Fingers Crossed

Help Support CattleToday:

RustyTub

Reaction score
Fingers crossed that AI works this time. Started a registered Dexter cow this morning with a CIDR. She stayed open for spring calving AI earlier this year, but I wanted to keep her around and give it one more try. She came to me bred and had a nice bull calf, her second to my knowledge. I'll pull the CIDR on Christmas then the AI tech will be here Wednesday am. We'll know in a month following whether she gets to stay or not. Like I said, fingers crossed.

Was the calf she had sired by an AI breeding or a natural bull breeding? She may have been sold because they couldn't get her bred AI???
Is she a pet? or do you have other cattle?
I believe her first two were natural, but would have to confirm. I've not had a bull on property so everything to date has been AI. She's one of three cows and three calves currently. Took one open cow/calf to sale after she didn't take AI earlier this year. They aren't pets, rather a source of meat every few years.

I'm keeping her bull calf intact to see how he looks. I'd rather not breed Dexter over Aberdeen, but it's not the end of the world since they're just percentages. and it's just for butcher.