CIDRs in the Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

WB Angus

Reaction score
Put the CIDRs in the cows this morning and gave them a GNrH shot. Will be breeding on the 29th. Did the heifers a couple weeks ago minus the shot. They all (cows and heifers) will be run through next Friday and given a GNrH shot. Cows will have CIDRs removed at that time as well. The heifers had CIDRs for two weeks and the CIDRs were removed on Wednesday. Anyhow here are a few pictures. You should wear gloves when handling this stuff too I know I'm not in the picture. 20211119_082745.jpg20211119_091421.jpg20211119_083157.jpg20211119_083204.jpg20211119_084359.jpg20211119_084932.jpg

WB I'm a couple days ahead of you, CIDRs and the first shot was on Tuesday, I pull CIDRs and give another shot on day 7 (next Tuesday), then breed the day after Thanksgiving (next Friday) and give the final shot.

Now my questions are,
Is that a chlorhexadine solution in the buckets?
What method are you using to determine if it takes?
If it doesn't take do you AI again or use a cleanup bull?
Do you DNA test to determine which bull is the sire?

Put the CIDRs in the cows this morning and gave them a GNrH shot. Will be breeding on the 29th. Did the heifers a couple weeks ago minus the shot. They all (cows and heifers) will be run through next Friday and given a GNrH shot. Cows will have CIDRs removed at that time as well. The heifers had CIDRs for two weeks and the CIDRs were removed on Wednesday. Anyhow here are a few pictures. You should wear gloves when handling this stuff too I know I'm not in the picture.
Isn't that shot next Friday PG instead of GNrH? With the second GNrH shot at the time of insemination.

We didn't clip them short but I've heard something similar. What I heard was that you should insert the CIDR with the tail pointing down versus tail up. I guess it is less likely for them to get a hold of in the down position

We didn't clip them short but I've heard something similar. What I heard was that you should insert the CIDR with the tail pointing down versus tail up. I guess it is less likely for them to get a hold of in the down position
If the plastic string/tail is pointing up, it will poke and irritate the underside of the cow's tail. I trim them since they are so long.

As simme pointed out they all will get a PG shot on Friday and the second GnRH shots will be at the time of insemination. We use the 7 day protocol on cows and 14 day on heifers 20211119_134111.jpg
20211119_134054.jpg

We do not clip the tails on our CIDRs and haven't had an issue with not clipping but I have heard some people do.

WB I'm a couple days ahead of you, CIDRs and the first shot was on Tuesday, I pull CIDRs and give another shot on day 7 (next Tuesday), then breed the day after Thanksgiving (next Friday) and give the final shot.

Now my questions are,
Is that a chlorhexadine solution in the buckets?
What method are you using to determine if it takes?
If it doesn't take do you AI again or use a cleanup bull?
Do you DNA test to determine which bull is the sire?
We use clean up bulls and typically turn them in 10 days after insemination. We do DNA all of our registered stock as well. All the heifers will be preg checked and the vet we use is very effective at determining AI or "bull bred". With turning the bulls in 10 days later is also fairly easy to determine by the birth dates of the calves. If they don't take to AI they typically for us get bred natural service on their second cycle Hence 21 days or so later birth of calves. And yes chlorhexidine solution in the buckets.

WB thanks for the reply. I was reading about the blood pregnancy testing and they need a minimum of 28 days after conception to be able to give a result. I don't want to wait that long before using a clean up bull and I also didn't want to forced to use a DNA test (I've had issues with Zoetis and the DNA results they provide, I guess it's more their interpretation of the results, but that's a subject for another thread) so if I follow suit I can easily determine the sire based on number of days after AI until the calf is born.
AI date + 283 days = AI sire
AI date + 21 days + 283 days = Clean up bull

WB thanks for the reply. I was reading about the blood pregnancy testing and they need a minimum of 28 days after conception to be able to give a result. I don't want to wait that long before using a clean up bull and I also didn't want to forced to use a DNA test (I've had issues with Zoetis and the DNA results they provide, I guess it's more their interpretation of the results, but that's a subject for another thread) so if I follow suit I can easily determine the sire based on number of days after AI until the calf is born.
AI date + 283 days = AI sire
AI date + 21 days + 283 days = Clean up bull
The guessing game is in between those dates. Say a calf is born AI date + 293 days. 10 days late or 11 days early? They can be up to 2 weeks early or 2 weeks late. Heat cycles maybe 18 days to 24 days, so that adds to the uncertainty. Then you can decide that maybe the calf is a little small, so it must be early to the cleanup bull. But, is it?

Then you can decide that maybe the calf is a little small, so it must be early to the cleanup bull. But, is it?
Or is it just because that cow tends to have small calves no matter which bull it's bred to? (reference to one of you other threads)
I guess if I have one that's at a questionable time, and Murphy's Law says that it's bound to happen, I guess I can do a DNA test on that calf.

WB, good photos. Do you use lubricant on the applicator or just the slipperyness of the chlorhexidene? I smear a bit of lubricant on the applicator and then a bit on the vulva. I find that bit on the vulva makes it very easy to slip it in and makes it much more comfortable for the cow, especially the heifers.
I do not clip the tail, the natural curl on it has it laying comfortably out of harms way. I did clip them the first year I used them about 14 years ago but found it made them stick out a bit and some retracted inside.
I will often have them out with the bull just 48 hrs after signs of heat especially the last group that I do but I keep a close eye on who he is hanging around with. I don't have much trouble identifying the sire, I don't DNA all of them but do do genomics on all the heifers I retain which does do parent verification and so far all have been correct. With the early batches I do I put patches on about 18 days post AI and try to pick up any rebreeds. My batches are only small numbers around 8-10, enough for them to have a bit of an orgy so I can prioritise who to inseminate and when but not too many to overwork my poor old arms and hands.

Ken

WB, good photos. Do you use lubricant on the applicator or just the slipperyness of the chlorhexidene? I smear a bit of lubricant on the applicator and then a bit on the vulva. I find that bit on the vulva makes it very easy to slip it in and makes it much more comfortable for the cow, especially the heifers.
I do not clip the tail, the natural curl on it has it laying comfortably out of harms way. I did clip them the first year I used them about 14 years ago but found it made them stick out a bit and some retracted inside.
I will often have them out with the bull just 48 hrs after signs of heat especially the last group that I do but I keep a close eye on who he is hanging around with. I don't have much trouble identifying the sire, I don't DNA all of them but do do genomics on all the heifers I retain which does do parent verification and so far all have been correct. With the early batches I do I put patches on about 18 days post AI and try to pick up any rebreeds. My batches are only small numbers around 8-10, enough for them to have a bit of an orgy so I can prioritise who to inseminate and when but not too many to overwork my poor old arms and hands.

Ken
Ken i don't use any lubricant just the chlorhexidine and I do not force anything a lot of the times a simple slight back and forth rotation does the trick. Thank you for the positive comments on the photos. I know I leave some things out and still learn more each year (which is key we never stop learning and looking to improve) but I do hope these photos help those that are curious about the process

The guessing game is in between those dates. Say a calf is born AI date + 293 days. 10 days late or 11 days early? They can be up to 2 weeks early or 2 weeks late. Heat cycles maybe 18 days to 24 days, so that adds to the uncertainty. Then you can decide that maybe the calf is a little small, so it must be early to the cleanup bull. But, is it?
That is true simme but with the the assumption that if bred on x date especially with the hormones in overdrive thanks to CIDRs and drugs then if they don't take on that cycle then the 10 day wait til the bulls are turned in they aren't in that standing heat until their next cycle. Hence pretty accurate by going by birth date. Yes we do we tend to have calves hitting the ground earlier than their due date. We usually observe this and have no doubt who the sire is. The preg check and DNA usually confirms our observations

J+ keep us updated as I will. Glad to answer any questions I can. We have been doing this for the past 11 years or so and still learn more each time. We use a AI rep that used to be an Extension Rep in our area. I promise if you keep looking to better your herd and not give up on this process of AI you will be pleased with the results. I believe there's no better way for a little guy to use big $ studs than to AI. We couldn't afford to buy the bulls whose semen we use.

J+ keep us updated as I will. Glad to answer any questions I can. We have been doing this for the past 11 years or so and still learn more each time. We use a AI rep that used to be an Extension Rep in our area. I promise if you keep looking to better your herd and not give up on this process of AI you will be pleased with the results. I believe there's no better way for a little guy to use big $ studs than to AI. We couldn't afford to buy the bulls whose semen we use.
Yes it is amazing when you think you have things down pat how you can pick up little snippets that help the process. I find youtube videos usefull and like to watch a few leading up to doing my breeding and even ones I have seen before I often pick up something small that might be helpfull. Lets face it most of us are only doing this for a few weeks in every year so you inevitably get a bit rusty between drinks.

Ken

From what I've been told you should be using lubricant. The reason is the lubricant stops any irritation and if the lining of the vagina becomes irritated it will not absord hormone until the inflamation goes away. The lubricant also helps transfer the hormone from the cidr. Similar story putting the cidr in if the vulva is covered in manure.

Latest posts