Diesel additives cold weather

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
As you know it gets cold in Minnesota. I have used anti gel products in the past but always added #1 diesel when the cold gets serious. I am having a hard time finding #1 to blend in. Maybe just a local short term fluke, My question is the product I use says it will be good below zero. Will it in fact do the job if I find no #1 and do you guys have a product to recommend? Thanks farmguy

I prefers Howes diesel treatment.
It contains a lubricant and cleaner, contains no alcohol so it doesn't dry out your o rings etc like some of the other brands.
You can adjust the temp it is good to by how much you add to you fuel

The Power Service 911 is for when it's already started jelling. That's why they have it in a red container, I guess.

Use the Power Service in the white container to prevent needing the 911.

Or just do a search: diesel winter additives

iu

911 does nothing to prevent gelling it is a additive that is used to degell once you are already gelled up. It is a one and done product that should not be used as a preventative . The same company that produces it also makes power service which is a alcohol based preventative

The Power Service 911 is for when it's already started jelling. That's why they have it in a red container, I guess.

iu
That's what we use. Which reminds me, it's that time of year.

iu
My cousin has worked at the local Freightliner place for 15-20 years and he recommends the white jug power service.

iu
Very common, and a very poor product, for Minnesota.

As you know it gets cold in Minnesota. I have used anti gel products in the past but always added #1 diesel when the cold gets serious. I am having a hard time finding #1 to blend in. Maybe just a local short term fluke, My question is the product I use says it will be good below zero. Will it in fact do the job if I find no #1 and do you guys have a product to recommend? Thanks farmguy
I've always mixed in Kerosene. Jan/feb I will go close to 50/50. I'm in south/central NH.

@Caustic Burno will know the definitive answer.
Depending on the region it was normally 20% Kerosene 80% diesel. You definitely need a lubricant like TC-W outboard 2 cycle oil.
Since 2006 diesel hasn't had the lubricant quality and kerosene will be less as there are less long chain paraffin molecules .
I half raised the boy that's over blending in the refinery, next time I see him and I remember I will ask what they are adding for lubrication.

We use Howes or 911. Mix it in when fuelling up. We run summer diesel at times even in winter, that's just how we ended up because of timing of fuel deliveries.
We are in Alberta, where it can get cold. =D Like -40 C. Our tractors are not in the shed but parked outside, plugged in of course.
So far neither Howes nor 911 have let us down with fuel gelling bad enough that it would cause a problem running an engine. Granted, when it get's real cold I mix in a bit more of the stuff. Just in case. =D

Latest posts