$ EN Anomaly

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Final answer EN = +10
Consensus EN = +19

Their genetic combination (Hickock) shows up with a -14?

His dam is a $ EN of -3

I have noticed the same thing. Weird. I can see it coming up some as he gets older, but who knows. I am planning on using him pretty hard this spring

I wonder how the calculation used was able to connect such a shift... and how the feed efficiency of this sire's daughters is already known to be $14 worse than average..

$EN is an index. EPDs to make it are AVERAGES of potential expectations of calves with a range of lower and higher as expected possibilities. Add a parent with fire and ice mating history, the randomness of genes and you add to your wonderments. Add in constant line crossing and the genes remain more mixed with greater potential differences. A small cow with high milk can have the same $EN as a tall bull with low genetic milk potential. $EN is not the starting point of selection and really tells you anything without knowing background data.

Ebenezer":3gsjujrk said:
$EN is an index. EPDs to make it are AVERAGES of potential expectations of calves with a range of lower and higher as expected possibilities. Add a parent with fire and ice mating history, the randomness of genes and you add to your wonderments. Add in constant line crossing and the genes remain more mixed with greater potential differences. A small cow with high milk can have the same $EN as a tall bull with low genetic milk potential. $EN is not the starting point of selection and really tells you anything without knowing background data.

Interesting. So how do you perceive the conversation went deciding that this genetic combination would actually lose so much ground on $EN.

Latest posts