Cross Your Fingers.......

Help Support CattleToday:

robertwhite

Reaction score
I am crossing my fingers and ask that you folks do too.

Got a 2 yr old heifer that is bagged up, puffed up and starting to drip. What concerns me is that she is about a 1/4 pounder short of a happy meal. (Yes, seriously) She has been pretty good with other cows calves in just watching over them, but I have no idea how she will react to her own and hope she has no delivery issues.

And yes, I realize that some of you would have shipped her long ago, but she is a super sweet girl who just happens to be a bit sloooooow. :frowns:

I'll keep em crossed for you. Calving heifers can be an adventure. Never can tell how they are gonna react once the calf hits the ground. Do you have her penned up or close by somewhere you can get her up if she runs into any issues, or is she out in the field with the other cows? Hopefully everything will go smooth and she'll surprise you and be a great momma.

She is close and will come when called if need to. My main concern is that she doesn't freak out. As I said, she is unfortunately a little "mentally challenged" as far as we can figure.

Just keep a close eye on her, but odds are everything will go fine. Those mothering instincts are amazing. At first they are like, whew! Glad that thing is outta me. They lay there for a minute, then the calf moves or bleats and you can just see them shift gears mentally and the calf becomes the focus of their world.

Man, did she calve quickly. Heifer had her calf (girl, I think) in a matter of minutes. She cleaned the calf and is allowing it to nurse.

Funny thing is that for being a "little slow", she is extremely protective. She will not even let me within 15ft of the calf before she puts herself between us. :clap:

So yes folks, even a somewhat mentally slow cow can be a fine mother. I am keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way.

I was going to suggest that to find out how SLOW she was, just run up to her calf and make it bawl.

Good to hear! I kind of thought she was close if dripping milk. She sounds like a good mother. Congratulations!

dun":1j02wkdc said:
I was going to suggest that to find out how SLOW she was, just run up to her calf and make it bawl.

Don't laugh. I just had to kind of do that.....again :frowns:

I don't know what it is about this farm, but every calf just loves to bed down in the tall grass around the stock pond. Well, as with others, this one decided to lay down WAY to close to the edge (as in about 2ft and there is a 5ft drop off). I was keeping an eye on the calf and the momma was standing right over her. Of course, then it started to pour down rain and the calf hunkered down more. I then had do make the decision to take a chance on rescuing a baby calf from the water or take a chance on grabbing it up from the mother. Raincoat and gloves on, grab up the now shivering calf (girl) away from momma (who allowed me to, but wasn't happy at all) and carry her about 200 yards to the barn. Locked calf and momma up in a big stall with hay/water. I'll let them out tomorrow when the calf has dried out and keep the gate to the pasture with pond locked.

Thanks all for the well wishes. Still waiting on 4 other calves.

Glad to hear they are doing good. Sounds like she is going to be a good momma after all. I think you did the right thing by moving the calf away from there. I bet you will sleep alot better tonight.

Quick Question...........

Momma and Calf were put up in barn yesterday after the pond incident. This morning it is rainy and cold (40*) and although I was planning on letting them out, now I am not quite sure. Calf is about 45-50 lbs. She was just nursing, but being that it is pretty nasty out I am a little concerned.

Do I let them out, or keep them locked in?

Gale Seddon":seily1ct said:
I myself would probably keep them in until the rain stops. Most people probably would not.

Well that didn't help. :lol:

It is now more of a mist than steady rain, but it is supposed to dip to 30* tonight. I have no problem keeping them in, but am wondering if it will do anything to the calf by:
1. Not being exposed to the elements
2. Not being able to run around and get her wobbly legs going a little better. (stall is around 14x14)

If I let them out, I seriously doubt I will be able to get them back up later.

Keep them in for a few days won't hurt as long as mama has enough to eat. Now that I have them in, I would not turn them back out to the cold/ wet weather.

Open the dorr and let them come and go as they please. As long as the calf has a windbreak, getting wet and cold shouldn't hurt it.

dun":3wy4wtis said:
Open the dorr and let them come and go as they please. As long as the calf has a windbreak, getting wet and cold shouldn't hurt it.

Well, thats just it. Unless the calf goes into or right up next to the barn, there is no windbreak. The pastures are wide open and the surrounding area is wide open bean fields. Basically, my place sits in the middle of fields.

Latest posts