the first 500HP diesel on the market, and torque is easily going to be over 1,000lbft. With these you can park your road tractors.

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/2020-6-7l-powerstroke-diesel-gets-steel-pistons-from-the-factory.1170863/

The Cummins will just one up it the following year. None of the three truck manufacturer's can make the power or torque that a 6.7 Cummins is capable of. Cummins has the 6.7 in marine use rated at 650 hp already.

True Grit Farms said:
jltrent said:
True Grit Farms said:
Very little has changed in that short of time, but it is fixen to change...Wifes brother has worked for Mahle for 37 years and the new steel piston technology is fixen to go in the 2020 PS trucks. He works in QA and he said these will take the PS diesel engines to a new level as they will last longer and handle more HP. New steel pistons provide higher firing pressure capability and less friction – meaning improved performance and more horsepower and torque than ever." The 6.7L Powerstroke will leap frog the Cummins by a decent margin. The 2020 Super Duty could very well have the first 500HP diesel on the market, and torque is easily going to be over 1,000lbft. With these you can park your road tractors.

The Cummins will just one up it the following year. None of the three truck manufacturer's can make the power or torque that a 6.7 Cummins is capable of. Cummins has the 6.7 in marine use rated at 650 hp already.
longevity of the Cummins at higher power ratings certainly isn't the problem, it'll be emissions at that power level, something the Marine engines don't have to worry so much about.. My old 12V is running around 600hp/1200ft lb...
If I went to 24V, Mahle has some steel pistons for them but they're expensive (Look up Duo-Therm pistons, they look GOOFY!)
It's featured on the top shelf in this vid in the first minute (one on the left in the thumbnail image)
https://youtu.be/CJyRRRr6Fk0

True Grit Farms said:
Lucky said:
jltrent said:

xHKpwQ8.png

You have to be nuts, or have more money than brains to spend $80k on a pickup truck. My wife has been telling me "tax wise" we need to buy a new truck for years. Problem is I don't think I could afford a new truck and cattle. I'll buy some land or a rental and just pay the stupid tax bill. Driving vehicles without payments makes those purchases possible.

Never Limit yourself Grit. Get the 80k truck to go look at the new land you just purchased. If the cows aren't making some money I'd get out or change what you're doing until they do. It's all easy. Remember with a little hard work you can have it all. :lol:

Lucky said:
True Grit Farms said:
Lucky said:

Never Limit yourself Grit. Get the 80k truck to go look at the new land you just purchased. If the cows aren't making some money I'd get out or change what you're doing until they do. It's all easy. Remember with a little hard work you can have it all. :lol:

I've been retired for 5 years now so hard work isn't in my future. I'll be collecting my first SS check next year, so maybe I'll buy a new truck on the taxpayers. My cows keep me busy and out of trouble when I'm not hunting or fishing.

Latest posts