fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

Farm Fence Solutions":3t7zkh2w said:
If this forum had an easily accessed classified section, I'd think about telling everyone that the man that bought my old Shaver HD 12 skid steer mount post driver is done with his project, and ready to part ways with it of two and a half thousand bucks.......But there isn't any such easily accessed and convenient classified section, so I'll keep it to myself.
So it's too hard to click on forum index and click on a couple of hotlinks to access the classified section.

M-5":6mj9o573 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":6mj9o573 said:
If this forum had an easily accessed classified section, I'd think about telling everyone that the man that bought my old Shaver HD 12 skid steer mount post driver is done with his project, and ready to part ways with it of two and a half thousand bucks.......But there isn't any such easily accessed and convenient classified section, so I'll keep it to myself.
So it's too hard to click on forum index and click on a couple of hotlinks to access the classified section.

Yep. It's out of my comfort zone.

Farm Fence Solutions":1l0ttcbb said:
M-5":1l0ttcbb said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1l0ttcbb said:

LoL, says the guy that tell old timers to get out of their comfort zones with red brand wire and try something new like grpples and hurricane wire

M-5":2j32vn8u said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2j32vn8u said:
M-5":2j32vn8u said:

LoL, says the guy that tell old timers to get out of their comfort zones with red brand wire and try something new like grpples and hurricane wire

Hurricane Wire? That's a throwback. LOL
I'll give the new classifieds an honest chance before I pass judgement. Sorry for my hypocricy.

Farm Fence Solutions":1fzy23p1 said:
M-5":1fzy23p1 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1fzy23p1 said:

Hurricane Wire? That's a throwback. LOL
I'll give the new classifieds an honest chance before I pass judgement. Sorry for my hypocricy.
A bookmark makes it just one click.......

Hello friends, I'm fencing along a meandering creek line. There are many breaks and turns. For small stretches of less than 50 yards is a full brace assembly needed on 60 degree or grater change of direction, or can I do the center post only 5' apart instead of 8'. Is there a better way to fence along a meandering line. I'll go broke buying so many corner posts.

Thanks.

One more thing, does anyone know where to buy long handles (5-6') for post hole diggers. I've seen guys in Brazil using these post hole diggers with very long handles. Makes it easier to go 4' down, instead pounding while kneeling down. I was going to screw PVC pipe as an extension, but if I can get get longer handles it would be better.

Thx.

libertygarden":1tegwu4s said:
Hello friends, I'm fencing along a meandering creek line. There are many breaks and turns. For small stretches of less than 50 yards is a full brace assembly needed on 60 degree or grater change of direction, or can I do the center post only 5' apart instead of 8'. Is there a better way to fence along a meandering line. I'll go broke buying so many corner posts.

Thanks.

Yes, the brace is needed. Distance does not determine the measure of force acting on a post absorbing a change in direction - the amount of pull placed on stretching the wire determines the magnitude of force. Whether it is 50 yards or 100 yards, the magnitude to which you stretch the wire (measured in foot pounds of force) will determine the force on the post that is absorbing the change of direction. If you don't brace properly, then be prepared to watch the posts absorbing the force begin to surrender to the pull of force. It is simply a matter of physics.

libertygarden":2n2vl78l said:

Thanks.

a 5-6" post works fine as a brace post.. you don't need a big 8" post.

Thanks for the responses. Would a corner post with a diagonal post into the ground work? This is all wood, no pipe.

libertygarden":35fnbmyh said:
Thanks for the responses. Would a corner post with a diagonal post into the ground work? This is all wood, no pipe.
It would if you can build it to counteract the force applied against it. Personally, I don't want any obstructions extending into the working area along a fence. That is the benefit among other benefits of in-line bracing.

libertygarden":2kf20z7x said:
How would it obstruct? This would be like an N brace without the right post sticking out.

I have long fence lines. My mower covers my tracks. I drive along the fence. If there is an N brace, I have to turn out to avoid it. I prefer not to be bothered with that. No offense to anyone, I don't want N braces on my farm unless it is an unavoidable circumstance.

I guess my point is that an N brace is in line just like an H brace. That's why asked how it obstructs. I see your point if you put one into the pasture.

libertygarden":2xwv3sbl said:
I guess my point is that an N brace is in line just like an H brace. That's why asked how it obstructs. I see your point if you put one into the pasture.

I am sorry. I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about a brace like FFS pictured above. You mean an in-line diagonal brace. I still prefer the H Brace design.

Inline braces work fine, they just cost twice as much.
Any utility contractor supply outfit will have long handled double shovels. Just putting Long handles on normal diggers won't do the trick, unless the top of your hole is 3' wide.

libertygarden":3hmqaqzi said:
One more thing, does anyone know where to buy long handles (5-6') for post hole diggers. I've seen guys in Brazil using these post hole diggers with very long handles. Makes it easier to go 4' down, instead pounding while kneeling down. I was going to screw PVC pipe as an extension, but if I can get get longer handles it would be better.

Thx.
I just gave away a set not long ago, but they were very old and they worked kinda strange. The handles would fully scissor accross/past each other. Overall height was over 8' long, closer to 9'. You can run across them every once in awhile at flea markets...they are linemen's diggers, that they used to plant utility poles with back before there was an auger on just about every bucket truck the electric companies had.

They do have some modern hand posthole diggers that will dig a 4' deep hole without the top of the hole being widened very much at all. I have some of those too. They take some getting used to.....They are double jointed. The double pivot point means you push the handles together to close the clamshell instead of spreading the handles to grab the dirt.
I actually found mine at Tractor Supply..all steel, rugged, but pretty heavy.

https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/pos ... ole-digger

They look somewhat like this, tho this one isn't really a double jointed digger:
27PHD-12-9_Bup1.jpg

the actual thing:
double_joint2.jpg

I hate the following website and most of what it represents, but it does explain the double pivot phd.
https://www.motherearthnews.com/homeste ... az83mjzraw

Thanks for everyone's input. I've got about 1.5 miles of perimeter fence to do. I've done lots of mistakes that have resulted in extra work, but I'm getting there. This is a picture of a small stretch of fence by the creek that needs to be replaced or fixed. The t-posts are good and the wire so-so in many parts, but the corner braces are all rotted.

The mosquitos and ticks are big and hungry in this area.

Latest posts