Dairy in beef.

Help Support CattleToday:

Hardnosecattleco

Reaction score
Here's a question for all you guys. Does anyone cross dairy in there beef herds? I always try to make sure atleast one generation has Holstein in there blood lines then I put a big push on milk when I'm picking out bulls. Right wrong or indifferent it's what I do and it works really well for me. Just seeing if anyone else does it. I see most the big dealers (genex and abs) have been pushing these cross breeds

I don't know, depends on your market I guess.. around here if buyers even get a whiff of dairy in the beef calves the price will be really bad... I just pick out cows that milk well and they have plenty for 1 calf.

Lithuanian Farmer has a considerable amount of dairy in her herd, but she also has Belgian Blue blood in there to put meat back onto them

I can't imagine that it really pays, but if I had to do it I would use a solid red milking shorthorn bull. You can get a lot of milk without quite as much of the dairy "type" as you'd get with holsteins or jerseys.

Most of the push for crossbreeding has been about adding value to dairy cull calves, not the other way around.

Buck Randall said:
I can't imagine that it really pays, but if I had to do it I would use a solid red milking shorthorn bull. You can get a lot of milk without quite as much of the dairy "type" as you'd get with holsteins or jerseys.

Most of the push for crossbreeding has been about adding value to dairy cull calves, not the other way around.
Yes, the Jerseys are really hard to mask the color pattern, though Holsteins you could use a meaty black bull on them.. but then you will probably have a big, evidently dairy frame to fill still. I do like the shorthorns, and if you stay away from the roans and use a good red bull on them, you should have a nice calf..

I think with good selection on beef breeds you can get as much milk as you'll ever need for one calf, so unless you're grafting on extras, it's not worth it.. and if you are grafting extras, perhaps just get a full dairy cow and give her 4 of them to take care of

Hardnosecattleco said:
Does anyone cross dairy in there beef herds?
I see most the big dealers (genex and abs) have been pushing these cross breeds.
Buck Randall said:
Most of the push for crossbreeding has been about adding value to dairy cull calves,
not the other way around.
100% correct. Not 1 big dealer has ever pushed dairy on beef... every push has been beef on dairy.
To say otherwise is spreading misinformation about genex and abs.

Another breed that is dual purpose is the Fleckvieh. They are white faced and their offspring will do quite well. In an artivle that was talking about carcass quality, the Fleckvieh breed has as much or more influence than Angus.

There is also the Normande, which is from France, that is also dual purpose. In France their meat is as highly valued as Angus is here in the US.

If interested go to our website where we have over 300 bulls listed on our bull listing pages.

http://dairycattleregistry.com

I don't have personal experience, but a friend is using limmies on his jersey's. He's only had a couple with a foot back, no troubles otherwise calving. He's mentioned they've got a lot more spunk than their full jersey calves

Son of Butch said:
Hardnosecattleco said:
Does anyone cross dairy in there beef herds?
I see most the big dealers (genex and abs) have been pushing these cross breeds.
Buck Randall said:
Most of the push for crossbreeding has been about adding value to dairy cull calves,
not the other way around.
100% correct. Not 1 big dealer has ever pushed dairy on beef... every push has been beef on dairy.
To say otherwise is spreading misinformation about genex and abs.
The abs rep that stopped at my place definitely did atleast was trying to push there dairy crosses on me. I don't do business with them. I have a good relation with my genex breeder so we are constantly looking to improve upon the herd.

Hardnosecattleco said:
Does anyone cross dairy in there beef herds? I always try to make sure at least one generation
has Holstein in there blood lines....
Sounds more like the ABS guy was trying to provide what you the customer wanted.

In Canada the "Hays Converter" breed used a great Brown Swiss cow (Janye?) as it's foundation,
line breeding her sons on herefords x holsteins until Canadian Senator Hays herd achieved the
status of a new officially recognized 'breed'.

Are they even around any more?

southernultrablack said:
Don't forget about Gelbvieh. They were a dual purpose breed in the beginning

I was trying to avoid breed pimping, but definitely true :)

Cbcr, I do like the old school simmentals that look like the Fleckviehs today

Saw this old gal at the sale barn.. she's got tons of meat and looks like raising twins wouldn't be a challenge for her

Nesikep said:
southernultrablack said:

I was trying to avoid breed pimping, but definitely true :)

Cbcr, I do like the old school simmentals that look like the Fleckviehs today

Saw this old gal at the sale barn.. she's got tons of meat and looks like raising twins wouldn't be a challenge for her
"Breed pimpin" haha I have never herd that one before. U sir made my day haha

southernultrablack said:

Yes the Gelbvieh was dual purpose in the beginning, selection here in the US has been more focused on beef, so their dual purpose is very limited.

Some of the other beef breeds that we have here in the US, were or are still dual purpose in their home country.

The Fleckvieh, while a dual purpose breed, their are lines that are better suited for beef while others are better for dairy.

cbcr said:
southernultrablack said:

Yes the Gelbvieh was dual purpose in the beginning, selection here in the US has been more focused on beef, so their dual purpose is very limited.

Some of the other beef breeds that we have here in the US, were or are still dual purpose in their home country.

The Fleckvieh, while a dual purpose breed, their are lines that are better suited for beef while others are better for dairy.
This begs the question, "How much milk do you need?"... At some point the extra milk is going to be hard on the udder if the young calf can't keep up, and it'll mean that cow probably eats a helluva lot. That's why I do like the dual purpose breeds that have transitioned into predominantly beef now, Lots of milk for the calf, moderately sized and meaty

Hardnosecattleco said:
Here's a question for all you guys. Does anyone cross dairy in there beef herds? I always try to make sure atleast one generation has Holstein in there blood lines then I put a big push on milk when I'm picking out bulls. Right wrong or indifferent it's what I do and it works really well for me. Just seeing if anyone else does it. I see most the big dealers (genex and abs) have been pushing these cross breeds
Why? Most beef breeds have enough milk to raise a calf. Are you planning on milking your cows?

Latest posts